Shotgun Forum banner

Mag tubes longer than barrel?

13K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  alt154shiver 
#1 ·
I searched and didn't find this topic.

Any reason this isn't common on Tactical/HD shotguns? Seem like you could go out a couple shell lengths past the barrel or more without any chance of have a mag tube hit by any shot. I mean bayonets on rifles stick out much farther than that.

#4 ·
The general consensus is that you want the shortest barrel possible without significantly compromising velocity. As was said previously, having the longer tube negates this.

Most people don't run around with bayonets fixed for home defense. Hell, in the mil, the only time bayonets are used is for training for SHTF situations.

#10 ·
el Gaucho said:
Another thing to consider about extended mag tubes beyond the mag tube is that they can affect the pointability and balance of the SG. Extra rounds past the muzzle will make the SG nose heavy.
no more heavy than a longer barrel with a full length mag extension. In fact, you don't have the weight of the extra barrel, so if anything, it's lighter.

#11 ·
gspam1 said:
Well, if it it's a winner in 3gun, why not home defense? Aren't speed and accuracy important in 3gun? I'd rather have more rounds already in the magazine than in a shell carrier.
Three gun tends not to be done in really tight confines. As a result, longer magazines that stick out further and hold more shells are an advantage. In the tight confines of a house, I'd want the shortest barrel length possible, and with that goal, a magazine that sticks out past is pointless.

#18 ·
Just an additional note: The new/proposed IDPA 3-gun rules (proposal 8 I believe) state the magtube must not extend beyond the barrel and the max loadout is 5+1 thus excluding the requirement for pretty well any mag extension, i.e. back to basics.

This has nothing to do with other 3-gun competitions where almost anything goes in certain classes.

#19 ·
gspam1 said:
Ezra Smack said:
This is a sport specific niche that has no purpose whatsoever on a HD shotgun.
That's a strong statement. You can't envision a single scenario where a higher capacity magazine might be helpful in a home defense situation? I'm guessing you're a single shot shotgun advocate.
Extra capacity=good
Extra length=bad
I can't think of a single defensive situation where a longer gun would be helpful.

#20 ·
According to a number of experts, including agencies such as the NYPD, a 14" barrel is the best trade off between barrel length and magazine capacity for a "social" shotgun. That allows for a capacity of 5+1. A mossberg cut flush with the end of the magazine tube is 14". On Remingtons, if you cut the barrel flush to the end of a +1 extension, that gives you 14". Now, if you consider that your average HD gun is longer than 14", then shorter is better.

On purpose built 3 gun type shotguns, capacity is more important than barrel length, so you have people setting up tactical guns with barrels in the 24"-26" territory, and using full length magazine extensions that give a total capacity of 10 or more. Some people are even using Saigas loaded with 20 and 30 round drums. The advantage to this of course is that you can still have a short OAL, despite the massive magazine capacity, and the extra weight of ammunition sits closer to the COM of the gun, instead of way out near the muzzle.

If you were only going to use a particular shotgun in a setting where it was wide open and you could easily swing a 26" barrel, then the ammunition capacity would be nice. However, I'd rather have a shorter barrel with lower capacity in a place where I could have a gun that is longer with a higher capacity, than have the longer barrel in a place where the extra length gets in the way.

#21 ·
Will be nice when they pass that, but then my 14" OAL 5+1 Remy 870 will be banned because it has a muzzle brake. IDPA is still as much "gamer" as IPSC, just the other direction.

How about "shoot what ya got?" Novel idea I know.

Cassandra said:
Just an additional note: The new/proposed IDPA 3-gun rules (proposal 8 I believe) state the magtube must not extend beyond the barrel and the max loadout is 5+1 thus excluding the requirement for pretty well any mag extension, i.e. back to basics.

This has nothing to do with other 3-gun competitions where almost anything goes in certain classes.

#23 ·
gspam1 said:
Ezra Smack said:
This is a sport specific niche that has no purpose whatsoever on a HD shotgun.
That's a strong statement. You can't envision a single scenario where a higher capacity magazine might be helpful in a home defense situation? I'm guessing you're a single shot shotgun advocate.
Did I say anything about capacity? My 20" Benelli holds 9. 7+1+1 more on the shell carrier.

It is impracticle to have a magazine that extends way past the end of the muzzle ON A HD SHOTGUN. It defeats the purpose of having a short manuverable barrel and makes the unsupported magazine tube more prone to damage.

#25 ·
oregon shooter opined:
Same goes for a light......
There was recently a thread about this on a handgun forum. The point of having a compact 4" barrel is totally defeated by installing a light that sticks out 1" past the barrel. You might as well go with the full sized 5" barrel and enjoy the added velocity, longer sight radius, reduced muzzel flip and noise.

#26 ·
Ezra Smack said:
oregon shooter opined:
Same goes for a light......
There was recently a thread about this on a handgun forum. The point of having a compact 4" barrel is totally defeated by installing a light that sticks out 1" past the barrel. You might as well go with the full sized 5" barrel and enjoy the added velocity, longer sight radius, reduced muzzel flip and noise.
Pros & Cons with every piece of equipment
There is something to be gained by having a light extend past the barrel (eliminating the shadow cast by the barrel).
For most HD scenarios that may not be an issue as with most indoor scenarios there is enough light splash to make adequate target ID. But if your home has large open areas to cover, that extra inch or two (making an 18" with a surefire extended a 20") to eliminate that shadow may be worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.