Shotgun Forum banner

Slugs through a Skeet Choke?

14K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  RMc 
#1 ·
Is there any problem shooting slugs through a Skeet Choke?

#2 ·
No, you shouldn't have any problem at all. About the only recomendation that I've ever heard is not to shoot them out of a full choke, but I think the jury is still out on that one.

Regarding the skeet choke, the best way to shoot a slug is out of a cylinder barrel. Barring that, your skeet choke should work just fine.

Frank

#3 ·
Commercially available slugs are safe to shoot through any standard choke up to and including full. Accuracy will degrade with more constriction because the slug gets swaged down and deformed.

It also depends on what you mean by a "skeet" choke. Remington calls -.005" a skeet choke. Most others call +.005" a skeet choke.

Most shooters (me included) report best accuracy for slugs with Improved Cylinder +.010".

Safety, however shouldn't be an issue.

#4 ·
You should shoot Foster type slugs, also known as "rifled slugs" througa your skeet choke. Sabot slugs are designed for rifled shotgun barrels. Also, if your gun os back bored/over bored, accuracy will suffer.

My M12 Skeet guns shoot slugs like a rifle out to 100 yards as does my M1100.

#5 ·
Foster type "rifled slugs" can be visualized (if you don't want to cut open a shell and look), as a lead thimble. Made of soft lead, these slugs are only solid in the reduced diameter nose. This makes for a slug load that is safe to use in any shotgun safe for use with lead shot. The downside is very minimal penetration. Foster slugs have been known to flatten out to a lead pancake on the gristle shield of a boar hog without penetrating to the vitals.

Also you may want to keep a drill and a new bore brush wrapped with 0000 steel wool handy. Foster slugs are not lubed and lead the bore quickly. Chuck your cleaning rod into a portable drill and let the bore brush/steel wool combo get the lead out. Do this outdoors as lead dust is a heavy metal poison should you inhale it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.