Shotgun Forum banner

Bad to dry fire??

19K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  Tn Jim 
#1 ·
I'm still new to all of this, I was wondering if it's bad to dry fire my shotgun. I own the Mossberg 535. Thanks for all your help!
joe c

#3 ·
Get something called a "snap cap" for your gun. It is basically a plastic or machined aluminimum shell that goes into the chamber, and softens the movement of the firing pin. "A-Zoom" brand is my favorite, but there are many others. I would not recomend dry firing on purpose. It's a good idea when you store your gun make sure the snap cap is in the chamber and release the hammer with the trigger. Avoid storing the gun "cocked" to reduce damage to the hammer spring. (from being compressed for a long time)

#9 ·
Military Mossbergs get dry fired everytime they go inside of a building.

Outside most buildings there is a 55 gallon drum filled with sand, prior to going into the building, you visually clear the chamber, close the action (empty magazine, of course) point the gun towards the sand, take the safety off and pull the trigger.

That happens a few times a day..........

#14 ·
I dry fire my 500 and 870 all the time, and have for years. I've had my 500 since 1991,it was built in the late 70's and if I could have hurt it by dry firing it I would have by now. My 930 only gets dry fired when I put it in the safe. I used snap caps in my Savage 311 SXS, but they were very cheaply made, and they broke pretty quick. I've got new caps coming for it because I don't want to dry fire it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.