Shotgun Forum banner

Used shotguns at Cabela's

5K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  r2d1robert 
#1 ·
Wondering what you all think about buying off the used rack at Cabela's? I was there yesterday and they had some decent looking guns...although I was less than excited about some of the prices. I would think one could get a decent, used autoloader for less than $450, which seemed to be about the bottom of where most were.

They did have a nice S&W for less. A 1000 I believe.

Curious on a few things.
First, anyone know if the prices are negotiable there?
Second. Are most guns "fixable"? I mean if I would happen to get one that had a problem...are their some issues that simply make a gun dead?
Third. What kind of things should I look for in used gun that show how much life is left in it?

I have recently found out that I cannot shoot steel through my older, but much loved Fausti O/U...and most of what I will be doing is waterfowling. Really dont want to sell the Fausti but funds are pretty tight.

thanks.

#4 ·
Cabela's, (like Gander and BASS), is flexible on pricing - to a point. They typically give the seller wholesale blue book (~67%) then sell for retail blue book. That gives them some wiggle room on price, about 10% or so.

As to the merchantability of the used gun - do your homework about that model BEFORE you buy and really scrutinize it - have them break it down, make sure everything seems fine and ask about the ability to get a warranty or bring it back if something is wrong.

Example, Gander here had a nice Belgian double - proofed at 2-1/2" and so marked, they listed it at 2-3/4. I brought it to their attention and their "gunsmith" dropped a 2-3/4 dummy round in and said it was that length - so beware that their gun "experts" most often are NOT.

#5 ·
Tijeras_Slim said:
Buy one of the softer non-toxic shotshells. Cheaper than a "new" steel capable gun, and you get to keep the Fausti.
This is the option I would love to do...but who wants to pay for Bismuth?

$30 for 10 rounds is a bit much.

Are there other softer loads that are cheaper? If so what are they and where do you recommend buying them?

#6 ·
if you want to try reloading if you are not already try going down to the Nice Shot forum and ask some questions about waterfowl reloads safe for your gun. Nice Shot is supposed to be compatable with older non steel guns. it also depends on teh type of waterfowler you are. i know some hunters that go through 2 flats of steel a season and some that go through 2 boxes. if you are a 2 flats guy then finding a steel shot gun is the answer if you are a 2 box guy then some of the non toxic shot could still be your answer.

#8 ·
I have bought one gun from Cabella's on-line. They did come down on the price about 10% and did a very good job handling the deal. The gun, a Belgian Browning was delivered as shown with no supprises. No complaints on the only deal I've had with them so far.

#12 ·
The Cabelas I frequent in Dundee, MI has a used rack that contains so many very over priced guns. Gander Mountain is the same by me. They're selling used 870's about ten dollars less than a new one. Their gun library I bet is different, but I don't have the resources for those kinda guns just yet. Winchester SX's are great guns, as are Beretta's for waterfowling among many others. But stick with a good brand and it'll save you money in the long run.

#13 ·
One point to remember for the Cabela's used guns is that they typically have a 30 day return/repair option so if you find something wrong, a return is possible, and if you like it but it has a malfunction, they can have the gun repaired for you to satisfaction.

Keep that in mind vs. buying something in as-is at a local pawn shop etc.

When you purchase, ensure that the gun you are getting has the return/repair option and is not a strictly as-is. See if your other local establishments cover sales the same way to assist in deciding who will get your trade.

Kirby

#14 ·
Also, you can use Club points, coupons, etc. and Cabela's lets you combine them in ways that many retailers don't, i.e. if something is marked "20% off" you can still apply points and coupons to the purchase on top of that. Sometimes the game is worth playing, sometimes not.

#15 ·
The only guarantee Cabelas has on used guns is that it goes "bang". That's been about for a year and a half.
However, if one keeps a watchful, educated eye open; he can find deals at Cabelas; but not like in the past.

#16 ·
Cabelas is usually quite a bit high on prices. I have purchased two guns from them, one a used Browning 525 Sporting that arrived with a very noticeable crack in the wrist. When I contacted them, they were not interesting in making a deal for less money for the gun and I wound up sending it back. The second was an older Browning Citori Trap gun which I paid too much for but arrived as advertised and has been a great gun. Now that I know better, I probably won't buy from them again.

Regards,

Steve

#18 ·
I would pass on the S&W 1000, for a gun that had a longer production run, and better reputation.

I would not hesitate to buy a gun from Cabela's or anywhere else, but, I will know the guns rep, the gun's worth, and won't be shy to offer them less than asking price. In my experience, when it comes to used guns everythings negotiable, and never get in a big hurry there's always another deal around the corner.

Jeff

#20 ·
I purchased my Browning SxS English and T2 TBolt from 2 different Cabela's
outlets. In both cases, Cabela's negotiated price, the firearms were pristine,
and the shipping to my FFL was smooth and timely. Pleased.

I like the way Cabela's posts large numbers of their preowned firearms on the
GunsInternational web site. Convenient- and I don't need to wade into their
new Cabela's site that much.

I'm a Cabela's Club member-- so far I've had nothing but positive experiences
with the company and its' reps in purchasing firearms.

.02 David :D

#21 ·
In my instance I was able to get some extras that normally wouldn't have come with the sale. I found an 11-87 Sportsman 20Ga. on the sale rack tagged at $199. Negotiated down to $190 with 2 additional Remchoke tubes thrown in at no extra cost. Gun was in excellent condition. As was said earlier, if you are not 100% sure about the deal, walk away there's another one just around the corner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.