Shotgun Forum banner

Ted Williams M-300 - 12ga. - 2 3/4 auto not ejecting shells

4K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  dakota7250 
#1 ·
I bought a Ted Williams M-300 (Winchester 1400) 12ga for my son and the guy I bought it from said it didn't eject shells all the time (we bought it cheap), I took it out to the range and he was right 3 out of 4 didn't eject but stuck in the receiver. I pulled the gun apart and gave it a good cleaning and replaced the extractor and the extractor spring. I took it back to the range again and this time about 1 out of 4 didn't eject. It looks as if the bolt wasn't coming back far enough to extract the shell but when I pulled the bolt all the way back it ejected the spent shell just fine. Any suggestions what would cause this.

#2 ·
Any suggestions what would cause this.
Possible causes.

1. Underpowered shells

2. Recoil spring tube that is crudded up and hasn't been cleaned since 1967. :lol:

3. Rough chamber

4. Gun not adequately broken in

5. Improper or inadequate lubrication

6. Gas ports partially clogged

7. Gas system not properly sealing

8. El Cheapo shells

#3 ·
1. Underpowered shells- Maybe, I was shooting some older shells, maybe 15 years old

2. Recoil spring tube that is crudded up and hasn't been cleaned since 1967. No,I cleaned it very good

3. Rough chamber-I'll check that out

4. Gun not adequately broken in.No,Very well broken in

5. Improper or inadequate lubrication.No, well lubed

6. Gas ports partially clogged.No, cleaned them well

7. Gas system not properly sealingMaybe, how do you check this??????????

8. El Cheapo shells The Federal shells are shorter, 2 5/8" and they ejected fine, the Remington shells are 2 3/4" and they didn't eject, I noticed that late last night

#4 ·
I can't tell you exactly how to check the gas system because I'm not familiar with that particular gun. You'll just have to look at it and try to figure out how the gas system seals so that you can check for possible leakage.

If one type shell works without problem and another type shell has problems, then avoid the ones that have problems. Maybe it's ammo specific.

2 5/8" shells?????? HUH??? :?: :?:

Please describe both shells better (weight of shot, dram equivalents, name, etc)

#6 ·
Those Remington Peters Shur Shot shells may be 30+ years old. Age doesn't usually hurt shell performance PROVIDED they are stored properly and haven't gotten wet or been exposed to excessive heat. Try some new ammo, preferably 1 1/8 ounce or heavier and 3 Drams or heavier and let us know the results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.