Shotgun Forum banner

CZ -USA Redhead Deluxe 20 Gauge in 26" or 28" Help

6K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  SGRSS20 
#1 ·
After much research and reviews, I've decided to buy a CZ -USA Redhead Deluxe. I do not have the means to purchase a Browning, Ruger, or Beretta at this time, so i'm hopful my money is well spent and I will have a shotgun to pass onto my boys once i'm long gone.

I'll be using the shotgun for grouse hunting in Northern Maine. That will likely be the extent of its use. If I use a box of shells a year, I'm lucky; Most of this hunting is done by vehicle; we do not spend much time walking through the woods.

I'm seeking the following advice; What lenght is the most effective for me 26" or 28"?
1. Considering my hunting style, weight is not really a big concern since I'm carring it for such a short period.
2. One concern is how the gun points in the different barrel lenghts?
3. For mainly hunting grouse, is there a major difference how far the gun will be effective in taking grouse down in a 26" vs. 28"?

Which barrel will serve me best. Unfortunatley we do not have a dealer who carries any in stock for me to shoulder. I can order through a local dealer, but no access to any on hand.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hunting Grouse is mostly a throw it up, point and shoot type game, especially when hunting thick cover. You mostly want to watch the bird and pull the trigger when the butt hits your shoulder. Longer barrels over shorter ones offer more precise "aim" and help with swing follow through. In grouse hunting there is little time for "aim" and swing is usually very short. If you track the bird with your eyes and shoot when the stock hits your shoulder you don't need long barrels. 2 inches isn't much anyway. Unless you are going to hunt something else and think an extra 2 inches will help you should't worry about it. I definitely would not spend more money, one way or the other, on two inches of barrel. Just get what you think is right and I'll bet you'll be right!

#3 ·
I would opt for the 26" barrel, I have a 28" Canvasback and a 26" Citori, the 26 is more nimble and swings faster than the 28" barrel. As far as the effective range, there is no difference other than the 28" barrel is 2 inches closer, the pattern is the same, JMHO.

cdb

#4 ·
Hey dougt!!!!

WELCOME!!!!!! to SGW and Huglu Forum!!!!!

We all hope you will become a regular visitor here!!!

You are very fortunate to have the kind of hunting opportunities I had here in CT when I was a kid. :D There were LOTS of grouse here then! No more. :(

Reading your description of what you will use this new gun for, there is no reason on earth for you to spend the money for a Ruger or a B-Gun. Doing so would be a waste of cash!

The Redhead Deluxe will do a GREAT job for you!!!! Of course, I would prefer to see you with a DT SxS.....but that is just me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for the barrel length......Get the 26" barrels! You are a grouse hunter!!!! The whole darned world wants 28, 30 or 32 inch barrels.....Grouse are why they still make 26" barrels!!!!

Best......2few

#5 ·
2 few, you forgot DOVES and QUAIL!!!!!!!!!!!, 26" barrel was made for them :!: :!: :!: :D :D

And I forgot to say welcome to dougt :oops: :oops: :oops: , my bad.

WELCOME, dougt to the Huglu forum, hope you stick around.

cdb

#6 ·
Quite right cdb!!!!!!

There ARE other uses for 26" barrels......but y'know....26" barrels were invented for grouse hunting.....other uses are "also rans"!!! :D :D :D

A dedicated grouse gun in New England NEEDS 26" barrels!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

#8 ·
AH GEEZ!!!!!!

Never hunted grouse!!!???? You haven't lived until one has thundered out from under you feet! :D :D :D

We're going to have to fix that! Maybe next fall before the pheasant hunt? I'll work on finding the place! :D :D :D

Best.....2few

#10 ·
OH MAN!!!!!!! You haven't lived yet!!!!!

Ole Mr. Ruffy is a "queer bird"! He's not like a pheasant. He likes to "sit tight"! And he likes the thickest tangled stuff you can find. Now....with a dog, you have a chance. But with no dog, he will wait until you are just about stepping on him and then take off with a noise like thunder from right under your feet!

To my mind, the Ruffed Grouse is the greatest "trophy" in the world of bird hunting!

Best....2few

#12 ·
I guess I gotta get serious about finding some "grouse country"!!! None left here in CT! Not like back in the late '60s and early '70s! :( :( :(

I think I need to organize a Huglu Forum Grouse Hunt!

But I don't know where to begin.

Can any of the guys from "Up North" help me out here?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.