Shotgun Forum banner

Harrington & Richardson single barrel 12 gauge shotgun

9K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  DeanMk 
#1 ·
Hey, I've got an old single barrel shotgun made by Harington and Richardson. From what I can tell it's a model 1900, but due to lack of care for the firearm it has seized up in the slide lock that locks the barrel shut (the part that you normally push to the side to open the barrel doesn't move because the part that slide backwards and forwards is corroded to other parts of the action,, If you can make any sense of that.) I was wondering is there any way I can strip the action down to get to these parts to clean them? The rest of the gun is fine it's just looks like water has been spilt down in this area and sat there for a while. I know about old shotguns and new ammo, do not worry I'm not going to blow myself up I just want to clean it up so it looks good and works (works I mean the barrel cocks open).
Any help would be much appreciated
Thank you

#2 ·
With H&R singles, there's no "side panel" to remove, like some doubles have.
What you have to do is to remove the buttstock and the pins you see in the receiver.
This will allow the trigger/hammer assembly to come out and then you can get to the lock.

...HOWEVER...

What might be easier is to get some 3-n-1 oil, or some kind of aerosol lubricant and shoot it into the lock and see if that doesn't help.
A little WD-40 or LPS#1 to get things working again, then coat the parts with 3-n1 or (better yet) Herter's Gun Oil.
Pull off the forearm and remove the barrel, then shoot the oil in, around the bolt that holds the action closed.
IF you can't even get the lever to move far enough to unlock the action, try removing the screw that holds the lever and you should have some space to shoot the lubrcant in that way.
Put the lever back on and work it back and forth.
You may have to reapply the lubricant a time or two, while trying to free up the lock.

If you feel its going to come down to removing those pins in the receiver, I would DEFINATELY give that job to a professional gunsmith.
They always make it sound like its a "nothing job", but when I got my little H&R 20 *****, the trigger/hammer assembly came in a sandwich bag.
I tried to reassemble it and just couldn't get it done (and I was a mechanic at that time. I was quite used to doing intricate work like that).
I finally called H&R ("H&R 1871", by then) and they told me they could not acknowledge the existance of my gun, but that they recommended my sending it to Walker Arms Inc. 499 County Road 820 Selma, Al 36701-2127 (Phone: 334-872-6231)
Those folks are (or were, at the time, anyway) H&R's "recommended" repair facility for pre=bankrupcy guns.

...btw, if your serial number has no letter prefix and the number is in the 12,000 range, its a Model of 1915. I've got one of those, too.

Dean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.