Shotgun Forum banner

Shoot with no choke

5K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Azam 
#1 ·
I went hunting for dove last Saturday, and discovered I had left the choke out of my Rem 870 Express Super Magnum 12 gauge shotgun. Anyone know if its ok to fire shells w/o a choke?

Thanks,

KP

#2 ·
It's not exactly good for the choke threads. In other words, I wouldn't do it on purpose.

Scott

#3 ·
I have done it a few times with Berettas and Rizzinis, and never had a problem other than dirty threads in the barrel. However, I never shoot more than about 3 shells at a time that way before cleaning. I have heard of a few other people doing it with no problems.

Some people say it is foolish to risk damaging a gun that way, but I've never seen any damage from it.

It is probably not a good idea to do that on purpose, but if I was in the dove field with no choke tube, I would blaze away and not worry about it.

#7 ·
I've shot my Browning 425 12 ***** a couple hundred rounds with out chokes with no problem. Usually its only a few rounds at a time as in a close station of sporting clays. However I forgot my chokes one day when I went to shoot skeet and I shot four rounds without chokes, chokes screwed in fine when I got home. All the shells I have shot without chokes have had a 1pc wad with pedals.
I have shot skeet with people who had Remington and Winchester autos and pumps who left their chokes out because they didn't have a skeet choke and when they finished the choke screwed in fine.
I am not recommending anyone shoot their gun without chokes, I am just sharing my experience.
If I have a loose enough choke handy I prefer to shoot with a choke installed.

#8 ·
Shooting *Threads* i.e. no choke tube is common practice at cloose shots. A buddy frequently uses this method without any damage after a decade shooting this way for cloose shots. Oh, he must have a few thousand shots with no thread damage.
Has anyone seen damaged threads this way?
For steel i would use chokes for sure, too much stress in the choke area.

Regards, Azam

#9 ·
Even with steel, i doubt the threads would be damaged,
the I.D. (minor dia.) of the threads are always quite a bit larger than the bore dia.,the wad/shot column wouldn't even touch the threads, as it would pass the threads short length and never have time to expand out the the thread dia in that short duration of time.
The only time threads might have a chance of being threatened is if you have chokes like on my Dehaan U1 28ga, that have the threads on the exit end of the choke rather than the entrance end.you run a little higher risk with that type scenario,but i still doubt lead in a plastic wad would hurt them much, parhaps after many,many rounds.

#10 ·
So what you guys are saying is that it is fine to shoot your gun with the choke tubes removed? I wonder why companies make cylinder choke tubes? Why do they tell us to always have a tube in place? I wonder how 2000 rounds of Hevishot would work in that Rizzini or 425?

I think I will skip this practice with my guns. Imagine taking your Browning in for warranty after shooting the choke threads out of it. "Hey, the guys on shotgunworld.com said that it was OK!" :lol: :lol:

#11 ·
I don't condone the practice,as i think you would get some really dirty threads, and make a mess of a cleaning job for yourself trying to get buildup out of the threads, that same buildup would eventually even help protect the threads further if shot that way extensively,
it's my contention that it would be virtually impossible to shoot the threads out of the choke area by this practice, i don't think it's even possible to achieve with a rear threaded choke system.
I've personally never done it,as i don't like gettin my threads dirty.
I wonder if tide laundry detergent would do a good job cleaning threads? 8)

#12 ·
I agree that it's unlikely that the wad or shot will get into the threads, and that shooting this way can be done without causing damage. My concern is that with the structure provided by the choke tubes removed, the steel barrel walls in the choke area are quite thin, and even a very mild impact can damage the muzzle, resulting in a trip to the 'smith.

#14 ·
Wow, this has been a great thread (bad joke, I know!)

Bottom line is, I won't leave the choke tube out of my shotgun again. There may be no damage done by leaving it out, but I could do w/o the buildup on the threads, and I would rather play it on the safe side and leave the tube in.

Currently, I have three choke tubes: full, modified, and improved cylinder. I used the improved cylinder for the majority of my early season dove hunts, and may go to a modified if the birds are flying higher in the late season.

For real close shots, I'm thinking of getting a skeet tube. Anyone use one for doves closer than 20 yards?

KP

#16 ·
Dumb thread, nope. Thats just a personal perspective to some. There is truth to there being no *dumb* questions.....
Wonder what some top master class shooters in houston/USA or level 3 NSCA instructors would say about shooting with no choke tubes....since they do it extensivly in NSCA registered shoots. But since this is a *dumb* thread no sense in debating it. Shoot well.

Regards, Azam.

#19 ·
First of all, I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would ever deliberately shoot a shotgun with no choke tube in it. Is this some secret to great patterns? Some one please fill me in.

Wonder what some top master class shooters in houston/USA or level 3 NSCA instructors would say about shooting with no choke tubes....since they do it extensivly in NSCA registered shoots.
NSCA rules do require that a shotgun be "safe to shoot". With pretty well all manufacturers stating that you should NEVER shoot your shotgun without a choke tube installed I would have to wonder why no NSCA official wouldn't at least question this practice.

#20 ·
Shotgun T you raise 2 very interesting questions.
1- Patterns with shooting *threads*. To some it is snake oil, to others its better than a diffuser choke. Its all about belief or the placebo effect. To look at this another way, do we shoot better if we believe strongly in our equipment.....is shooting more mental than purely equipment? I believe shooting is more mental by far, so shooting threads may work for some.
2- Gun safety per manufac. guideline. I have seen a few muzzle end of barrels blown open, but they were due to loose chokes/bent lip of choke/blockage, none so far due to there being no choke. A loose/bent lip choke is far far more likely to result in damage.
Anyone heard/seen first hand any damage from no choke in bbl?

Regards, Azam.
PS. Stay safe and good shooting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.