Shotgun Forum banner

AL391 Teknys Gold vs. AL 391 Urika Sporting Optima

15K views 19 replies 19 participants last post by  Geno 
#1 ·
I am looking for shotgun for sporting clays and some skeet. I like the Beretta AL391 series, but I'm not sure about which one. I believe the advantages of the Teknys gold are:

Silver receiver
Better wood with the Teknys Gold
Beretta recoil reduction included with Gold version (drilled for, but not included with Sporting Optima)
Teknys Gold has Gel-Tek recoil pad

I'm a fairly informal shooter, just friends on the weekends, no real goals for formal competition and I believe advantages are mainly cosmetic. The Beretta web site isn't real clear and was wondering if I am missing something. I am leaning towards the 30" barrels (vs. 28"). I could buy the Gel-Tek and recoil reducer separately, I wonder if they really make a difference anyway.

Thanks

#2 ·
I won't try to make your mind up on the cosmetics, but I do think the gun is lite enough on the nose that a 30" is a good choice, but if you could hold and point one it would help you decide.

I'm not at all impressed with the gel-tek pad, you would be better off with a limbsaver or Kickeez.

#5 ·
I just went through this process, and ended up buying the a AL391 URIKA GOLD SPORTING SILVER RECEIVER, 12 gauge with 30" barrels. The difference between this $1200 gun and the same gun in Teknys Gold (blue enamel insert, all silver receiver, and around $1600-1700), other than cosmetics, are that the Gold gun has: 1) a fiber optic front sight (391 Urika has a bead); and 2) the Gold model has the 8.5 ounce recoil reducer installed ( the 391 Urika is inlet for it, but you have to order it from Beretta: $45 for the 8.5 ounce part. Some posters on this forum say it does not provide much benefit. I'll probably buy it because it is inexpensive, and I don't mind adding some weight to the gun, and I aspire to the softest shooting gun I can get.).

Both guns have the Optima chokes ($50 PER CHOKE, at Gander Mountain), both have the jeweled bolt face, and both have nice wood. Fit and finsih on my gun, overall, is excellent to superb. I got lucky with my Urika, which has the real walnut, not XTRA wood: the stock has some very nice figure.

My gun will be for all around use: trap practice, the in the Fall, on goes the included slimmer recoil pad, and I get very serious about duck hunting from a kayak. I liked the fancy look of the Teknys Gold, but also like the Urika Sport, so I bought the less expensive gun and have an extra $500 in my pocket.

Also, Beretta has an offer going right now: buy a 391, and send in a coupon to get a $188 waterfowling parka that looks very nice. Good for me, maybe good for you.

God luck. Let us know how you make out.

Regards-Mawgie

#6 ·
I too have been looking at adding a 391 Sporting gun to my safe and looked at the Urika Sporting, Sporting Gold
and in passing the Teknys Gold.
I have shot 2 different Teknys Golds. Both w/30" barrels.
:arrow: Neither has the GelTek pad, Gone Like a Freight Train :lol: Replaced by Kick Eez :wink:
#1) Was sent to Briley for a trigger job/action polished (very nice) and a Briley Bolt release closure 30" barrel
and the 8.5oz Beretta weight removed. NOSE HEAVY but the owner likes it that way. Each his own.
#2) Out of the box w/a Kick Eez 30" barrel and weight still in the buttstock. Balances better for me and the owner :wink:
Both guns have beautiful wood REAL WOOD
Did I mention how pretty the wood was :wink:
For the money I would have to stay with the Urika Sporting or the Parallel Target in a 28" barrel.
If I upgraded looks I would go with the Urika Gold Sporting.
The Teknys Gold is out of the question.
The Optima Choke tubes are HIGH priced, except for Trulocks at
MPC Sports. Extended non-ported $34.95 :wink:

#7 ·
And I just shot mine for the first time tonight. Busted my first target with it, thank goodness. LAst night I fiddled at length with adjusting the drop/cast spacers (Iam a lefty), and relatively please so far. The gun is nice and lively in my hands, and mounts well.

Boy, it it nice and soft on the cheek, too. I still think I'll add the recoil reducer, just to scratch that itch for myself, and am giong to look into adding a Kick-Eeze pad.

