Shotgun Forum banner

Identifying Beretta Choke Tube Types

208K views 88 replies 45 participants last post by  red scout 
#1 ·
Beretta currently uses (or recently has used) 3 different choke tube types on different models of shotguns. They can be identified by the image below. Note that all the tubes pictured here are flush tubes. There are several styles of extended tubes with different styles of extension, but the part of an extended tube that goes inside the barrel will match one of the flush tubes illustrated below.

Thanks to Worc for helping with the picture.

There is a fourth choke tube type that was used on a few of the first guns Beretta made with choke tubes. The tube itself has no threads on it, but it is held in place by a collar that screws onto threads on the outside of the barrel.

A warning about interchanging tube types.
Beretta has created a confusing situation with the use of three different choke tube systems (four, counting the old drop-in, collared type). It gets even more confusing when you consider Benelli choke tubes. Benelli is owned by Beretta, and they have recently brought out several choke tube types that appear similar to the Beretta Optima and Optima Plus tubes, but are designed to be used with a bore diameter that is different from the Beretta Optima bore. To make matters worse, as far as I can determine Beretta/Benelli has not provided the public with information on how to tell the Benelli choke types apart, nor which gun models use which choke type. Even the names of Benelli's tube types are confusing - Trulock, which makes some of the tubes for Benelli, uses a name that Benelli USA does not use on its web site. The result of all this is mass confusion about which tubes can be interchanged.

Of course it has been known for a long time that the Benelli "Standard" tubes that were used for years are identical to Beretta's MobilChoke tubes, and can be safely interchanged. In fact, some aftermarket tube manufacturers label these tubes BER/BEN to indicate that they are for either Beretta or Benelli guns. Now that Beretta has Optima and Optima Plus tubes, and Benelli has a couple of similar tube types, some people are trying to interchange them. I do not recommend that unless you first get a gunsmith to check and make sure that the particular switch you want to make is safe, and measure the bore and choke diameters to determine the degree of choke you will get if you make that switch.

The fact that some Beretta tubes will screw into some Benelli barrels and vice versa does not mean that they can be correctly interchanged. The bores of the Beretta and Benelli guns do not have the same diameter, so switching the tubes will result in a degree of choke that is different from what is marked on the tube. More importantly, you should not assume that the tube seats correctly at the skirt nor that a sufficient length of threaded section engages to hold the tube in place. It is possible for some of these tube types (even within the same brand) to screw in place but leave a section of the tube outside the barrel. Shooting a gun that way could result in damage to the tube and/or the barrel, and is potentially dangerous to bystanders.

Maybe someday Beretta/Benelli will tell us clearly which tube types can be safely interchanged, but don't hold your breath until it happens. In the meantime, don't do it without getting it checked out by a gunsmith first.

See less See more
#28 ·
John, those are apparently not Beretta factory choke tubes, they are aftermarket tubes. I don't know what brand they are or what code the manufacturer uses. The only way you will find out for sure what they are is to measure them and the bore of the gun with an accurate bore micrometer.

#29 ·
catdaddy said:
I am assuming I have the Mobil Chokes because of the size,2", but what does the PB stamped on it stand for? These came with my Beretta Pintail.
Hey Seamus! You answered this guy's question above with PB standing for P. Beretta, back more than a year ago.

Are you sure that it, PB doesn't stand for in this case, lead?

I see Ber/Ben chokes marked as "Not for Steel", and "PB", which is the standard sign for lead.

And I am sure that I have seen markings on the very same choke, such as "steel-full/PB-modified", (which means that the constriction is full for steel, or modified for lead), but it may not have been on Ber/Bens.

Or does Beretta have still another "confusion factor", besides names, threads and sizes, on their chokes here?

#30 ·
Thanks for posting this explanation of the Beretta chokes. Even after reading this very good explanation I am still a little confused. I figure if I read it a few more times I'll start to understand this convoluted mess.
Baretta coudn't have made this more confusing if they had tried.

