Shotgun Forum banner

beginner, 12 year old skeet shooter

3K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  kateskeet 
#1 ·
i know this question has probably been posted a thousand times, but i couldnt find an answer anywhere. i have a 12 year old, roughly average sized boy who is extremely interested in skeet shooting. i have never been a hunter, nor have i ever done any "sport" shooting. i have been a cop for 12 years though, so im pretty familiar with many types of weapons. this has me stumped.

some people suggest a 12g, others say a 20g. some say full size, some say a yough model. he has been sized up on all variants between the two gauge options and he says they both feel comfortable to him. any legitimate advice on a beginner skeet gun, preferrably not something in the pro ranges of $1,000.00? im not cheap or poor, but i feel its reasonable to start a newbie with a $200-300 shot gun and work up from there.

so, again my questions are:
good starter gun for a 12 yr old, average sided boy, beginner shooter?
20 or 12g?
thanks for any and all advice.

#2 ·
Well, $1000 doesn't even begin to get you close to "pro" ranges.

I'd start him out with a 20ga gas gun-- a Remington 1100 or 1187 would be ideal. You might have to get the stock shortened for him, and your best bet is to buy a cheap replacement stock and have that cut-- and reinstall the original stock when he gets a little bigger.

My only other caution would be to check with your local ranges to see if they allow kids that young to shoot. Around here, there's only one club that allows kids to shoot at 12.

#3 ·
Check to see if there is a Scholastic Clay Target Program, SCTP, near you. I will find a link and get it posted on here so you can find the director in your state. The program's goal is to get young men and women into the shooting sports. Instruction is provided along with gun safety, etc. Skeet shooting, sporting clays, and trap are taught depending on the location.

#5 ·
what drsfmd said! The 1100 or 1187 costs more than 200-300 bucks and it's worth it. In your price range, you're looking at a pump and more recoil applied to the kid. Just forget all about the "these are great 400 dollar over and unders"...they are junk. In the end, the gun is the cheapest part of the deal...so start with a decent gun. New shooter, less recoil is way mo' better.

You should also check around with the local 4H programs. We have a great program and provide loaner guns to our new shooters. If you can't find a 4H or SCTP near you, find a good local Instructor. They should have a few guns for him to use while they teach him the basics....and may be able to help you find a suitable gun. If he can shoot a loaner gun let him, and spend the money on lessons, shells, and targets. Later, if he really likes it, you will both know more about what he really needs gun wise. We see so many parents rush and buy a cheap gun (even though we beg them not to) only to find out later that it's junk, kicks like mule, and can't be re-sold for anything near what they paid for it.

The truth is, skeet shooting is costly sport. It can reward a young shooter with the discipline, focus, and concentration required that can be carried over into other areas of their life...like school work! Shooting is a privilege....make him earn it...you need to get some mileage out of this deal too!

#7 ·
I have two in YEHC and they both started on 20's. Now thier comfortable enough that they want to shoot 12's. I didnt want them to be gun shy right off the bat, so this was to ease them into it and concentrate more proper form. The twenty is lighter and less pipe sticking out front to help them balance it better. The Remington 20 youth model was less expensive. They can use my 12's now and when I want a light gun, I can sneak out for a hunt or two with the 20. Our Izaak Walton league has loaner guns to use also, both youth and full size, both pumps and semi's.

#8 ·
thank you all.

there are several shooting clubs in this area, some are school sponosored some are church/AR game and Fish sponsored, but they all compete and abide by the same sets of rules. i think 12 is the youngest they are allowed to compete, but we are in "duck country" here so some of these kids have been shooting about as long as theyve been walking.
i like the o/u, but i agree with the one statement about them kicking and being pricey for a good one. the ones ive seen are either ragged out and horrible looking or grossly overpriced for a new shooter.

im thinking about a mossberg 500pump (20g) or a 20g Bantam..

i think to some extent i want him to feel a few bumps and bruises in shooting, just to help him respect it a little more, and make it a little more real. hes fired my rifles and pistold before, but never to a large extent. a few days worth of sore shoulder and a good hickey will do him well i think..

