Shotgun Forum banner

Iver Johnson Champion 410

12K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Elicombs99 
#1 ·
I was recently given an Iver Johnson Champion single shot 410 shotgun to hopefully restock and refinish for my girlfriends grandfather. The gun has a top lever action release and auto-ejector. serial number is 13566 and the Barrel reads:
"-410 Gauge Choke Bore Barrel and Lug Forged in One-"
"PAT.D. June 15, 15 PAT.D. Pending"

Side of receiver reads:
"Iver Johnson's
Arms & Cycle Works
Fitcheburg,Mass USA
Champion"

Just curious if anyone could tell me if the second "15" printed on the barrel of the gun indicates the year of manufacture (ie. 1915).

Secondly, I've understood that some years of this guns manufacture have used the same size frames for the smaller gauge guns as they did for their larger gauge guns.... I'm wondering if anyone knows if a stock from a larger framed gun would fit frame on my smaller 410 framed gun. OR if anyone knows where I can find a replacement 410 gauge stock for this gun. Thanks alot!

See less See more
#2 ·
The patent date is not the date it was made. By serial number I believe the gun was made between 1909 and 1919. Come to think of it, I think I read somewhere that the model was not called Champion until 1917. Did this gun belong to your girlfriend's grandfather? Was just wondering because if it doesn't have sentimental value, you are probably going to have more into the gun than it is worth when you are finished unless you can find another used gun for next to nothing for parts.

#3 ·
Yes, the gun belonged to her great great grandmother actually..she used it to shoot rattle snakes that made it into her yard back in the day as the matter of fact!..haha. Her grandfather asked me if I could try and fix it up for him. I'll be re-browning the barrels and polishing the receiver up, I know the receiver was originally was case colored, but I don't have the equipment or the know how to do that. The gun is functional, just needs new wood, the fore end is missing a piece but is functional, The stock on it is already not original, its been crudely replaced with two slabs of oak, probably by her great grandfather or a friend maybe.

There is a parts gun on gunbroker right now that has a stock and a receiver, but the receiver is a 12 gauge, and I'm just wondering if anyone knew if the 12 gauge stock would fit my 410 receiver or not. I'd like to find a fore end and a stock to fit it, but I know the fore end from a different gauge wouldnt fit the 410 barrel. just wondering about the stock for now... any input would help.. if anyone knows someone who makes replacement stocks for these older guns let me know too! just supposed to find some numbers and let him know and see if hes willing to pay it.

#4 ·
I don't know why I didn't think of this in my earlier post. I have a 12 gauge and 16 gauge from same time period as yours. I also have a .410 champion from the 1940's. I compared all three and the stocks are the same. If there is any difference it is in the width at the wrist but it is so minute on my guns that it would be no trouble to make fit. This is assuming your gun is built on the larger frame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.