Shotgun Forum banner

Rem. 870, 887 or Moss. 835??

5K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  outdoorguy44 
#1 ·
I am in the market for a new 12 gauge shotgun.
I currently own an 870 express magnum with laminate stock.
I'm looking for something synthetic and one that chambers a 3 1/2 inch shell.
Main purpose is using in wing shooting: Mostly dove, quail, pheasant, duck, and geese.
I was looking at either a Rem. Model 870 Super Magnum in Realtree Hardwoods camo, Rem. Model 887 Nitro Mag in black synthetic, or Mossberg Model 835 Ulti-mag in Realtree Max-4 camo.

I was wondering if any of you guys have had any experience with the Mossberg or the 887. I have had no problems with my 870 besides jamming with cheap ammo , but that was easily fixed by polishing the chamber.

My price limit is around $350, and my research tells me that these 3 guns are all around that price. I'm leaning towards the 887. It would be my choice hands-down if I could get the camo version for $350, but of course, it's $100 more.

What are your opinions on these and what do you think is the best choice??

Mossberg: http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Defa ... +Waterfowl

887: http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... o-mag.aspx

870: http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... -camo.aspx

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't think you can go wrong with either the Rem 870 mag or the Moss 835 UM.

My younger brother has used both of these shotguns for years and years. The Remington 870 is about worn out and he is using the 835 UltiMag nearly exclusively now for waterfowling and turkey hunting.

He used the 870 on deer and anything that flies. He handed it down to his teenage son and bought the Mossberg for himself 3 years ago. Hope this helps.

#3 ·
I'm not sure what type of quail you want to hunt, but my experiences with these types of guns (heavy 12 Gauge pumps) on quail have been 100% negative. The fast, surprise flushes and short shot windows on Western quail mean that the birds are often up, away and gone before you overcome the inertia of a big, heavy gun and even get a chance to mount it.

People do use them on passing doves, though they're not ideally matched to doves. The guys who use them seem to be waterfowlers who want some pre-season practice on passing birds, and I think they get what they want out of it, along with some fun and some doves to eat. :)

The 887 has features that understandably appeal to a serious waterfowler. However, I think it handles terribly, with really odd balance. It's no 870, that's for sure. I really prefer the Benelli plastic-shelled pumps' handling characteristics. Early 887s were really crappy, but reports here seem to indicate that Remington took care of at least the blatant problems with parts not fitting together.

The 870 in 3.5" handles pretty much like any 870, which is to say, very well for an inexpensive pump gun. If I were going to shoot doves with any of these, it would be the 870, I think.

The Mossberg has an oversized bore and heavier weight, which make it ideal for 3" to 3.5" waterfowl loads. It's really designed for the near-10 Gauge 3.5" loads, so that you can use the same gun for ducks and geese with good results. The heavy weight cuts down on felt recoil and smooths out the swing for passing shots. However, it's about the last gun I'd want to use for quail.

Definitely get your hands on these guns before deciding. They are different.

My personal recommendation would be to get a gun for upland and one for waterfowl, and choose one or the other for pheasant hunting, depending on the exact conditions. If you want to keep up your pumping skills for waterfowling (mine suck because I seldom use pumps), you can get, say, a 20 Gauge 870 and use it for upland birds, and get a duck/goose gun that's really ideal for the purpose.

Looking for a single good gun for quail to geese is almost like trying to find a rifle for prairie dogs to moose. You can probably do it, but you will have the best results if you figure out what your priorities are.

#4 ·
Very good point about not being able to have one shotgun for all those different game birds. so here's my correction.... I mostly, if not exclusively, hunt dove and duck/geese for the reasons you mention above. I haven't done too much quail and pheasant hunting. I guess my point was to say that I wanted an overall good all-purpose shotgun. Thanks for pointing that out and making that clear.

I've handled all 3 guns before. I love the feel and reliability of my 870, but of course i'm looking for something synthetic and in 3 1/2 inch chamber so the synthetic supermag will feel a bit different. I have handled a couple used 835's, but they don't feel the best in my opinion. They feel loose and cheap to me(although I was about 5 seconds from buying one a couple of months ago). and I have handled and shot my buddy's 887 and liked it. It was light but seemed like a solid shotgun. But back then, I really didn't have a good feel for guns like I do now so my opinion could have been skewed. I also like the finish and style of it and because of the fact that it supposedly won't ever rust. and I've also heard from people to always go for the Remington over the Mossberg, but that could just be their opinion.

I do have to say though that i'm partial for a Remington over a Mossberg because of Remington's track record and my experience with their guns.

