Shotgun Forum banner

Lubricating break-open shotguns with 30W motor oil

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  A/C Guy in Az 
#1 ·
In his book Perazzi Shotguns, Karl C. Lippard recommends using 30W motor oil to lubricate shotguns. A friend of mine tried it, and said it worked well and didn't run. Does anyone on this forum use it?

Tom

#2 ·
Karl's a very knowledgeable guy but there are far better oils for guns. Giacomo Arrighini (Giacomo Sporting Arms) a Perazzi factory trained gunsmith and THE Perazzi guy to go to along with Lucio Sosta of Perazzi USA give the nod to TriFlo. I have used the stuff for years before I knew he liked it too. But it worked fine anyway hahaha.

But then, it's your gun so you can use whatever you like. And motor oil will not actually hurt anything and is way better than some things that I've seen recommended.

WtS

#3 ·
I think almost any decent lube will work alright if it is cleaned and re-applied frequently.
However, I would not choose motor oil when there are so many better options available that stay put, have better film strength, are easy to apply, don't stain your shooting clothing or migrate in your wood.
I know this will disappoint you Mobil 1 guys. :wink:

#4 ·
I generally use Pro Gold grease on the bearing surfaces and Breakfree on the moving parts. My question about 30W motor oil was mostly from curiosity.

I've used TriFlow on bicycle chains for years, but I've never thought of trying it on shotguns.

Tom

#5 ·
https://www.proshotproducts.com/product ... ucts_id=56

I have a jar of the stuff, and I've used it for a long time. I still have half the jar left. I don't use anything else on a break-action receiver; it's just too easy to use this stuff, and it works too well for me to bother trying anything else.

It's sticky and stays put, applies with a finger but wipes off with a rag. Wonderful stuff!

Also, motor oil ruins clothes. I wear clothes when I shoot. Usually. :lol:

#6 ·
Motor oil is wonderful, synthetic is better and it's a fine, multi-purpose lube if you are so inclined.

My beef w/oil is that it tends to migrate in accordance to gravity.

That, and it doesn't mingle well w/nickel.

Interestingly though a drop of M1 landing on a plastic funnel will not splatter & smear as dino lube.

It will hit as a small ball and roll down the funnel.

At least it does w/about a foot of drop.

I use bearing oil to break-in actions. When it turns black I wipe it off and put on a fresh dose.

Viscosity really isn't much of a factor for scatterguns, regardless of the temperature, if you use synthetic.

Due to its properties the same synthetic oil can overlap grades/blends that were designated originally for dino oil.

You're welcome to your opinion and YMMV...

#7 ·
Vespasian said:
I generally use Pro Gold grease on the bearing surfaces and Breakfree on the moving parts. My question about 30W motor oil was mostly from curiosity.

I've used TriFlow on bicycle chains for years, but I've never thought of trying it on shotguns.

Tom
I understand.
There is a group that likes to use motor oil and they are satisfied with it. Mobil 1 would be the best of this sub par category.

Quality grease and BreakFree are widely used and are an excellent choice for any O/U.
I know quite a few guys that use TriFlow and swear by it.

#8 ·
I switched from oil to TW25 grease for my U/O and have had not had any problems. I had found that oil would not last too long. At the range and would turn into a grey looking paste and the action would be stiff by the end of the day. The TW25 is still white and the action is smooth as silk after over 200tgts in the past week.
At the end of the day each to their own whether you use oil or grease, if it works why change.

#9 ·
Hard to go wrong with stuff from Pro-Shot, IME. Everything I've gotten from them has been excellent. I use Pro Gold for a grease and their Zero Friction for an oil. My general CLP is Ballistol. I've got other stuff for nastier jobs, but these three are my mainstays these days.

#10 ·
Vespasian said:

Tom
Me too. Bike chains take a level of abuse that shotgun only get in nightmares. That was why I started using it on the guns 20 years ago. If bike chains don't blow up guns should love it.

It certainly has been trouble and wear free on my Perazzis.

works for me

WtS

#12 ·
Ya know, you can split fire wood with a jack knife too, but why? 30W works I guess, according to other posters, but there are such good products out there I just can't see the wisdom of it. If applied to heavily, like anything else it will migrate. If it gets in your wood it will do bad things much faster than linseed oil. Ever pick up an old gun with punky wood? I have used CLP applied in drops through a hypodermic needle for years. Of late I have been trying EEZOX which dries. I have an issue with it though. I'm not sold just yet.

#14 ·
I played trombone in high school and college. We trombone players discovered that the best slide lubrication was cold cream and water from a spray bottle. That was many years ago, but back then, the practice was universal (except for those naive players who still used slide oil). For shotguns, the oil would be better. :wink:

Tom

#15 ·
Strange thing - an awful lot of gun oils and a lot of other "special" oils (3 in 1, Singer sewing machine etc.) are nothing more than 30 wt. motor oil repackaged in a small pretty can. That author was apparently pretty knowledgeable about it, too, and gave good advice.

BobK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.