Shotgun Forum banner

magazine capacity limit?

10K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Texas_Defender 
#1 ·
Are there any laws restricting the capacity of a shotgun magazine? I realize that you wouldnt be able to fit an extention larger than your barrel, but just curious...

#2 ·
Here in Minnesota the only laws I'm aware of concerning shotgun magazine capacity relate to hunting certain birds and other waterfowl. It's explained on the Minnesota DNR site under the "Hunting and Trapping Regulations" section (http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/regulations/ ... index.html). For instance, in the "2002 Hunting Regulations" document it states:

Woodcock, Rails, and Snipe
• Duck Stamps (state or federal Migratory Waterfowl Stamps) are not required to hunt woodcock, rails, or snipe.
• Compliance with the migratory bird harvest information program is required by indicating "yes" in response to the migratory bird hunting question on the license (see page 89).
• Shotguns used to hunt these birds must not be capable of holding more than three shells, unless plugged with a one-piece filler that cannot be removed without disassembling the gun, so its total capacity does not exceed three shells.

In these cases the DNR requires that the hunter "plug" the shotgun magazine so that a maximum of three shells can be inserted. In the case of my new Remington 1100 semi-auto, Remington actually packages a plastic plug with the gun that can be installed into the magazine that will take up two shell spaces, thus only allowing a max of three inserted shells. Here's a picture of it from Remington's web site:

When I need to know about current firearms laws for any particular area of the nation I check three different areas:

Federal and individual State gun laws - NRA web site:
http://www.nra.org/frame.cfm?title=NRA% ... nraila.org
Click on the "RESEARCH" tab at the top of the page.

State DNR hunting laws - Minnesota in my case:
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/regulations/ ... index.html

#3 ·
Yes, there are laws. Thanks to the Assault Weapons Ban of 1994 (which with a little luck will sunset next year), semiauto shotguns have magazine restrictions if your shotgun is configured in certain ways so as to make it an "assault weapon". Pump shotguns can have as big a magazine capacity as you want no matter how it is configured. There's nothing out there that says the magazine length cannot protrude past your barrel. Now, when you're using your shotgun for hunting, your state's Department of Natural Resources has regulations on magazine capacity.
Hope this helps:
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=2381

#4 ·
If you have a pump shotgun, you can use the biggest magazine you can find provided you don't hunt with it.

If you have a semi-auto you can use a magazine that is as large as you can find provided you don't have a folding or pistol grip stock, the magazine is not detacheable like the Saiga, and of course your not hunting with it.

If you have a semi-auto that accepts a detacheable magazine, the magazine cannot be capable of holding more than 5 rounds I think, but don't quote me on that one.

#5 ·
Ennnnck!Check the BATF website and read .922. 10 rounds on the tubular mags as long as not too many evil features on certain models.Remember the 12 shot street sweeper(A POS)is a class3 DD.If you make say an ammunition feeding device or have in your possesion one that is postban that gives you 10+ in the magazine you have a problem.Read the paperwork that comes with a "Choate"
+5 extension for an 1100 remington.And also remember that the burden of proof is on the "citizen".These guys have a very wide berth of "Discovery".
Hopefully Congress will straighten out the rogues in the BATF and set clear guidelines.Unlikely cause they like it that way.Confusion is the friend of those that set the rules.The supreme intimidator.Thats why lawyers do so well and almost totally dominate all political office candidates.

Well Thats All from My Soapbox Tonight Folks!

G
#6 ·
Biggest clip? 30 is the largest pre 1994 ive seen.

Like others have said, the 1994 weapons ban limits alotta things
but believe you me if it goes up, the first thing i'll buy is a USAS-12 with a 30 (or more legal 10) round clip. Now thats fun!!!!
Whip that out on the skeet field :lol: Bam bam bam bam bam etc. etc.

Good luck to all!!!!
-Cryptonic

#7 ·
There's nothing out there that says the magazine length cannot protrude past your barrel.
True, but this would be a mechanical fallacy. The muzzle flash would likely cause the end of the tube to overheat, thus causing potential mechanical failure by making the spring fuse together or by making the plug melt.

the first thing i'll buy is a USAS-12 with a 30 (or more legal 10) round clip.
The USAS-12 takes 10-round mags or 20-round drums. Anything biggur than that would be unmanajably larj. I saw a USAS-12 @ Knob Creek back in October, 2000. It was super mega turbo rad to the max!! :D

G
#9 ·
Like others have said, the 1994 weapons ban limits alotta things
but believe you me if it goes up, the first thing i'll buy is a USAS-12 with a 30 (or more legal 10)
Sadly, USAS-12's aren't regulated under the 1994 Crime Bill, but are restricted by an executive directive ordered by then Secratery of the Treasury Lloyd Bensten declaring them as "destructive devices", using the logic that they weren't suitable for sporting purposes, and had a bore diamater larger than .50 cal.

If you want to buy one, you have to go through the same Class 3 process that is involved with owning a short barreled shotgun or machinegun.
$200 Tax, Fingerprints, Photographs, and Chief Law Enforcement Officer Signature.

The only catch is that being a Destructive Device, it has to be transfered to a dealer certified to receive such things, and there are only a handful in the country. Even dealers certified to handle machine gun transfers aren't summarily qualified to deal in destructive devices.
DD's are unusual in that even if you go through the red tape and get approved to have one, it's next to impossible to find a dealer to handle the transfer (assuming you aren't lucky enough to have one in your state) :( [/quote]

#11 ·
Quote:
There's nothing out there that says the magazine length cannot protrude past your barrel.

