Shotgun Forum banner

Accurate Solo-1250 powder?

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  TexasTon 
#1 ·
Anybody farmiliar with this powder. Ballistic Products has two loads I'm interested in. Both use the BPI MultiHull and CCI-209 primers pushing 1 1/4 oz. shot in there Light Brush Wad and Compact Eurotarget Wads. I haven't been able to find this powder locally and don't see it mentioned very often in posts here. Is it that hard to find everywhere? Perhaps I'll just pony up and pay the $20 hazmat fee to have it shipped.

#2 ·
I've used 8 pounds of it over the years, it is a pretty slow powder----I would relate it to IMR 4756, 540 or Herco if you ever used those.

It is a bulky powder, burns hotter than the aforementioned powders and will smoke/belch with the best of them----and be cleaner by far. It is a single based elastic powder, which is what I like. But I use alot of Solo 1000 in target stuff.

The powder works well in 28 and 20 gauge, one of those powders that with compromise, can be used in all three but really too slow for target 12's.

I think I would try a local gun club to see if they could put that in on an order before paying the HAZMAT, there are also other ways to get there without paying out the nose to BPI.

TT

#3 ·
I'm just about out of the 16# of what I had. Mine was Scott Solo 1250, not Accurate Solo 1250. I too am in the market for more and my local source is out too. After reading the descriptions of the old Scott book and several relative burn rate scales and the NEW 2004 version of the Accurate data booklet, I believe the newer 1250 is somewhat different and faster than the old version I had. Mine was more like PB, Heco, and Unique. In fact almost identical to Unique except clean. The new powder ranks much closer to Green Dot and the data for common use between the old Scott data and the new Accurate data would seem to confirm that! The new data calls for somewhat LESS powder than the old Scott data and the experience I had with my lot of 16# gave performance about right for the Scott data. If I used the Accurate reccomendations I was about 100 to 150 fps off with both my 20 and 28 ga loads. If you find some, super! Make sure you figure out what you are doing with it and check your loads. I think there is indeed some change and difference in the Solo 1250 and I have no idea when it happened.
Personaly,I liked it a lot! But that was the old stuff.

BP

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Like I said I guess I'll just mail order some. I'll save up a little and get a couple powders and primer all at once to save on the hazmat fee. There are also some Solo-1000 7/8 oz. loads I would like to try. Can't find it locally either.

#6 ·
Well after trying again and again and not finding Solo-1250 anywhere I looked into the manual again and found a Herco load for the two wads I like that both push 1 1/4 oz a little over 1300fps. Herco was also hard to find localy but finally I did. Looks like Herco it will be and froma few responses that seems like it might not be a bad idea. Thanks.

#7 ·
The best dealer I know of, with prices and availability is in Marion, Tx (near SanAntonio) and is Trainer Hale Supply
15391 Bexar Bowling, Marion, TX 830-420-4530.

Vern Winkleman is the guy, and he should be there tomorrow, this weekend I expect he was at Nationals,

You might get some guys together and share freight and HAZMAT, I don't know if that is 200 or 2000 miles away for you. It's 640 for me. :roll:

TT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.