#9 ·
There is a big difference between letting him shoot the kicker-cannon once or twice just to make a man out of your 12 year old son and having him shoot it up to 200 times per weekend. You do not want to have him develop recoil issues! You will want to stay away from the big recoil ammo and shotguns. I recommend that you seek the SCTP or 4H, or AIM or whatever you can find at your local gun club; speak to the coach about your son, ask what they offer and then enroll your kid into one of the 'Little League' shooting sports program.

As far as an age goes, 12 years is not too young to start them, some start much younger then that. The SCTP program has three different divisions based upon what grade the kids are enrolled in at school. The Rookie Division is for 5th Grade kids and younger. Your 12 year old would be in the Intermediate Division which is for 6th through 8th Grade and the 9th Grade through 12th Grade is the Senior Division. They then further categorize those age division down into sub-classes based upon the number of years that the kid has participated in the program. As such, a kid may be old enough to shoot in the Senior Division, however has no shooting experience. He/she would therefore not have to compete directly against other kids of the same age but whom might have five or six years of shooting experience.

If you can, hold off purchasing that shotgun for a while. If you already have a shotgun in your home that your son can shoot temporarily, do so. If you can borrow the clubs 'rental gun' or the SCTP Programs youth model 'lender gun' all the better! As a new shooter within the first three to six practices your son is going to make some major adjustments/changes/improvements to his shooting technique and skills. Until such a time, he absolutely can get by shooting a gun that may not be 100% perfect for him. During that time you as the parent should be meeting and discussing with the other parents as well as the coaches of the program and deciding what will be an appropriate gun for your son as he progresses further into his shooting. Your best purchase may be a hand-me-down gun from some other kid who after several years is stepping up to something else. Then when your kid gets to be a 14 or 15 and has physically (and technically) grown out of the gun, you can sell it to another beginning parent and mentor them on how the youth shooting program works.

#13 ·
I will add, do not buy him a shotgun at this time!!!!!!

When he starts shooting either 4H or SCTP, someone will have a loaner gun for him to shoot to begin with. This will get him started, allow him to shoot a few different guns, and you will find that one of the older kids/someone in the team has a shotgun that they have out grown that he fancies/shoot well, and will have such up for sale at a lot cheaper than you can find now.

Really, besides the free coaching the kids get from either of the above, the best part about it is someone is always outgrowing a shotgun, and has them up for sale all the time (read dirt cheap as well). Really, it not uncommon to find that a shotgun has gone through several kids over the years, and still shooting strong like the day it was bought new.

#14 ·
A pump is not the best choice for skeet, especially for a beginning shooter. An experienced shooter can handle a pump on the skeet field, but for a new shooter, there are enough things to think about without having to also operate the pump on doubles targets.

I suggest you rethink your budget a bit. $500 is a more realistic number. If you buy a clean used gun, most of the value will still be there if you decide to sell it down the line.

A good auto (1100, 11-87, 390/391, etc.) would be a fine choice. If you can pualuexsh your budget a little more, you could probably find a used Citori or SKB that would work well for skeet. Again, the value of these guns will be retained if you decide to sell the gun.

Whatever you decide, be sure to have fun shooting with your son. You will create a lifetime of good memories.

#15 ·
Considering where you posted your inquiry I assume skeet and sporting/5 stand will be the primary venues. Recoil is always an issue for new shooters weather perceived or real. The absolute BEST gun to start women and young shooters with is a 28 ***** 1100. Everything about the 28 ***** 1100 fits perfectly. Lighter, smaller size yet low recoil. While ammo is more expensive you're better off shooting 150 rounds with low recoil as apposed to 200 in a weekend. JMNSHO Ric.

