Shotgun Forum banner

best gas operated shotgun

9K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Kraiza 
#1 ·
Dear comrades.

I am Paul from malta......I wish to purchase an all purposes 12 gauge shotgun to shoot mostly doves and quail......I wish it also to be gas operated....hence I would great appreciate your opinions/advice.

Sincere regards.

Paul :( :( :( :( :( :(

#2 ·
If you have any wal-mart around where you live,that still sell guns. Check out the beretta AL390 that they sell.Very good shotgun for the money.Plus it will do anything you are wanting plus more.

#3 ·
Paul, if you still reside in Malta--the Malta to the South of Sicily--you should be very close to a Beretta distributor. The 390/391/3901 actions are very good gas guns, and in many shooters' opinions, the best in the world.

Other good candidates are the Remington 1100 or 11-87 and the Browning Gold series. While the current Winchester Super X3 (and recent X2) is based on the X-1 model, it is not exactly the same gun. My favorite is the Winchester Super X Model 1.

#6 ·
What brands are available to you in your part of the world?

#9 ·
mstap said:
If you have any wal-mart around where you live,that still sell guns. Check out the beretta AL390 that they sell.Very good shotgun for the money.Plus it will do anything you are wanting plus more.
I've been to some of the Wal-Marts in Malta... They should all carry the 390... Should be stocked right next to the ftira...

#10 ·
comrade; that's right out of doctor zhivago, isn't it? and is that the malta, arizona wal mart or the republic of malta wal mart? i didn't know that beretta allowed their guns to be distributed around the world through wal mart stores. i'll have to visit a wal mart tomorrow to see. anyway,
caio, comrade

#11 ·
28 gauge said:
If I had to go with only one gas operated auto loader the Remington Model 1100 would be my pick.
My gunsmith has seen & repaired many gas operated shotguns,he told me that the Remington 1100 is up their with the best. He has been a gunsmith for 36 years. If I was going to get a gas operated shotgun,I would follow his advice. I do not like a gas gun, I'll stay with my recoil operated Browning A500R.

A500R

#12 ·
A500R said:
My gunsmith has seen & repaired many gas operated shotguns,he told me that the Remington 1100 is up their with the best. He has been a gunsmith for 36 years. If I was going to get a gas operated shotgun,I would follow his advice. I do not like a gas gun, I'll stay with my recoil operated Browning A500R.

A500R
A500R, like you I to perfer the recoil operated auto loaders.My favourites being the Browning Auto 5 and the Franchi 48 AL.

Have seen the Browning A500 shotguns but never had the chance to try one.

#13 ·
Welcome to SGW. There in no such thing as a best Gas operated model. What might be the best for one person may not be very good for the next.

There in fact many very good Gas operated models.

Here are some of the ones I like. Beretta AL391/Urika 2,3901,390, Browning Gold,Silver, Maxus, Franchi 712, Weatherby SAS, Winchester SX2,X3. All of the above are well made and reliable designs. They all have various useful features.

A dove gun and a quail gun have different attributes in they way that most like them to handle.

Hold as many of the above with different barrel lengths and pick the one yo like the best.

#14 ·
The following is post from the Moderator on the Gun Opinions forum. I own a Browning Gold and an Ithaca built by SKB semi-auto. Frankly both of these guns have been more reliable than Beretta and Remington semi-auto's I've seen being shot at the club I frequent. Please see what Worc has to say below as his experience is greater than mine.
Worc Post subject: Re: Browning Gold Sporting Clays Semi Auto?Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:45 am

Location: Michigan The Gold is now being replaced by the Silver line and the New Maxus. The Gold has been around for more than fifteen years and the Silver and Maxus are similar models.

Out of two dozen different auto loaders that are currently owned by my self and group of buddies, the Golds have been the best performing models. There are six models that we own and I sold my first Gold 3 1/2" model which would make seven.

Only one model is a clays model and it's my buddies wife's Gold Ladies Sporting model.

The forearm/receiver junction could have been better on the Golds. They are well made and reliable. They are also pretty easy to clean, can go longer periods between cleanings, and cycle light loads well. They also have shims to adjust their stocks for a better fit.

That price of $550.00 sounds very good and your other choice is not in the same league as the Gold.

#15 ·
Not that it makes much of a difference so don't take this as the gospel, but a group of my buddies just got back from Argentina dove hunting at some big resort down there. The gun they gave to the shooters: Beretta 391 and 390.

Another group from last year also got Berettas. I'm not sure what the rest of the resorts issued out, but these two are Beretta supporters and believers.

I would have thought the Benellis rule down there, but I guess not--at least at that resort.

jed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.