Shotgun Forum banner

I need help with 20 and 28 gauge and Solo 1250 powder

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  allen in texas 
#1 ·
I changed from Winchester Super Field for a lot of reasons but now, with 1250, I can't find a recipe.

I have a couple of thousand 20 gauge AA and STS hulls.
Same with the 28 gauge except no STS hulls
Thousands of Winchester 209 primers.
Thousands of Claybuster AA replacement wads for both gauges.

I used the super field with no problems with 7/8 oz in the 20 and 3/4 in the 28

So far, I can't find a load with the 1250 using my (exact) components not even on Accurate's web site.

Can anyone help me out?

Allen

PS, I'm not a newbie loader, just new to this site and to 1250.
another PS, I switched from Winchester Super Target to Solo 1000 without these problems in my 12 gauge.

I guess I just didn't do my homework on the 1250 like I should have before I bought it.

See less See more
#4 ·
Supposedly that's a fact, Solo 1250 being discontinued.

FYI, for 20 and 28 ga. applications, you will be hard pressed to beat Alliant's 20/28. The powder is designed especially for those loads, and is one of the better choices available to you.

PM me for available data on Solo 1250. I have older Load Books.

DLM

#5 ·
Hmm, 1250 being discontinued.
Ain't that just my luck. Well, I can always go back to Winchester or try 20/28.
Anybody want 8 pounds of 1250. (less about 30 grains) :)

DLM I sent you a PM. (maybe, still trying to figure out the site)

I looked at the load data online for 20/28 and it's all there.

Maybe I'll just order some. I guess I've had time to recover from the sticker shock on the 8 pounds of 1250 and I can use it in heavy loads in my 12.

#8 ·
allen in texas said:
Anybody want 8 pounds of 1250. (less about 30 grains) :) I guess I've had time to recover from the sticker shock on the 8 pounds of 1250
Uh, if you're being serious . . . yeah.

Oh, I just saw your comment about sticker shot. Maybe, maybe not. I'll shoot you a PM.

I have quite abit of 1250 on hand and use it happily in my 28 ga straight-walled hulls (RIO, Fiocchi, etc., etc.)

#9 ·
The new Lyman's only has one load with solo 1250 for 28 ga and it's for federal shells with a paper basewad. They do list a few for the 20 ga rem shells but that's about it. They list 16 grains with a win 209 a WAA20 wad in a rem sts for 1195 FPS and 10,400 PSI. The only other data they list is using rem and federal primers.

MB

#10 ·
I do have an old Scott booklet with 1250 data in it. Whether it lists your exact components or not, I don't recall. If you are indeed serious about parting with the 1250 for somewhere in the neighborhood of what i paid for the last 2 8#ers I bought, $68 @ I'll be happy to lighten your load of about 8# less 30gr. If you didn't get the info you needed from DLM, let me know, maybe, I have something he doesn't, and maybe not!

BP

#11 ·
Burnt Powder said:
I do have an old Scott booklet with 1250 data in it. Whether it lists your exact components or not, I don't recall. If you are indeed serious about parting with the 1250 for somewhere in the neighborhood of what i paid for the last 2 8#ers I bought, $68 @ I'll be happy to lighten your load of about 8# less 30gr. If you didn't get the info you needed from DLM, let me know, maybe, I have something he doesn't, and maybe not!

BP
Iffen he sells it to you, how does he ship it legally?

#12 ·
I guess I'll keep the 1250. There are a few nice 1 1/18 oz loads in 12 gauge for it using the components I have with velocities over 1200 fps. I guess that would be a pretty good dove load.
I looked at my gun shop yesterday for 20/28 but he only keeps it in one pounders. I'll just order some or I'll just go back to Winchester.

DLM I got your pm but I can't open it. I take it that it is a file of some sort.
Reckon you could try it again or just sent it to my email?

Long story short about all this...
I have tried to simplify my loading and only keep one powder, one type hull, one primer and two shot sizes, 7.5's and 8's.
AS it turns out, I have been using two powders, WST in 12 gauge, WSF in 20 and 28.
AA hulls for the 12 and AA and STS for the 20 and 28.
I used to load all different loads but it just got to be too much to keep track of so I tried to streamline.
Like I said earlier, I guess I didn't do my homework before I bought the 1250.

edit for stupidity...
DLM I was able to open your PM
Thanks. it put me on the right track.

#13 ·
Ok, here's an update.
Used the load data you guys provided...
the 20 AA hulls load prettier
The STS 20's are crushing about every 4th hull.
The 28 loads are beautiful.
Of course, this is using the Claybuster WAA replacement wads.

My previous loading of the 20s with the WSF powder which is less bulking for the required grainage of powder (grainage, I made that up) the STS hull loaded pretty and the AA hulls turned the crimp inward slightly.
The 28 AA hulls did the same.

The 1250 powder requires more volume of powder for the required grainage and filled the AA hull more properly but it over filled the STS hulls. I guess I'll just buy some RXP wads which are slightly shorter for the STS 20 gauge hulls and keep on trucking.

Just thought you guys might want to know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.