#16 ·
We start our 4H shooters off with 20ga. and 12 ga. guns that the 4H owns. 20ga. Youth Model Rem 870's and one 12 ga. Rem 1187. We also have a 12 ga. O/U the older kids can shoot. We also let them shoot their own guns if they have a gun we deem appropriate for skeet.

We use light target ammo. The lighter the better until they get used to shooting and get the basics down.

Our program is real simple.

1. We teach them how to shoot
2. We introduce them to various types of shotguns and gauges
3. We let them decide which type gun they shoot best based on their performance
4. We let them and their parents make the decision on what gun and gauge to buy after they have some experience shooting..

In two years of coaching 4H shooters I've only had one shooter choose to buy a Browning O/U. The rest are content to shoot our 4H guns or their own gun. BTW the one shooter who bought his own gun was on our State 4H Shotgun Team and he bought a used Browning Citori on GunBroker for $825.

My advice is this - Introduce the kid to skeet. Let him try various guns and then let him buy the one he shoots best.

#17 ·
My daughter who is 12 just started shooting a few months ago. I bounced around several ideas but eventually decided on a O/U. I found a 20 ga browning citori with 26 inch barrels choked sk/sk. Added a nice pad with the stock cut to her LOP,added about 10 oz's in the stock then loaded 1100fps 3/4 oz loads. She tried a auto and did not like them. Personally I HATE picking hulls up so I was fine with that. She shot part of a informal tourney last weekend....she needs MORE practice. :wink:

#18 ·
cbxchris said:
My daughter who is 12 just started shooting a few months ago. I bounced around several ideas but eventually decided on a O/U. I found a 20 ga browning citori with 26 inch barrels choked sk/sk. Added a nice pad with the stock cut to her LOP,added about 10 oz's in the stock then loaded 1100fps 3/4 oz loads. She tried a auto and did not like them. Personally I HATE picking hulls up so I was fine with that. She shot part of a informal tourney last weekend....she needs MORE practice. :wink:
DAD...she needs LESSONS, she can practice after she learns how to shoot! You may not be the best person to give her lessons. Please take no offense. It's just some kids, some times do better if it is not a parent doing the instruction. I had this problem with my daughter, so I took her to another instructor. She took two lessons from him and told me he was telling her the same thing I told her...she was OK working with me after that. But, sometimes they can get a bit sensitive, they take it personal and may think you are being too critical...and you do have to be critical and you have to make corrections in order to instruct her. While shooting turned out not be my daughter's thing, the time we spent and shot together are dear to both of us...and she is proficient with a rifle, pistol, or shotgun.

You got about 6 years left with her....make 'em count!

#19 ·
My son started at 13 with a 20 gauge gas gun & low recoil shells. He has grown about a foot since then & now has a K80 12 gauge & uses normal 12 gauge skeet shells. He has a great technique now & no recoil issues & shoots about 50-100 shells a week. He's having a lesson with Todd next month which he's looking forward to. Less is definitely more - keep the recoil down & make sure you invest in good ear protection as well as a gun It bugs me when people take their kids shooting & just give them foam plugs :(
Loud bangs+ heavy shells= recoil
issues & is not fun

#20 ·
mtjim said:
My advice is this - Introduce the kid to skeet. Let him try various guns and then let him buy the one he shoots best.
Mismost said:
Please take no offense. It's just some kids, some times do better if it is not a parent doing the instruction.
kateskeet said:
keep the recoil down & make sure you invest in good ear protection as well as a gun It bugs me when people take their kids shooting & just give them foam plugs
Loud bangs+ heavy shells= recoil
issues & is not fun
Some of the best things I have read look at 1) Investing in something decent (obviously not thousands as that is not always necessary to start)

2) Letting your child have an opinion. Skeet is a privilege, so I would see that if he/she was to pick up a gun that they liked in that price range and would have it as theirs, perhaps they would work harder to use it than something your parents bought for you which they don't like

3) Sometimes parents and children don't see eye to eye on certain things, it is important for both the child and the parent to see that skeet is supposed to be enjoyable when you start and that to start the 'right' way is the best way, from there you can explore different options.