#6 ·
Well...I've been reading more about the 887 and don't like what i'm hearing about it. So i think it's out.
So i guess now, it's between the 870, 835, and now maybe a good, used nova

But I'm starting to lean towards the 835 because of the little bit cheaper price and the durability i've been reading about.
I also like the Mossberg because I already have an 870, so I think something different might be refreshing.

#7 ·
Either will do you fine, but I would go with the 835. Or to throw you a curveball, since you already have an 870 that will serve you well for quail and dove and anything needing the lighter loads, our Walmart that still sells firearms has a Mossberg 935 for $417.00 if you can swing a little more on your budget. They are performing well with 3" and 3.5" loads.

#9 ·
I think as of right now, the 835 is my choice. My local walmart had a 935 and I definitely had my eye on it, but I just can't spend quite that much right now (college). But I figure I can get by with using pumps while I'm young, and I can get a semi-auto when I have the money to get a real nice one.

I'm probably going to special order an 835 with 28" barrel in Max-4 Camo because all they had at the store last week was a 26" barrel in mossy oak.

I was really unsure about a mossberg, but the more I read about 'em, the better I feel about it.

#12 ·
I own them all, so here it goes. The 835,which is what your leaning towards will do just fine. If I have a b!tch about mossberg is they seem to use cheap springs, and yes I have replaced about everyone in it. Overall its a fine gun and will outlast you with some care now and then.

870 supermag. Easiest gun to work on and clean of all three and has been the most reliable. Its very easy to find parts for but other then replacing the MIM extractor I have not had to work on it.

887. I bought it to beat up waterfowl hunting, drop in the mud, pick up and not feel bad. Its the lightest of the guns I think. Mine was bought in 2010 so it was not a first year gun. I have not had a single issue with it. I don' like the sloppy forearm slack. This is from Remington making the action bars replacable instead of built as single unit. I'd rather replace the whole forearm structure for a few more $ and not have the slop. The gun fits me the best of the three and I don't find it unbalanced.

I would not be scared of any three of them. I know the 835 and 870 will outlast anyone if they even attempt to take care of it. The 887 is to new of a design for me to make that leap yet, but I find alot stuff on the internet about it to not be true with mine.

Good luck, and enjoy whatever you purchase

#13 ·
Well...if the 870 Supermag came in a Max-4 camo for a good price, then I would probably go with it just because I know my 870 has never failed me.
But I liked the idea of owning a different shotgun so I started looking at 835s, 535s, and 887s.

I was definitely leaning towards the 887 because of the way it looked, the Remington name, and the versatility of it, but I don't like the idea of a new gun design that hasn't been tried and true for as many years as the other 2 or 3 guns.
I know a lot of people have said that the 887 are great guns, but there are still those exceptions that have problems and malfunctions.
The exact thing happened to me when I mistakenly bought an NEF Pardner Pump 12 gauge in Realtree camo. I read nothing but good things except for the occasional bashers about it, but when I got one... everytime I took it out to shoot, it malfunctioned, and is now getting fixed so I can sell it when it gets back to me.
So I guess that's the reason that the 887 was crossed off my list because I didn't want to do that again.

But I'm now partial to the Mossbergs now that i've read up about them extensively, and now I guess my decision is whether to go with an 835 or a 535 and whether I want it in camo or black synthetic.

#14 ·
I think the 835 is a fine selection. Yes, it is a bit on the heavy side, but ideal for ambush blinds on duck and turkey. I've already forgotten what you intended to use it for...I don't think a man can own enough varieties of shotguns. Treat yourself to 1 every other year is what I say.... :)

#15 ·
I used an 870 for most of my life for everything. Doves, ducks, deer, rabbits, squirrels, and whatever else I decided to hunt. I would choose an 870 for that reason.

The 835 I've encountered once and it seemed to be pretty sturdy, not sure of the reliability though. Hated the position of the safety on Mossbergs until I got a 935. Took some getting used to, but not long at all.

Thought about the 887 for a brief time until I heard about the issues they were having initially. I like the look of it and may get one one day.

#16 ·
Well....turns out that I'll only be able to afford either a black synthetic or a 535 in Max 4 camo. So let the arguments about what's better....black or camo.

So should I get the black 835 or get the 535 in Max-4. I would prefer a camo gun, but can't afford the 835 in camo so what do you guys think?

#21 ·
Well, after researching the crap out of all these guns like I usually find myself doing (I guess it's a good thing), I've decided to save up some money and wait until my tax return comes back so that I can spend a little bit more money. I think I will end up going with a new Benelli Nova in either black or camo depending on what type of deals I can find.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.