Shotgun Forum banner

Beretta 686 Essential

27K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  edw8ri 
#1 ·
I just put a 12 gauge 686 Essential on lay away at my local Gander Mountain. The gun is in excellent shape, has the manual and 3 choke tubes. I have been looking for an inexpensive o/u, and had never seen one of these before. I would like to use it for upland game, skeet and occasional sporting clays. The gun looks as if it had never been fired, but there was some "smudging" on the side of the receiver. The gun was $499 -- is this a good price? What is the receiver made of?

Thanks for any advice.

#9 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong. I believe that the Essential was the earlier model of the Whitewing (MARKETING). Just like the S686 an the Silver Pigeon are one and the same except for slight variations. BTW, Great price on that stick. If you keep an eye on those Gander Mountain stores you run across some great buys on the used rack. I saw a SKB model 505 .410 that appeared unfired for 5 bills the other day. Sure wish I was that good of a shot.... it might have followed me home. I was back the next day for some other stuff and it was gone.
WDO

#11 ·
damn u got a hell of a steal on that gun i have been looking for one for around 650 forever and cant even find one at that! :cry: :cry: :cry: price i would kill for a deal like that have fun shooting and if u find u dont like it and wanna get rid of it give me a holler :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aaron

G
#12 ·
I know this thread is really old but I just as well picked up a silver 686 essential at gander mountain for 574.99, but get this...their was a special promotion that if u signed up for their credit card and puchased a gun you got 10% off. I took it as an omen that i HAD to buy it.

#14 ·
I just bought a S686 Essential O/U today from a buddy for $550.00, the gun is in great shape, with chokes installed, no papers but has only been shot a few times and has no visable wear. Is this a good deal and does anyone know why the gun is so tight to open and close, is that normal for the Beretta?

Thanks John

#15 ·
eightpoint said:
I just bought a S686 Essential O/U today from a buddy for $550.00, the gun is in great shape, with chokes installed, no papers but has only been shot a few times and has no visable wear. Is this a good deal and does anyone know why the gun is so tight to open and close, is that normal for the Beretta?

The reason why the 686 is so tight is that it has not been used
very much, after 2-3000 shots it should feel smoother. :wink:

#19 ·
I fully agree 8pointDuck, The Whitewing that was discontinued was only fancier and shinny finished jacking the price up well over a $1000. I think Beretta Corp shot their selves in the foot over that product line decision. The Beretta 686 Essential was a decent no thrills Plain-Jane field o/u for a reasonable price range. You can forget buying a Beretta O/U for under a grand anymore which is a shame in my opinion for a field/marsh beater.

#21 ·
You got an incredible deal. That is a very servicable gun. Someone told me that they are still offered fro sale in Europe. But despite its very attractive price, it was not a big seller in the US. They were only imported for a few years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.