Shotgun Forum banner

slug shooting through trees

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  tommygirlMT 
#1 ·
What can I expect shooting 1oz sabots from my tree stand through tree branches? Will the slug be deflected or can I shoot deer accurately at sub 75 yard ranges? I am not talking heavy timber here, just normal tree branches that we encounter in tree stands.

#3 ·
Depends on a few factors, but I did turn down a few opportunities this season to shoot through light brush at some does.

The first factor is the type and size of the brush. Grass is a different beast than woody shrubs.

The density and depth of the brush is also important.

Lastly, the distance between the brush (source of deflection) and the target is important. Deflection changes the trajectory of your projectile by a certain degree (angle) depending on the severity of the deflection. The deflection less important if the target is closer to the deflection point. Conversely, the deflection is more important if the target is farther from the deflection point.

If you are very curious about shooting through brush, I would set up a target on the other side of the brush. Take some shots and see how bad the deflection is. Try different types of brush, different amounts of brush, and different distances from the brush to the target.

Actually, if anyone does this they should post their results here. It would be good info for everyone to see! Pictures, pictures, pictures!

#4 ·
I do have shooting lanes cut into the trees around my tree stand its just that the deer don't always stand in the lanes.
Last year I shot one @ 65 yards right through some light branches and I'm wondering if this is a good idea?
I know that it doesn't work with high powered rifles but thought that due to the increased mass and slower velocity of slugs that the slug would just punch through to the intended target.
More thoughts and opinions on this please.

#5 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.