Anyway, I am a brand new owner, and very, very happy. (This is going to make me one he## of a field gun, too.)

Regards-Mawgie

#8 ·
When I was looking for a new gun for my wife, I was told by three Beretta sponsored shooters and two distributors to go with the Sporting over the Teknys and use the difference for lessons or range fees and ammo. Other than cosmetics, they are the same gun and the Teknys still has a few bugs to work out. I have a Gel-Tek on my 390 and think it was a waste of $30. I wish I would have put a Kick-eez of some such pad on it instead as the Gel-Tek is rather stiff. It seems to be one of those things you either love or hate and I guess I fall on the hate side.
I followed their advice and I am now the owner of 2 new 391 sporting guns. I bought one with the 30" Optima bore and another with a 28" barrel and the old Mobile choke for a couple hundred less than one Technys. Now we have a good field gun and a back up/parts gun if something should happen to the first.

#9 ·
I kinda like silver recievers, but I don't like them THAT much! Mine is a 20 ga Sporting AL 391 Urika with 28" barrels. I see no reason for 30" barrels on a gun with a reciever that long? :? Wood?? I've seen very few Tekneys or the like with better wood than mine has, but I must admit it is exceptional. In fact that is the only reason I have the gun. I'm not an auto kind of guy, but I just had to have this one, and you can always use another 20 ga!

BP

#11 ·
I have the 391 Sporting Optima 28" and a minty (just bought used) older 391 Gold Sporting, black receiver 28" / mobil choke with great wood. A buddy shoots the Teknys Gold Sporting 28" and another the 391 Sporting Optima 30".

All have added weight in the butts (8 to 18 oz) and some on the front end (sans the 30"). All are great guns with no significant difference in the way they shoot - go with what suites your fancy and balance it to suite you.

The 30" Optima barrel is a little front end heavy for me (even with 18 oz in the butt), but not for my bud. If I were to go with a 30" it would be the lighter Mobil Choke barrel. I also shoot some skeet and a little trap - mostly as practice for SC these days.

#12 ·
I have a field model Urika with a 30 inch sporting barrel on it.

I like the thinner stock of the field model. The gun is fitted.
One pad is thicker and is used for clays, the other is thinner and used for hunting. Easily interchangeable with an allen wrench.

Find a good gun fitter and they can do the same for you.

Good luck!

#14 ·
If you want the Teknys, watch for a good used one. I have both the Teknys Gold Sporting and the Teknys Gold trap, both with 30's. Both were only a few months old and like new. I bought the Sporting locally for $ 1,200 and the Trap on the net for $ 1,120. ALOT less than new + tax.

#16 ·
I just bought the Beretta AL 391 Teknys Gold Target and I love it. I have a neck injury(c5, c6 fused) and the design of this shotgun offers many options to reduce recoil. The stock has an adjustable comb height and cast-on or cast-off. The Optima_Bore barrel does not overheat while shooting clays like my prior shotgun. On the front end, I installed the heavy long end cap to reduce recoil. I also can install a medium or light cap in a heartbeat. The gun comes with an additional rib if I want to change that. The recoil pad does not hang on my clothes when shouldering the gun. I hit more clay targets with this than any other shotgun I tried. It was more money than I wanted to spend, but there was no other shotgun out there that made me happier.

#18 ·
NewToClays said:
I am looking for shotgun for sporting clays and some skeet. I like the Beretta AL391 series, but I'm not sure about which one.
Thanks
Contact Coles in Maine. You can buy a new U2 with upgraded wood that already has a trigger job and a polished action. They will have any other accessories you might want also. Great people to deal with.

#20 ·
I like the black receiver on the Urika-doesn't reflect the sun glare as much. The Techneys models are also know for having the blue "swoosh" attachment come loose. I have a 30 inch Optima sporting with extended factory chokes including a LM factory choke purchased seperately and a 28 inch field Urika with flush chokes, although I bought a briley LM extended choke for it. Great guns! The 391 field is heading with me to South Dakota next week-it really has a thing about pheasants :mrgreen:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.