Shotgun Forum banner

A GOOD variable-reticle reflex sight?

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  FMD 
#1 ·
Hey all, got a little pet project going with a tac shotgun. Since I'm not sure which style and size reticle I'm going to want (and may in fact change it depending on the target), I've been interested in a variable reticle sight, like this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/de ... ber=870315

Problem is, nearly all the models I've found have been from companies like Barska, BSA, etc. and have mediocre to awful reviews. I can go the route of a Burris FastFire or an Eotech, but neither afford me the flexibility I'm looking for.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

#2 ·
It would help if we knew the flexibility you were going for? An Eotech and a FastFire are in too different groups. The FastFire is a micro and even the smallest Eotech is still kind of big compared to the FastFire. I would advise you to steer clear of the lower end red dots. If you really have your heart set on a red dot pony up the money and get one that is going to hold a zero and is going to actually stand up to the abuse you are going to put it though. Inevitably there is going to be a guy come in here who is going to claim his Ncstar red dot or whatever has been bullet proof for five years and never lost zero yet. To that I say congrats. However, I will not risk my life on a cheap $50 red dot that may or may not hold up. So I will stick with the ones that I know do hold up.

Since you are wanting to put this on a shotgun, without knowing what type of shotgun it is going on I am going to suggest a light weight one. Tactical shotgun's in general suffer from a weight problem. So I tend to lean towards Aimpoint T1's. It is small, lightweight and has a battery life that will last for years. You pick up your gun and the sight is always on, always ready to go. It is a lot pricier than the Eotech or the Burris but this is a sight that IMO is much better.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=116711

My other favorite sight isn't a red dot in the traditional sense. I like this sight because it is always on and it works day or night. It is super small, light weight and very rugged. The Trijicon RMR reflex. The dot isn't really red it is more of a yellow. They also make different MOA sizes. For shotguns the 7 MOA tends to be pretty popular. Below is the 9. They make a mount for it. The sight is yellow in the day and at night works like a night sight. The advantage to this is you never need batteries. It is a set it and forget it type sight.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=468034

Trijicon also makes a battery operated version of the RMR, but I am not really well versed in them as I haven't bought one. Though all the reviews I have seen on it have been fairly good. I have always have been on the thinking if I can get the same thing without all the tech then why not. So I haven't tried one yet.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=330865

#3 ·
This is a Fastfire clone from Primary Arms. The main reason I chose this sight is because Burris doesn't offer the Fastfire in green which I prefer. It is a carbon copy with the exception of the on/off switch that Burris offers on the Fastfire. On this sight you just put the cover on which in turn covers the photo sensor putting it in a low power mode…I am not convinced it turns the dot completely off. I have it sitting in a Burris base and it fits like a glove. I have shot close to 500 various round through it for the last few months and am thrilled with it, rock solid. I have owned a shotgun with ghost rings(590 sp) and am convinced I pick this sight up faster……but ghost rings don't run out of batteries. I keep a battery and wrench with the gun. Also hard to line your eye up with it if you don't get some sort of way to rise the comb. Primary Arms has the best clones, don't know if they make them though

#4 ·
Thanks guys. To Mike Honcho- the application will be varied, but mostly busting clays. Before you say anything- I know, a weird application for a tac gun, but it's a hybrid project I've been working on for a while with this in mind. It has a long barrel, very long magazine, but set up more in a tactical style. It's more for going out and having fun than HD. I also realize optics aren't traditionally used in trap and skeet, but again, this is a fun gun project. Don't know if that helps you narrow down the choices.

The ones you showed me looked good, but are above my price point. I was looking at the $200-$500 range. I agree with you that the NCStars of the world are worthless, hence I mentioned them in my post. I just wish any other mfrs. would make one with the variety of reticles that they and BSA offer, all in one unit.

To oli700- thanks, makes my choice to go with Burris closer and closer...

Anyone else??

#5 ·
Then the Burris is probably going to be your best bet. You will have plenty left over for the mount and everything as well. I think you will find for busting clays the Eotech might "cloud" your sight picture up a little. The FastFire and Trijicon RMR sights are popular with competition shooters because they give you that quick "heads up" sight without having a massive optic sitting on top of your firearm. For the application you have in mind I really think you will be good to go with the Burris, though if you can swing it I would shop around and see if you can find a Trijicon RMR sight, I have seen them in the $500 range before.

#7 ·
No problem, good luck. One thing I did forget to hit on in my last post that I forgot to mention in reference to your quote below:

BigBrother said:
I just wish any other mfrs. would make one with the variety of reticles that they and BSA offer, all in one unit.
Typically in the sights like BSA you posted, or even ATN ultra, (which is made by the same company that makes the very pricey Elcan Specter), that have multiple reticles those sights can be hit or miss when it comes to holding a zero. This might be why you don't see to many companies producing them.

#8 ·
Mike Honcho said:
Typically in the sights like BSA you posted, or even ATN ultra, (which is made by the same company that makes the very pricey Elcan Specter), that have multiple reticles those sights can be hit or miss when it comes to holding a zero. This might be why you don't see to many companies producing them.
Please tell me I'm misunderstanding your post...

#9 ·
FMD said:
Mike Honcho said:
Please tell me I'm misunderstanding your post...
No unfortunately you didn't. :oops: My post was just grossly inaccurate. I was thinking about ATN's night vision systems and for some reason the Elcan Specter was popping into my head. Good catch. ATN does not make the Elcan Specter, it is made by Elcan..which I even said in my post.. :oops: However ATN is known for making pretty good quality night vision stuff so the point of my post still remains in my opinion true. Sorry for any confusion to the OP.

#12 ·
You won't automatically get a wide FOV with a micro reflex sight despite how it looks. The smaller the single plane, the more precise the cheekweld required. The tubes don't have the same issues.

Once you get the cheekweld, it's pretty much a wash as to what's covered. Both systems work either transparently or occluded since you use both eyes to follow and aim at the target.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.