Shotgun Forum banner

Stevens Model 67 Series E...any thoughts on these guns?

61K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  DWG64 
#1 ·
I was looking at this gun the other day. It was made in the late 80s. It is in excellent to new shape...been shot about 25 shells, oilded, wiped down and placed in the gun cabinet for the last 18 years or so.

I have heard several people bashing them. Are they that bad of a gun? If so, what is so bad about them? What would one pay for a gun as described above?

Thanks

#3 ·
My father bought me a 20Ga Stevens in the same model back in the 80's so I could learn how to shoot a shotgun and I have used it for hunting squirrels, rabbits, doves, and sporting clays and I haven't had one problem with it. In fact it has never been cleaned before in over 20 years and it still works great. How much are they asking for it?

#4 ·
I wonder if the Stevens model 67 is the same gun as the Savage model 67?? Anybody know?
I got one when I graduated from high school way, way, back in 1967 and it has always worked well and is in excellent shape. I think dad paid $35.00 for it used way back then.
Forgive my rambling, just wondered if they were the same gun?

#5 ·
Mine is a Savage Springfield 67F, 20ga. & it has no serial number.

#6 ·
Southern Shooter,

This is the second time you have asked this question on this forum in less than a week. I hope when you say "bashing", you were not referring to my experiences that I shared with you.
Sometimes, the answers you seek, may not be the answers you like. Here is the quote from my answer to you only a few threads below this one:

Welcome to Shotgunworld.
I am not going to bash the Model 67, however, I will give you my experience with them.
Years ago I owned a 20 & a 12. The reciever is made of pot metal and can be fragile & break as mine did when in need of gunsmithing. The actions were amond the roughest I have ever encountered and prone to misfeed. Several gunsmiths told me customers kept bringing them in over the years time & time again for problem after problem.
Savage/Stevens has made some solid reliable guns over the years. The Model 67 was not one of them.
For the price of used pumps nowadays, you could pick up a Rem. 870, Mossberg 500, an Ithaca 37, Browning BPS, or a Win 1200 or 1300 and be way ahead with any of them over the 67. I hope this helps.
If you already own a 67, then shoot, clean, and enjoy it & hope that it gives you years of good service. :D
Also, the Savage , Springfield & Stevens 67 are the same gun.

#8 ·
This is the Gun Opinion Forum. When you ask a question here about opinions on a specific gun, one must be willing to accept all answers positive & negative then make up your own mind based on information gathered. It is not "bashing" when someone answers your question and even welcomes you to the forum. No one wants to be accused of being a basher. Even a new person can understand that & I hope he does.
Southern Shooter, please let us know if you purchased the gun or not, and if so, my wish is that it operates flawlessly & gives you many years of good service. Again, Welcome to Shotgunworld, we hope to hear again from you.

#10 ·
Hey Folks,
I guess my post the other night did not go through.

I did purchase the Stevens for $75. I figured for a varment / HD gun that could be shot a few times a month for practice that price was ok. I have two 870s and a Mossberg 835 in the cabinet to take up the heavier shooting.

Thanks for the input.

#11 ·
i have a stevens model 67 series e 12 ga. (d 199706) that i've had since i was 18 and i'm 39 now,the gun has seen a lot of shooting through them years,and most of the shells were 3in magnum shot and slug,i've had no problems with this gun,i have yet to take it to a gunsmith to have any work done to it. my question is,is the gun worth anything for a trade in? please let me know,thanks.

#12 ·
Hi Fellers
I found this website looking for info on these guns. Long story to follow. 18 years ago or so my best friend Phillip and i were outside of Tyner KY. and Phillip bought a 20ga Stevens Mod. 67 ser. E off of some guy on the side of the road for $100.00. I told him he was nutz. Flash forward to 12 years ago my soon to be wife traded an "old" wedding ring from a previous marriage to her boss for a 12ga Stevens mod 67 ser. E and took it to my Soon to be best man Phillip and ask him to hold on to the 12ga untill we got married, (wedding gift) at which point he said I bought the little brother to that gun a long time ago and sold it to Calib. Wouldn't it be cool to have a set? Well long story short I got with Calib and bought the 20ga. for---you guessed it $100.00. Anyhow I have been married for 12 years to my sweetie and I had to do a little work to the 20ga. BIG DEAL!! No matter how junkie these guns are they are my family's guns. I have an 11 year old and a 7 year old and they have both started their shotgunning lives out on the Stevens mod 67 series E.
The End
By The Way Numrichs has tons of parts for these Shaw family Gems LOL!!