True, but this would be a mechanical fallacy. The muzzle flash would likely cause the end of the tube to overheat, thus causing potential mechanical failure by making the spring fuse --together or by making the plug melt.
===========================
I wasn't advocating looking like a dork, but if someone wants to, they can! :lol:

G
#13 ·
Hey, hoodhazard, what if I put 1 1/2 inch Aguila Mini-shells into my stock Winchester Defender (normally 8 shell capacity)?? I can then get 14 in the magazine (your mileage may vary). Does this mean I have broken the law???
(from the BATF site) The term "large capacity ammunition feeding device" is defined as a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device manufactured after September 13, 1994, that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition. Large capacity ammunition feeding devices in knockdown - disassembled) condition consisting of all parts needed to assemble a complete large capacity ammunition feeding device are subject to regulation if the parts are segregated or packaged together and held by a person as the parts for the assembly of a particular device. [18 U. S. C. 921( a)( 31)]
Note that what is in question is not the weapon, but the feeding device (which happens to be attached to a pump shotgun). Am I breaking the law because I choose to put smaller dimension shells into my magazine while someone else is not breaking the law by using the same magazine with larger dimension shells??

G
#14 ·
if i understand the law correctly, the aguila minishells is not a violation. since the gun is chambered for 2 3/4" or 3" shells, it cannot hold more than 10 of which ever it is chambered for, but if the gun will function with something smaller, the law doesn't apply with that.

it is kind of like how .22 tube fed rifles are with .22 wmr & .22 lr.

G
#15 ·
JUST BOUGHT A BENELLI M-4 SUPER 90 AND THE DEALER SOLD ME A 2 SHOT MAG EXTENTION. HE SAID THAT THEY ARE LEGAL TO SELL AND POSSESS BUT ILLEGAL TO ATTACH?? WHAT'S THE POINT THEN?? PLEASE SOMEONE DO SOMETHING THAT MAKES SENSE CONCERNING THE CRIME BILL. LAW ABIDING CITIZENS ARE BEEING PUNISHED FOR CRIMINAL'S MIS CONDUCT. ALSO THE POLICE AND LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES ARE CONCERNED THEY DON'T WANT THE PUBLIC TO BE BETTER ARMED THEN THEM WHICH IS UNDERSTANDABLE. CALI HAS WAY TOO MANT RESTRICTIONS. LET'S SEE HERE, LAW ENFORCEMENT HAVE MP5'S, M-4 CARBINES, AND ANYTHING ELSE THEY WANT FULL AUTO. I DON'T SEE THE BIG DEAL WITH HAVING A SEMI AUTO HOLD SEVEN ROUNDS. THE LA BANK ROBBERY OF 94 (WHICH I BELIEVED STARTED ALL THIS MADNESS WAS BECOUSE THE POLICE WERE ENGAGING THE ROBBERS WITH SHOTGUNS AND THE ROBBERS HAD FULL AUTO AK 47'S, NOT SHOTGUNS. THIS REALLY GET'S ME HEATED...... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

#16 ·
S.E.D.benelli said:
JUST BOUGHT A BENELLI M-4 SUPER 90 AND THE DEALER SOLD ME A 2 SHOT MAG EXTENTION. HE SAID THAT THEY ARE LEGAL TO SELL AND POSSESS BUT ILLEGAL TO ATTACH?? WHAT'S THE POINT THEN??
A semi-auto shotgun manufactured after Sept. 13 1994 can't have a fixed magazine capacity over 5 rounds and one of the following: "conspicuously protruding" pistol grip, folding stock, collapsable stock. If you have a non-pistol grip Benelli, the 2, 4 and 5 round extension on the gun are legal.

THE LA BANK ROBBERY OF 94 (WHICH I BELIEVED STARTED ALL THIS MADNESS
A bit earlier, it was actually the spree killing by Patrick Purdy at a Stockton, CA schoolyard in 1989 that really got the whole 'assault weapon' thing rolling.

#17 ·
okay you guys, its a new time for tactical and rec shotgunners alike, its 2004, ten years after the assault ban on 1994, and i JUST now heard on the news that the repubs in congress just put down the demos bill to extend the ban! yay yay who o hoo, so when are we going to see more systems like the knoxx 'sidewinder' system, but made better, for more shotgun types and models, and cheaper, ( i don't know about you guys, but I'm a 16 year old son of a farmer with no steady income, I'm lucky just to have a 870.... ) but i mean seriously, I'm really close to making my own version, seeing as how they dont have one for the 870... ( or would that be in volition of copyright? or is that only if i sell them... oh well, I'm still upset in the lack of copies...... stupid copyright laws :lol: :lol: i mean, i burn cds a lot, why cant i make my own drum mag for my 870???? lol, but anyways)..... oh yeah, if anyone is unfamiliar with the knoxx drum/box detachable mag system heres a link tot their site.... http://www.knoxx.com/NewStyleKnoxx/Prod ... Winder.htm

ha ha , no ban extension for you...... stupid democrats..... I'm sick and tired of people tacking a solution on to a problem that has almost nothing to do with the problem, just because people use gun to kill other people don't mean we should ban guns, and I'm sure if they ever did ( God forbid ) murderers would just either make guns.... duh.... or use knifes... double duh, i mean ca'mon, I'm better at knife fighting, or fighting with my broadsword than i am in a firefight position... but, thats just me........ anyways, im sure yall are tired of hearing me ramble....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.