Shotgun Forum banner

How many rounds in your gun for turkey?

7K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  20 gauge #1 
#1 ·
How many rounds should I keep loaded in my gun for turkey? I figure I should have at least 2, 1 for the initial shot, and 1 for a followup if necessary. Should I keep any more loaded? I can hold a max of 5 in the tube and 1 in the chamber.
BTW I am allowed only 1 turkey so I wont be worried about a second bag.

#2 ·
Regardless of the bag limit, you should have 3-4 just in case you miss or worse cripple one. It's a lot easier to sight in again or swing on the once downed bird rather than fumbling for more shells.

Another thing to keep in mind is that even though you think you are the hunter chasing the turkey, some other predators in the woods can end up stalking you. Several times a season there are stories of folks that encounter a coyote or bobcat that is coming to their calling....I would rather have extra shells in that circumstance.

#4 ·
Don't forget to check your local game laws to see if the number of shells allowed is mandated. You can call a game warden and get that info in about 2 seconds, also you can find a good place to hunt turkeys

#5 ·
:) hi furner, here in mo. we can ONLY HAVE THREE SHELLS IN GUN so make sure that what ever size shells you use , like 2 3/4, 3, 3 1/2 , that you gun will only hold three shells or the game warden that stops you will give you a ticket or worst take you to jail.so please check out your states regs. before doing any hunting ok? errol

#6 ·
8) Be confident. If the limit is one turkey, take one shell. :p :lol: Seriously, your state is probably like most and you will have to have your gun plugged. In KY you must have the plug in. The fact that you only have three shots loaded don't count unless the gun is plugged. I went deer hunting on Fort knox three years ago and when I got to my honey spot and started to load a little bell clinged. I checked and I had forgot the plug. I made one real quick out of a twig. Seems like its the little things that do us in. Good luck on getting a gobbler.

#10 ·
Here in Georgia I believe the season starts March 20th - May15th, 3 gobbler limit. #2 or smaller shot and 3 total in the gun.
If your state allows a max of 3 then just go ahead and put 3 up in it for safety sake.

My buddy will pattern 3 different sizes of shot. In the barrel he will have a #6 shot and then a #4 followed by a #5 will go in the tube. So when he shoots if he misses with a #6 he will have a #5 to shoot a little farther while the turkey is running away and then a #4 if he is way on out there.

I told him it was crazy so I always shoot 3 1/2" Federal or Remington #5 (they both pattern good in my Browning BPS with a Extra full ported Carlsons choke) and in the Win. 1300 20 gauge I shoot a 3" remington magnum turkey in # 6 shot with a extra full extended choke.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.