Shotgun Forum banner

Winchester handicap hulls, peters hulls'(12 ga.)

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  steveziv 
#1 ·
Happy New year everyone!
I answered a post on Craig's List about some older shotgun hulls. I met the guy and paid him for the once fired Remington green premier STS and Win. AA's (ones with the AA in the square).
Anyway, halfway through the box of Rems. I found about 250 blue Peters hulls. Everything that I have read indicates I can reload these the same as the Remington's.

I also bought a box of veteran hulls that still have a few reloads in them. To make a long story short I found some Winchester handicap hulls. Cut one open and it looks the same as the old school AA's. Are they, or do I need different load data?

Thoughts please

#5 ·
Tin Man said:
All Remington hulls load the same, use STS data, that would include the Blue Peters.
The original post mentioned "older hulls", so the general advice here might need some qualification depending on the age of the hulls.

Below is a photo of some blue Peters hulls. The two on the left should not, and probably cannot, be loaded using STS/Gun CLub recipes. These have very high basewads and need appropriate recipes.

According to common wisdom on this forum, the RXP hull (middle), the Blue Magic/Peters Target load hull (2nd from right), and the Gander Mtn-Peters hull (far right), all can be loaded with STS data.

(The current Remington two-piece high-brass hunting hulls do not use the STS data, although the one-peice high-brass hulls do.)

--Bob

#7 ·
MDick59-
The hulls you have are either the original "Blue Magic" or the later "Peters Target Load". The Blue Magics had an occasional problem with the hull separating just above the metal case head, and flying out the barrel at the shot. The PTL solved the problem. There does not seem to be an obvious way to tell them apart. Remington changed the primer types when they introduced the PTL, and once-fired hulls can be sorted if you know how to tell the primers apart. The flash hole is larger on one than the other, but I've forgotten which.

Most shooters like either of the types, and some geezers will find tears in their eyes when discussing their good reloading qualities.

--Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.