It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: How to clean the Rem 1100 - Complete Description With Photos
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:28 pm 
Limited Edition

what the heck hods that bolt in if it just pulls right out :?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:33 am 
Utility Grade

Well done Sir. What a realy good instructional post. Lets hope every Remington owner visits and reads this post.
Thanks for your efforts.

Paladin

AYA o/u 12g
Hammer sbs 12g
Rapid 7 .22
Venom HW80 .22
SFS HW97 KT .177

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:01 am 
Field Grade

I have a used 11-87 Special Purpose under the Christmas tree. What are the differences in disassembly/cleaning/reassembly between the 1100 and the 11-87?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:41 pm 
Field Grade

Was watching a youtube video on how to clean an 1100 shotgun and when the guy was done he said to wipe down the exterior of the shotgun with a wet towel to remove fingerprints and dirt and then dry the firearm with a dry towel. He later clarified his statement and said to use water. This guy needs to stick to washing dishes. Now I know where all those rusty firearms come from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ludfn5OWHBA&NR=1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have had to clean my 1100's regularly because of shooting trap this year.I was doing alot of things right already according to this thread and I also learned some tips to incorporate into my routine.Thank You for the pics and great work for others to learn from.I just picked up a used 1187 trap in good condition and will give it the works also. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:18 am 
Limited Edition

Wow, had no idea how dirty this old hand-me-down 1100 was. Never had broken it down that far, or removed magazine spring. Much needed scrubbing, thanx for the information. Gun looks GREAT!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am 
Tournament Grade

I have a 11-87 20ga, and am having a heck of a time getting the part that sits in the spring in the stock back in the gun. How do you get this back in? I have used needle nose pliers to squeez the ends together to fit in the spring but it wants to cock to one side or the other in the receiver.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

the care and patience extended as well as wonderful presentation affirms my earlier notion that this would be a good forum to join....

thanks so much for a fantastic workshop that reeks of knowledge and fellowship.

-Brady-

Post subject: Re: How to clean the Rem 1100 - Complete Description With Ph
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:48 am 
Utility Grade

Excellent guide, but a quick question; You said that the carrier latch should stay to the rear if pushed there, and that it's held there by a "finger". Do you have an image of that? I recently bought an old 1100 that doesn't seem to cycle manually, and I don't see any way possible that the carrier latch can remain locked to the rear (against the forward pressure of its own spring, no less). I'm not seeing any way to lock it back.

The carrier itself will stay up if pushed up, but the carrier latch will not do so when pushed back.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:40 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks! I just picked up an 1100 Trap gun! This was awesome. I'm a technical writer and this was very well done and extremely useful!

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For all the complaints non-1100 shooters seem to have about the complexity of the 1100, here it is dissected down as far I can ever see necessary. 33 pieces, not including the wood and bbl. It took 5 minutes to reassemble, the first time I ever went past a filed strip, and that was a week after (meaning I would have forgotten the order) I had disassembled it all the way and cleaned it with CLP (I was waiting to connect with the local Eezox salesman...a great product it seems, and smells good, btw.)

The only tricky parts are the magazine and action springs...be sure your eye is not in line with them when you compress them :mrgreen: . For the Magazine Spring I used the palm and thumb of my left (off) hand and used the better dexterity in the right to compress and install the M/S retainer. For the Action Spring, I found a standard screwdriver tended to slip off the face of the A/S retainer, but the two tips of a pair of needle nose pliers kept on each fork of the retainer and against the inside walls of the A/S tube held it nicely to permit inserting the A/S plug pin.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:02 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for this valuable lesson Bill. I have just bought a remington 1100 (am yet to have it delivered) and it kind of looks a lot more complicated than my other shotgun. My other gun is inertia recoil system. I am sure that I will be looking at this page again. Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:57 pm 
Utility Grade

Just registered on the board to say thanks for the great write-up. Between this and a few videos on youtube, I've been able to get a 1976 1100 up and running like a champ.

Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

brianr wrote:
Just registered on the board to say thanks for the great write-up. Between this and a few videos on youtube, I've been able to get a 1976 1100 up and running like a champ.

Much appreciated.

Welcome brianr!
You are gonna love your 1100!!!
After completely breaking it down once or twice you will realize that it is a piece of cake!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:40 pm 
Utility Grade

Could you provide a little more info on how to make the drill/steel wool/rod device to clean the barrel?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:04 am 
Presentation Grade

Variable speed drill (use slow-med speed), cleaning rod and bore brush. If you like you can wrap some 0000 steel wool around the brush and clean away.

slomo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:50 pm 
Utility Grade

i have a used 1100 i bought in 1988 or therebouts... looked up the build date ,it was made in 1968 i think. i have shot many dove with it in west texas and new mexico.altho i own and takealong several shotguns such as a5 brownings, rottweil o/u 650, savage 754, and my ol mans ithica m37 at the end of the day i find myself shooting my beater 1100. it just seems to work for me.....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:16 am 
Utility Grade

I recently bought my first gun, a used 1983 Rem 1100, 28" fixed Mod. Just broke it down and cleaned it. I would not have attempted this without this post. I am not fluent with the name of the parts so I downloaded the 1100 manual from Remington’s Web Site to use as a reference. Hopefully it will fire when I pull the trigger.

Thank you Mr Wood!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

billfish16 wrote:
I recently bought my first gun, a used 1983 Rem 1100, 28" fixed Mod. Just broke it down and cleaned it. I would not have attempted this without this post. I am not fluent with the name of the parts so I downloaded the 1100 manual from Remington’s Web Site to use as a reference. Hopefully it will fire when I pull the trigger.

Thank you Mr Wood!!!!

Congrats!
For a first gun you picked an absolute winner!
If anything does go wrong with it, parts are available everywhere and most can be replaced by the owner with a few tools.

Good Luck with your new gun!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:26 am 
Limited Edition

Thanks for the article-it's a big help for someone like me who is new to the game and needs all the assistance I can muster. I've been having some trouble cycling 1 0z. target loads, and the folks on the reloading forum seem to think it's primarily a matter of getting the gun really clean. They suggested I read this post and then ask any further questions from the Rem. 1100 people. I do have two further questions:

1. I bought my 1100 used (1983 vintage) and there's a log of caked-on residue inside the gas chamber. I've been using solvent on a pipe cleaner inside the gas ports, followed by a guitar string (a tip I picked up somewhere on this website), and it's worked so far. I'll try the drill bit going forward. However, what's the best way to get rid of all the old built-up powder residue in the gas chamber, and how clean should it be when I finish?

2. How do I remove and clean the action spring, and what are the "gotchas?"

Thanks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next