Shotgun Forum banner

Shotgun Chest Rig

22K views 39 replies 26 participants last post by  BCS 
#1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the molle shotshell pouches, i've been wanting to make a vest specifically for shotgun use, i was thinking about making a chest rig with a couple of these or maybe using saw pouches to lug shells in... ANY SUGGESTIONS?

#3 ·
See above.

John Willis makes some really good kit.

#4 ·
Thanks for the help guys, that's kinda what i'm going for something like that, my shotgun is my primary for now, i'm a paramedic student so money's a lil too tight to drop the dough on a carbine. I just want something i can use at the range and something that will come in handy if the time ever comes to where i actually need it

#6 ·
ab4ka said:
A Chinese SKS chest rig would probably work great, and I've seen them at gunshows for $10
If you were moving and left a pouch poorly fastened you would leave a trail of shells. You really need something with positive retention.

#10 ·
I've been at this game for a while (hell, on our last trip to Kandahar, my boots were older than my gunner) and I've seen gear from the old ALICE gear on through the latest and greatest MOLLE gear. Personally I prefer the older simpler ALICE gear over the newer stuff. I guess I just don't care so much for all the noisy velcro they are using over everything these days. It's loud and when it gets dirty, it doesn't stay closed are my two biggest gripes about it. Now back in the day, the old USGI ALICE shell pouch was what we used and I still use it for my own gear today. However, if a shotgun was my "go-to" gun I would probably look at the gear made by FMCO. Here's the link to their vests and about half way down they have both 48 and 72 round vests:
http://www.antipersonnel.net/fmco/001.html
Their other version isn't as adjustable but they do have a version that is a vest that holds up to 96 rounds so if that's not enough, you really should have considered bringing along something a little heavier...like a radio to call in an air strike! Anyways, here's the link to their other vests:
http://www.antipersonnel.net/fmco/003.html

#11 ·
USMCGrunt,

Are their inserts inside that hold each shell secure or can they all fall out if running once the lid in unsecured?

One thing the new gear has done (especially armor) is burden the grunt with too much weight.

When I was a gunner a full load out in Alice gear WITH an M60 was under 90lbs even for 2 weeks of climbing up and down the hills of N. Korea.

From what I've read of the past few wars the basic pack has that much weight. What do your troops carry on average weight wise for a 20 mile hump? Or is there no more humping that kind of distance in the desert?

#12 ·
I've been thinking of a chest rig for some time and I like the idea of something that I can just throw over my shoulder and go.

One of the options is to use a Blackhawk STRIKE Bandoleer (now discontinued I believe) with 1-2 STRIKE 18 (19?) shell pack, a Serpa CQC holdster and a two mag pistol pouch:

#13 ·
Though I have not done it yet, I still like the idea of the velcro on the receiver, and the "disposable" velcro side-saddles that fit in AR magazine pouches. Once the saddle on the gun is empty, rip it off and throw on another fully loaded unit. Either drop the empty, or get a dump pouch/roly poly.

I don't recall the manufacturer, but I think there were a couple.

#14 ·
OP:
You would be hard to go wrong with the OSOE gear. I have some of his stuff from back in the 90s and it is still working.
The Popper from HSGI is another good small sized chest rig that has pull downs for shotgun rounds and some pockets for IFAK/BOK stuff. Use the rifle mag pouches as a holster and there are pistol mag pouches. There is a MOLLE front version that you can tailor to your own needs.

oregonshooter said:
One thing the new gear has done (especially armor) is burden the grunt with too much weight.
That is due in large part to two things: Optempo and the expectations of America.
The optemp is up because we do a lot of fighting at night. That requires NODs and the batteries to power them, as well as a lot of commo gear and their batteries. Add in all the EO units, and the lasers for fighting/designating/pointing and their batteries. Depending on the service you have some precision/semi-precision optics that allow for more observation and descrimination. That is a significant amount of weight that wasn't present twenty years ago. But the troops are expected to be very selective in targeting and also to fight pretty much around the clock.
As far as expectations, if we fought a single battle like Omaha Beach today mass numbers of Americans would pass out. Never mind the battles like Gettysburg and Antietam. There is a large segment of the American population that would howl with demands to pull completely out of any fight that even approached a casualty rate of Vietnam. The move towards body armor is geared in large part by the CoC's desire to protect the troops, but also because Americans will not accept casualties. Part of this is the zero defect mindset. This is also why you have troops at FOBs that are not allowed to walk around post (that receives mortar and rocket attacks) without the reflective belt on. Anywhere.
In WWII the M4 was intended to fight infantry and rear elements, not other tanks. When it came up against tanks it lost bad against contemporary German units. There was a whole philosophy that drove that, and in its own way it made sense. When we had HMMWVs operating as LAVs or where something with a little more steel should have been we had a similar situation. The result was the uparmored kits and gun trucks. The initial outcry about troops going into the field with the older protective gear resulted in not only the newer IBAs and similar, but the crotch/neck/shoulder protection as well and the unit SOPs that require some/all of it to be worn. So we now have back and leg problems from guys wearing all that armor and stomping around on crappy terrain in crappy conditions. But they're not getting shot/injured as they would have if they didn't have all the armor.