#13 ·
I have the model 67 e 12 gauge, its all right, only downfall is the inferior metal components. I broke a part on it, trigger gaurd and assembly. Anyone got any suggestions on where I can pick up another part or even a spare parts gun cheap? I figure if the price is more than about $30, I should just chip in a few more bucks and get a brand new shotgun. It would be nice to bring this one back to working order, since my father bought me the gun about 10 years ago. I'm hanging out around western new york, if any locals know of a good place to get parts let me know. Thanks alot for the advice.

#15 ·
I have had mine since I was 9 years old. My dad bought it for me for Christmas in 1983. I have put a lot of quail, grouse, duck, and squirrel on the dinner table with that gun and never have had a problem with it in the 27 years of service it has provided. When I was younger I used it to shoot trap. Even shooting a hundred rounds a weekend nearly every weekend during the trap season never brought on a malfunction. I don't know what he paid for it but I have got his money's worth out of it.

#16 ·
Back in the early 60^s my brother bought one for about 30 dollars. It didn^t take long for him to get rid of it. It fired but was really cheap. Then I was at a war muesem in Missouri one day and I couldn^t believe my eyes when there was one that was issued for troops in Viet Nam. I never can imagine putting someone^s life on the line with one.

#17 ·
I own a Savage Model 30E .410 (same basic gun as a 67) made in 1959 that has striking fiddleback walnut, doughnut post ventilated rib, gorgeous bluing, and gets mistaken (from 10 feet away) as a Model 42 sometimes. On the other hand, I've seen late 80's M67's made so cheaply they wouldn't function.

Savage had the same problems as Winchester,,,and both worked it the same way,,,by cheapening their guns until they finally had to shut the doors. It's not fair to compare a crappy 1970 Model 94 Winchester with it's stamped shell lifter and mystery metal receiver with a 1960 Model 94,,,any more than it is to compare an early 67 with a late one.

On that same note I own a late 40's Model 87 Springfield .22 auto that is a jewel of a gun compared to the same basic model Savage punched out 35 years later. When you are talking Savage/Stevens/Springfield/Fox guns it's very good to first determine how old it is. Like bourbon,,,usually the older the better.;)

#19 ·
Rogmatt said:
Southern Shooter,

This is the second time you have asked this question on this forum in less than a week. I hope when you say "bashing", you were not referring to my experiences that I shared with you.
Sometimes, the answers you seek, may not be the answers you like. Here is the quote from my answer to you only a few threads below this one:

Welcome to Shotgunworld.
I am not going to bash the Model 67, however, I will give you my experience with them.
Years ago I owned a 20 & a 12. The reciever is made of pot metal and can be fragile & break as mine did when in need of gunsmithing. The actions were amond the roughest I have ever encountered and prone to misfeed. Several gunsmiths told me customers kept bringing them in over the years time & time again for problem after problem.
Savage/Stevens has made some solid reliable guns over the years. The Model 67 was not one of them.
For the price of used pumps nowadays, you could pick up a Rem. 870, Mossberg 500, an Ithaca 37, Browning BPS, or a Win 1200 or 1300 and be way ahead with any of them over the 67. I hope this helps.
If you already own a 67, then shoot, clean, and enjoy it & hope that it gives you years of good service. :D
Also, the Savage , Springfield & Stevens 67 are the same gun.
None of the Stevens Model 67 I have worked on, including the 67E in my lap, have pot metal receivers. You may be confused or mistaken.

#21 ·
I've seen mint Savage-Stevens-Springfield Model 67 go for $100 to $250. I have two 410s, two 20ga, and one 12ga that are all in brand new condition. I like the looks of the older Model 67C the best. Being I'm a Stevens Model 5100, 530A, and 311A collector I've never shot any Model 67s so I'm not sure if they're any good to hunt or own.