#33 ·
skeet1958 said:
The AL391 Urika 2, 12 ga, Sporting model with the extended chokes. Are these chokes, Optima Plus or Optima. Hopefully not a dump question.
Depending on maybe how old it is, they most likely are Optima. (The Plus here is a confusion factor, since it relates to the older, smaller bore size, actually the same as the Mobil in diameter.)

And now they have came out with another new model, the Optima HP, (for supposedly high performance.) The newer UGB's and the new A400 both take the new HP. (I don't know if they have started producing that set up in the 391 sporting line or not, as yet.)

#36 ·
Others can correct me but I believe 4 notches are Improved cylinder, three are Modified and one notch is Full. If you clean the choke off and look carefully with a magnifying glass, it will usually have printed on the shaft of the tube what the choke is. Newer Beretta chokes will give you two descriptions, one if using lead shot and another if using steel shot.

#39 ·
Yes, there most certainly is. That may seem like a long description to you, but it is comprehensive.

Down toward the bottom you will find a table that describes every type of choke identification Beretta has ever used to mark their chokes. I understand that this is a stretch, but, under the collum headed "Serrations" is the information you seek.

#41 ·
Can I try and get someone to add to this...

Does anyone make Extended type tubes for the Extema? I have been looking at maybe coming up with some custom chokes for the Extrema I am currently shooting trap and 5 stand with.

#44 ·
OK this may be a trivial question but I was looking on MPC sports website and I was looking @ Briley 20 gauge extended chokes. I have a Benelli 20ga M1 and a Beretta 20 gauge White Onyx. When I look @ the Benelli extended chokes they are $3.00 less than the Beretta extended mobile chokes. Aren't they the exact same choke?? $3.00 is no big deal but just curious if I'm way off base or not???

#46 ·
Jeep5ter, I am not as familiar with current models of Beretta O/U's as I am with the semiautomatics. I did shoot Beretta O/U's for years before I went over to the dark side of the force, but that was decades ago.

I just checked the Beretta USA web site, and the specs on the Silver Pigeon I say MC (mobil choke). http://www.berettausa.com/products/686- ... on-i-12ga/

The tubes shouldn't be hard to get in, though. Do you have any oil or grease on them? Are they still tight after running the same one in and out a few times? Tolerances on the threads of both the tubes and the barrels are small, but there is a little variation, and some tube/barrel combinations are tighter than others.

#47 ·
Seamus: I just picked up some MobilChokess made by MDS and they fit just as well as the originals. Tight tolerance, but seat fully - I made sure to oil them up first. Maybe I'm just used to a sloppier fit. Cabela's had SP-I listed as Optima bore, and the manual was confusing to say the least. Thanks.

#48 ·
I agree that it is often difficult to detect exactly which choke you are supposed to use for Berettas, and I believe that the year of manufacture plays a role. If you click on the following link to the Beretta website, you should be able to tell by looking at your barrels and/or the factory chokes if you have them.

http://berettausa.custhelp.com/app/answ ... il/a_id/41

Ie, if your barrel has "OB" stamped on the barrel next to the gauge, then you have Optima chokes. If you see "PB" on the side of one of your factory chokes, then you have Mobilchokes.

hope this helps,
mark

#49 ·
Seamus O'Caiside said:
Jeep5ter, I am not as familiar with current models of Beretta O/U's as I am with the semiautomatics. I did shoot Beretta O/U's for years before I went over to the dark side of the force, but that was decades ago.

I just checked the Beretta USA web site, and the specs on the Silver Pigeon I say MC (mobil choke). http://www.berettausa.com/products/686- ... on-i-12ga/

The tubes shouldn't be hard to get in, though. Do you have any oil or grease on them? Are they still tight after running the same one in and out a few times? Tolerances on the threads of both the tubes and the barrels are small, but there is a little variation, and some tube/barrel combinations are tighter than others.
Just bought a new SP1 and it came with Optima chokes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.