#21 ·
Great stuff written here. To go back to the original question, I personally agree with the recommendation for a 20 ga auto, believe that the Rem 1100 series gun is probably the best gun close to your price range (but you will have to up your budget a couple/few hundred, I believe), and agree with those who took some polite exception to the concept of "want him to feel a few bumps and bruises in shooting".

Besides possibly turning the child away from skeet, this approach may well begin the development of a flinch and you absolutely do not want to do this to anyone.

Respect for a firearm and safety is taught both directly and by example. All getting the kid beat up will do is get him beat up.

We are talking a young person, one who will outgrow this gun fairly quickly if the child stays with the sport, so I'm pretty sure a custom fitted stock is not in his immediate future. That's cool, but makes keeping the recoil down even more of a priority as the "felt" recoil and potential for the gun to bruise his face/shoulder will be even greater.

Finally, I completely agree with those who advocate letting someone else be the youngster's teacher. 4H, a local skeet shooter/instructor...anybody but Dad. Its like one of those very old (and yes, no longer PC) sitcoms about the pitfalls of teaching your wife to drive...right?

Best of luck. I find that young people who come to skeet are in fact taught, by the entire skeet shooting community, respect for the gun and others, safety above all else, and good sportsmanship. These young people benefit from exposure to adults much more that the children who sit in a house playing video games during a "play date" and I think the positive results show in all of the young people I have watched grow within the skeet community.

Best of luck.

#22 ·
Best of luck. I find that young people who come to skeet are in fact taught, by the entire skeet shooting community, respect for the gun and others, safety above all else, and good sportsmanship. These young people benefit from exposure to adults much more that the children who sit in a house playing video games during a "play date" and I think the positive results show in all of the young people I have watched grow within the skeet community.

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=94&t=247605&start=20#ixzz1D8jD5tJr

That is so true and well said, Baron23. Skeet can be a great teacher in the game of life....and not just breaking targets either.

#23 ·
Mismost said:
cbxchris said:
DAD...she needs LESSONS, she can practice after she learns how to shoot! You may not be the best person to give her lessons. Please take no offense. It's just some kids, some times do better if it is not a parent doing the instruction. I had this problem with my daughter, so I took her to another instructor. She took two lessons from him and told me he was telling her the same thing I told her...she was OK working with me after that. But, sometimes they can get a bit sensitive, they take it personal and may think you are being too critical...and you do have to be critical and you have to make corrections in order to instruct her. While shooting turned out not be my daughter's thing, the time we spent and shot together are dear to both of us...and she is proficient with a rifle, pistol, or shotgun.

You got about 6 years left with her....make 'em count!
She never shot with me to start with. I have a good friend who has taught/worked with many a young shooters including the current 28 ga world champ. His high school teams have won the national and state titles far to many times to count. I learned from my mistakes.. :shock:

#24 ·
Where are you located, jermphil? I have a 20 gauge semi-auto already setup for a kid (to shoot skeet) that you can borrow for a few months if the transfer isn't too complicated. Face-to-face, in-state would be perfect, but I'm not opposed to sending it someplace other than Virginia. Let me know if you are interested.

Bruce

#25 ·
I think it would have been relevant Skeetboy to add that you are 16/17 & started skeet when you were 2 or whatever you were :)

Ps Am still not shooting yet so no chance of that fiver off me for a while yet!!

#26 ·
If you buy a gun for him -- a used Remington 1100 or 11-87 auto 12 ga. would be a great choice, especially if you have access to 7/8 oz. loads. If you don't reload or can't locate such light factory loads in 12 ga., then go with a 20 ga. model.

I am now using 7/8 oz. reloads in my 12 ga. 11-87 Premier Skeet and it is the closest thing to a "recoil-less" shotgun I've ever had the pleasure of using. Very, very pleasant to shoot. Nice in my O/U guns but unbelievable in my auto.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.