CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Orvis Graphite
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:01 am 
Presentation Grade

I have a 9'6" Orvis Graphite fly rod, and thats all it says on the shaft (Orvis Graphite) It has a spiral finish, silver gray in colour, removable fighting butt, plug to replace if not used, furel is like none i,ve ever seen before, reel seat is black with red dot to let you know where the slot for the reel is, nothing on tube, nothing on butt plug, QUESTION how do I find out what line weight this rod is, surely someone has a rod like this. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Orvis Graphite
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

d

Last edited by chucka on Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:32 pm 
Crown Grade

You may be able to contact Orvis also. They may be able to ID it for you with this info.

HWD

My Marine kicked cancer's a$$!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

I was told by Orvis, if I sent them the measurements of all the eyes, they could tell me. but i,m not going at that, I,ve used a 5# to a 9# and they all work well, So I guess I have the perfect rod.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:08 pm 
Diamond Grade

Without seeing or casting the rod, my guess is it's a 9 weight Salmon Rod. The Spiral came from the tape they wrapped the blanks with and back then they didn't bother sanding it out (frankly, there is no need to). The 9'6" length is for mending line and keeping it off the water when Salmon fishing or Steelheading. The "spiral" rods were softer than todays high speed rods and are still prefered for roll casting, big flies (throwing a bigger slower loop), or for a softer and more relaxed presenttaion. This comes from the fact that the rod loads easier. If you want to speed the rod up, lower the line weight you are casting. If it's the rod I think it is an 8 weight line would be perfect....though the original 9 wt. would work fine as would a 7.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

how many stripping guides are there. If there are two or more, it most likely is a 7 wt or bigger. If it only has one, it probably is 6 or less. By the way, what a rod says is just a guide. To test what line works best for that rod, you need to cast 30 ft. with each line. What ever line loads the best at that distance is what the rod is ment to cast. If you know you will be making a lot of long casts, drop down in line size and if you are making a lot of short casts or role casting a lot at short distances, go up in line size. this will help the rode load properly.