Shotgun Forum banner

Quill Lake Goose

7K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  MarketHunter 
#1 ·
Anyone ever heard of a Quill Lake Goose???

I killed a goose this year with white feet, white wingtips and the stomach was almost all white.
The cheek patches went almost all the way to the top of it's head.

We saw several others flying with the same color patterns but only shot one.

Local 'know-it-all' said that it was a 'Quill Lake Goose'.

Anyone know anything about this?????

QS

#2 ·
I've heard people call canadian geese with a lot of white on them Quill Lake Geese but it's just a name somebody threw on them years ago. They're either going to be a partial albino or a tame goose / wild goose cross. If yours had white feet I'd say tame goose mixture of some kind. Still a very cool bird to take, if I'd ever shoot one I'd have it mounted for sure.

Destry

#3 ·
Quill Lake Canadians are not fiction. I shot one 5 years ago when there were quite a few wintering in the Pierre SD area. Friends of mine who hunt geese in that area are very familiar with them and have collected more than a few themselves. Typically having blotchy white patches of feathers and a calico coloration found on the feet and occ the bill shading from gray to orange.2 of those friends are waterfowl biologists for the GFP and they could give more answers about these Canadas that come from the Quill Lake region. If your ever in Pierre ,SD be sure to stop in the sptg sec of Dakotamart and Teton River Gunshop as they both have mounted specimens of Quill Lake canadas. My own hangs above my computer desk..bob16ga

#4 ·
If they've got a lot of white on them and a partially orange bill I'd say they're definitely a wild goose / tame goose crossbreed. Maybe they've got a lot of feral white geese in the Quill Lakes region that are crossbreeding with the wild birds. I don't know why everybody wants to call these things a subspecies or something, they're simply either a cross or partial albino and that's all they are.

Destry

#5 ·
A quill lake goose is a CANADA goose (not canadian) from the quill lake area of Canada.They have a white area on the breast of the bird resembling a bikini top or a bra.
Do a google search on the subject.
Some of you should not answer questions you know nothing about.

#6 ·
Meats said:
A quill lake goose is a CANADA goose (not canadian)
LOL - I've given up trying to tell some people that ... :roll:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.