#19 ·
I have been using a messager bag. I commuted for 12 years on my motorcycle and used one, so I am very comfortable with them. I also use one as a camera bag. I got a Vans checker board one for $12. I got a checker board one so I won't mix it up with my all black one, which I use for my rifle. It is low profile and doesn't get a second look. I can carry shells inside and it holds about 25rds in each pocket (it has 2). I load one pocket with slugs and one with buckshot. I can also keep several 25rd boxes in it pretty easily. I also carry a full sized handgun and extra mags in the bag as well. As a civilian, I like the idea of a 'sneaky' bag that I can use in a 'lower-threat' situation. I have been in 2 hurricanes and experienced a week long gas shortage here in Phoenix. So for me, that is probably where the biggest threat is. It fits my needs the best as a chest rig may get unwanted attention either from LEO or bad guys.

#20 ·
yellowcarbon said:
It is low profile and doesn't get a second look. I can carry shells inside and it holds about 25rds in each pocket (it has 2).
Don't you think the shotgun would get a second look?

I've never understood the idea of a bag designed to support a long gun needing to fly under the radar when the long gun is going to stick out like a sore thumb.

#21 ·
It will get a second look when I take it out. But I either keep it in my truck or in a low profile case as much as possible. In fact, when it is in my truck, I keep it in a low profile case. So it isn't obvious at a mere glance. The 'sneaky' bag works extremely well either with the long arm in the open or if keeping it discrete. The 'sneaky' bag gives you the option of being extremely low profile. Although you can make a chest rig lower profile by wearing a over shirt/jacket, it isn't as low profile if somebody is looking you over. Not to mention an overshirt isn't what you want in a hot climate (which is not a consideration for everybody). A messanger bag on a motorcycle looks right at home, as is a saddle bag with a folding stock AK/Shotgun.

I am not saying a chest ring or overt set up is bad. I am just giving the original poster some ideas to think about. I have a chest rig for my rifle that I use at the range and will use if it is an all out hostile situation. But I have found the 'sneaky' bag style set up much more usable in the day to day use. Even in non-emergancy situations, the less people that know I have a firearm the better. That makes for less risk of my truck or house getting broken into.

Also consider the 'legal' issue of overt carry. A chest rig with a drop down thigh holster is good for combat zones or if you are trying to make a show of force. You can do the same by wearing the shotgun/long arm in a sling over your chest with the 'sneaky' bag. But in a situation like Hurricane Katrina where they are actively taking away firearms, the more discrete the better. I am lucky in that were I live (Phoenix, AZ), open carry is 100% legal, so it isn't as big an issue. But in Hawai'i, where I went through both hurricanes, open or 'discrete' carry isn't legal out in the public. You can only go unloaded to or from the range, place of business, residence or hunting. Also keep in mind, most emergancy situations are 'low intensity'. After the hurricane in Hawai'i, I didn't feel the need to be armed all the time, although I kept a gun near by. In fact, the majority of the time I was helping clean up, gather water, rebuilding, etc. You definitely won't want a chest rig when doing those things. The majority of the time, long arms are kept in the truck when you keep a handgun IWB.

#22 ·
Your logic is sound. I just don't see me lugging around a bag with all that ammo unless I have the long gun in hand, if the gun is in the truck and you have to go get it keep the bag/rig right next to it. Bear in mind I use a shoulder bag for my carbine but just because it is faster to grab and go than a chest rig with a lot of straps that will inevitably twist up while you are trying to put it on in a hurry.

#23 ·
FMD said:
See above.

John Willis makes some really good kit.
But he needs to stay out of my head. :D

I bought one of his original micro rigs a while back and thought it would work very well as a shotgun rig using shell cards in the magazine pouches. I'd love one of his shotgun micro rigs but I'm not quite willing to shell out that kind of coin right now. I'd grab one in a heart beat if I could find a good price on one in the secondary market.

#26 ·
My friend who was in the 10th Mountain division showed me the way.

Forget chest rigs, they suck. Esp for low crawling, etc.

What you want is an LBE set up (can be conventional, or molle) with THESE dump pouches on them.

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/modular-ammo-pouch.htm

The best thing about the pouches is that they contain a removable elastic mouth so you can use the same LBE set up for any other gun, as the pouches will hold five M14, AK, or AR15 mags perfectly.

Oh, condor also makes a very good molle version of the LBE H harness and belt, if you decide to take my advice and go with that set up.

Best shotgun set up you can have.

LBEs are the best!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.