Shotgun Forum banner

Winchokes?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Runngun 
#1 ·
I just purchased a NOS/NIB Winchester 1300, and as you all know, it only comes with a modified choke. I am looking at adding IC and Full chokes soon, and would like some advice. If I were to choose between Type 1 or Type 2 Winchokes, which of the two is best for steel shot? Could y'all give me some advice about using steel shot period in my shotgun?

Also, what do you think about Profactor chokes? The price is pretty good, and as they are made by Mossberg, they seem like they would be okay. Would they be a better choice than either the Type 1 or 2 Winchokes? Thanks!

#2 ·
I think the difference between type 1 and type 2 is that the later one
is flush fitting. For steel, probably most would recommend extended
chokes for steel. Remember though that you should not use full
choke with steel. Your present modified should work fine with steel.
I would just buy the basic flush mounted choke for Winchoke replacement
from Carlson's. I think I would buy a skeet for your gun instead of
Imp Cyl, for your close up work, and maybe a full for long range stuff
with lead shot. Use the present mod for steel and if you have some
close up situation with steel then use the skeet choke. The skeet
actually makes a pretty good all around bird choke for the field.

#4 ·
Thanks for the advise on the chokes guys! I've been handling pistols and rifles for 25 years, but shotguns are pretty new to me. I went out on Sunday, and with the modified choke, my pattern was excellent at 30 yards or so. I think it can only be better at the different ranges with a Full and Skeet choke! I am going to order in the next day or so!

#5 ·
I use Improved Cylinder for at least 90% of my shooting, this includes some 50 yard birds on the sporting clays course. modified is what I usually use while hunting, or for trapshooting back to about 24 yard handicap. The only time I would use full is for turkey shooting or 27 yard trapshooting. Your mileage may vary, but if I were stuck with one choke, I/C is my choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.