Shotgun Forum banner

COYOTE HUNTING WITH SHOTGUN

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  woodsdog 
#1 ·
When coyote hunting with a 12ga what is the best load and choke to use ? Using a call and up close 45yds or less.

#2 ·
#4 buck with a coyote choke (check out Gunbroker.com) is more than sufficient. Trust me, it'll drop one dead in their tracks. My long shot to date is near 60 yards, so I can't testify to the 75 or 80 yard claim. However, from what I've seen, I believe the hype. Very dense pattern.

#3 ·
Would a full choke work or do you want a bigger choke mod. or imp cyl? What about #4 turkey loads?

#4 ·
#4 bird and #4 buck are two completely different loads. Do not switch to a mod or imp cylinder choke, as they are more open than full, and will produce a larger pattern. At the distances you're thinking about, you want a dense pattern. I don't know what type of gun you shoot, but for around $30 you can get a very good choke that will do the job. #4 bird has 135 pellets per ounce. You want #4 buck for coyotes...21 pellets per ounce.

#6 ·
#4 buck works, but so will Lead BB and High Speed Steel in T work at those shorter distances.

What ever you decide to use pattern test it. Especially buckshot, it doesn't behave the same through a choke as birdshot. You may find that an IC or Mod will give the best pattern.

#7 ·
In my part of the world, coyotes are not near the problem that feral dogs are. Dogs travel in packs and are very destructive. I have had them come onto my proch and deck. They attack and kill domestic animals and they will prey upon young fawns.

I have a 12 ga, modified, with 3 inch, 4 buck by the back door that goes onto the deck. Because there are +/- tolerances in both barrels and choke tubes, it just so happens that my combo gives a more concentric pattern and a tighter pattern with the modified (labeled modified) rather than the full or turkey full, with the 4 buck. It is an extremely effectie, one shot load out to 50 yards.

#9 ·
Carlson's http://www.choketube.com makes a specialized "Dead Coyote"choke made specifically for larger sized lead shot like #4 Buck which has 27 pellets or Hevi Shot's #T sized shot. These chokes are NOT designed for steel shot, they are for lead and/or the materials which make up Hevi Shot. According to the information I have, the choke works best with Hevi Shot's #t sized shot. My suggestion is to try normal lead buckshot loads first with the chokes you have or if you buy one of these specialized choke tubes, try the cheaper lead buckshot loads first. If you still don't get decent patterns at the distances you plan to shoot 'yotes, try the more expensive Hevi shot type offerings. I have the Carlson's choke but haven't patterned it yet. You do not want to use #4 birdshot for coyotes unless you're hunting turkeys or something and one comes in. To use birdshot specifically for coyotes would be unwise in my mind. Coyotes are pretty tough and birdshot just does not have the kinetic or retained energy that larger sized pellets have at typical coyote bustin' disatances like 40 plus yards. Personally, I can't imagine taking shots with shotgun at anything over 50 yards but the information with my dead coyote choke says "to deliver devasting patterns upwards of 70 yards when shooting larger shot sizes." Incidentlly this choke doubles as a good waterfowel choke too but remember you can't use lead shot so if you plan on using this choke for waterfowl, you need to use the non lead offerings like Hevi shot.

I hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.