Shotgun Forum banner

Franchi 912 variomax

14K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Thedogfather 
#1 ·
Opinions good or bad about it?

#2 ·
Lots of reviews in the Franchi Forum. They are a good model that are wekl made and reliable. They are also very easy to clean and one of the better 3 1/2" designs for lighter loads. They are a little on the beg feeling. When they first came out they about average/middle of the roiad weight wise. By todays standards they are a little on the heavy side. They do have good balance with more weight towards the stock. They have good features like shims to adjust the stock and automatic magazine cutoff's.

This is the model that Beretta used as the bases for their then new A391 Xtrema.

It's a good choice for a waterfowling and turkey model and I could be happy using one for either use.

#4 ·
can't comment on long term durability. I've had one for over 5 years, but it sat in its case until this fall. I've used it a few times, and it has been just fine. I have the 26" Max4 model, and it balances well.

It has a semi-humpback design, w/ a raised rib, just as an FYI when it comes to 'fit'.

#5 ·
Hello all, new to the forum, though an observer for some time, and very impressed with the breadth of knowledge and the civility here. Not yet a Franchi owner (couple of Browning o/u and an H&R grouser).

I am not new to shooting, having shot clays and upland birds in various places for many years but I would like to get out after turkey and waterfowl in 2011 and I have been looking at a 912 Variomax in rather good condition -matt, synthetic, 26" bbl, 3 chokes, hard case etc.

Now I have never met anyone who admits to having lost money on the stock market or paying retail for anything, so I am aware that there are many here who could find just this gun for $350 lol. However, after much searching, the best I can find is $550.

Seriously though, is that a reasonable price, assuming the gun is indeed in good shape, or should I keep looking? Also, does anyone have any views on negative 912 performance with Hevi shot?

Thanks very much for your help.

#6 ·
bought one, very lightly used, with case, manual, tubes, etc., for $375 last year. I think they shouldn't be hard to find for $450 or so, as I looked on the auction sites shortly after I bought mine and that's what most seemed to bring. Remember asking price tends to be higher than selling price.

I am very happy with mine. I bought it as a backup for my SBE and used it pretty hard on a high volume duck hunt in S Texas and crane hunted with it a couple times. It has one minor quirk. Depending on brand, there are times when I cannot get 2 3.5" shells in the magazine. It hasn't been a big issue and I haven't heard of any other Variomax owner having this problem. It accepts 2 3" shells easily, it's merely a dimensional thing. So check that if you intend to shoot 3.5s.

I can definitely feel the weight difference between the 912 and my SBE. But for what I use it for, it's not a problem, actually maybe a good thing - it does seem felt recoil is a little softer, which probably has more to do with the gas operation but the weight helps too.

#7 ·
Thanks for that. I'm in no rush and will continue to look at the Variomax and Beretta 390s. Not sure why, but I sort of have a thing for Franchi, the Italian red-haired stepchild. Almost bought a Renaissance Sporting last year and love the way the I-12 looks, although it has not been reviewed commensurately.

Cheers,

RPR

#9 ·
Thedogfather said:
It has one minor quirk. Depending on brand, there are times when I cannot get 2 3.5" shells in the magazine. It hasn't been a big issue and I haven't heard of any other Variomax owner having this problem. It accepts 2 3" shells easily, it's merely a dimensional thing. So check that if you intend to shoot 3.5s.
Sounds like you need to trim you plug down a little. Start by taking off small amounts and recheck with three 2 3/4" shells and two 3 1/2" shells that would not fit before. You want to make sure three 2 3/4" shells wont fit with the plug installed.

#10 ·
Yep, just haven't had time yet. This may not be even a Franchi problem, may be a homemade plug.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.