Shotgun Forum banner

Looking for the Muzzle Brake from a 500 Road Blocker

21K views 87 replies 29 participants last post by  SicSemper 
#1 ·
I would like to upgrade my shotgun with the muzzle brake that comes on the 500 Road blocker.

Mossberg does not sell the part yet, you can only get it on the Road Blocker

If you happen to have one and want to get rid of it send an email to bobadebt@ec.rr.com

Let me know what the condition of the brake is and how much you want for it.

Thanks

#2 ·
Boba Debt said:
I would like to upgrade my shotgun with the muzzle brake that comes on the 500 Road blocker.
Yikes! No offense, but are you really sure you want to do that? They definitely have use on their intended platform: the .50 BMG. But on any shotgun? Of course, to each his own for his own reasons, I guess.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if there is any truth to Mossberg recalling these things via a letter to owners, regarding these horrendous things spitting shot out to the sides? I've seen a few internet rumblings, but no reference on the Mossberg site.

#3 ·
I don't know about shot, but noise certainly spills from the side. I heard from a friend that shot one on an indoor range with ballistic panels on either side that it made his ears ring even when stuffed and muffed.

A shotgun with that style brake is one combination I would never recommend to anyone

#7 ·
Desert01 said:
You can't add the brake to a barrel you have to replace the whole barrel.
Someone who called Mossberg in about April 2009 was told that the Mossberg Road Blocker barrel will be available for purchase next year (in 2010). As for right now, Mossberg contacted by telephone as many Road Blocker owners as they could and asked the owners to return their barrels in freight-paid, pre-labeled shipping boxes that Mossberg sent them. Mossberg only told the owners that the barrels were being temporarily recalled for safety reasons and that Mossberg needed to test the barrels. Apparently Mossberg does not classify this as an official recall. Someone reported that Mossberg had received a complaint (or complaints) that pellets had exited through the muzzle brake ports.

Also, I can find no part number for the Mossberg Road Blocker barrel, so be cautioned that you should ignore any internet offers for Mossberg barrel #92335 that look like: "Mossberg : Product ID: 166326 : MFG# 92335 : MOSS 92335 870XBL 12 18 CB BEAD MZLBK." This is listed with several replacement barrels that Mossberg sells for Remington 870 shotguns. I would be surprised if even one #92335 has ever actually been manufactured, but three offers for $162.38, $170.72, and $199 are "back-ordered," "out of stock," or "available soon." Sure... :roll:

#13 ·
The muzzle break is for tactical purposes. Specifically military door-breaching. Using a door breaching round you could damage the barrel in a tactical situation. Not good. This weapon ensures door breaching personell can continue firing if needed. I have one and have no complaints at all. It IS a bit louder than others, so be sure to have ear protection

#14 ·
xranger said:
The muzzle break is for tactical purposes. Specifically military door-breaching. Using a door breaching round you could damage the barrel in a tactical situation. Not good. This weapon ensures door breaching personell can continue firing if needed. I have one and have no complaints at all. It IS a bit louder than others, so be sure to have ear protection
WHAT?!?

#17 ·
sjohnny said:
xranger said:
The BMG style muzzle break is intended in this instance to deflect the energy of the shot to the sides. You know, so if Elmer Fudd sticks his finger in the end, the barrel won't blow... Same principle anyway.
WHAT?!?
Easy there, Urban Aggriever. I think that's decent Newb sarcasm.

#18 ·
Wow... in BOLD red letters and all... Seriously, did I say something in some cryptic language? What exactly was it that you didn't understand? Listen, I'm just a former special operations soldier with friends and aquaintances still in. I have the weapon in question and thought I'd clear up some of the rather obvious confusion surrounding the function of the break. If I broke some unspoken rule, sorry man. Chalk it up to me being a Newb (haven't heard that in 25 years).

#19 ·
The brake on the roadblocker is styled after the brake on a .50 BMG. It's not designed to be pushed up against an object for breaching it's for taming the recoil of a relatively stout round. The breaching end is a different thing all together.

#21 ·
Thanks for the correction. I knew the connection to the .50. And was told that this was a case of finding an reason to put it on a shotgun. Sure it would look cool, but what use would it really be? So, the theory went, somebody decided it could be used as a breacher and it went into production. Oh well, can't trust everything you hear... I guess the guys in the field will be pretty embarrassed when I tell 'em. And no, I'm NOT an operator. I'm a civilian... Just a guy with some experience under his belt. That's all... Touchy group... Damn shame

#22 ·
xranger said:
Wow... in BOLD red letters and all... Seriously, did I say something in some cryptic language? What exactly was it that you didn't understand? Listen, I'm just a former special operations soldier with friends and aquaintances still in. I have the weapon in question and thought I'd clear up some of the rather obvious confusion surrounding the function of the break. If I broke some unspoken rule, sorry man. Chalk it up to me being a Newb (haven't heard that in 25 years).
I think the confusion is the perception that OFM brought this

out for breaching, when they already had this

available for ballistic breaching.
Could you explain why you are under the impression that the device universally known as a breaching device is abandoned in favor of something that is universally known as a muzzle brake and compensator? Why the device with the little grippy teeth that are so handy in making sure that the muzzle doesn't move off target, and those nice long longitudinal slots that allow debris, gasses, and other high speed particles to vent to the side away from the shooter isn't for breaching, but the large blocky smooth-faced kludge that vents crap directly back towards the shooter and anybody around him is?

What exactly is this used to breach?

The picture is small, but that's a 702 Plinkster in .22. I cannot imagine a breaching role for that.

Answering those accurately just might go a long ways towards clearing up any confusion.

#23 ·
xranger said:
Touchy group... Damn shame
Not touchy. But if you roll out something as fact that is widely known to be incorrect here and use your experience as a special operations soldier to bolster your claim, you're going to get called on it pretty quickly here.

#24 ·
After extensive research I have learned two things:

1) if some wascally wabbit sticks its finger in the barrel, you will wish you had one of those "road blocker things" to keep your barrel from exploding

2) whatever you do, don't stick the barrel down the wabbit hole

those Warrner Brothers special forces training videos are a wealth of information

RJM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.