CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: O/U Firing Pin Maintainance - With Photos
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Excellent information. The procedure also works with the Browning Superposed models.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:23 pm 

skidd041 wrote:
curly I`m using 3/4 oz 8.5 with clay buster grey wad winchester hs hulls cheddite primers 17.3 grains of promo when looking into the receiver at the pins the lower pin looks really dirty or sludgy around it just wondering if this cleaning would help it

Absolutely it will help! If it is not a fairly new gun, you would do well to get a new lower firing pin as Browning has made the effective length longer. New hammer springs are in order also. But only if the gun is older.
J & P makes a complete kit that includes all you need. DL Marcum has used a lot of thier springs and really like them. I trust his opinions on that without question.
HERE, this is the link!

Otherwise, if you only clean the works inside, you may want to move away from AAHS hulls because I have found great variability in the rim length. This has an adverse effect on the reliability of your shells because it increases the headspace effectively. Combine this with the short firing pin and you have your problem. It may not appear as often with WW primers due to the ease of lighting them off.

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

ok thanks curly I`m going to clean them and I`m sure to buy new pins and springs and yes it is an older gun is just the lower pin needed or should I buy an upper or are they the same

one more thing the link you posted doesn`t list cynergy are the pins the same

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:26 pm 

skidd041 wrote:
one more thing the link you posted doesn`t list cynergy are the pins the same

While the trouble with lower barrels does occur with the AAHS hulls in the Cynergy, that cleaning procedure does not apply to the Cynergy and No those parts are not the same as the Cynergy.

Look at this pdf file at this link to see parts for Brownings. It is a 14MB file so will take a while to download
Browning Gun Parts Price list LINK
You can compare part #'s to verify that they are different, I have not done that. I have been inside both types of gun though.

This is the link for the parts order form.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

Does anyone know what the new firing pin lengths should be?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:50 am 

Old=1.192"
New = 1.212" and it is all on the back end from the retaining pin groove to the hammer strike surface

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:22 am 
Tournament Grade

Thank You.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

I had a problem with my 20gaAA reloads in my lower barrel FTF which I found the hulls were dished in during the primer seating.

I had already cleaned the pin channels and installed Wolff springs, but to no avail, kept having many FTF in bottom barrel only.

Bought new firing pins, still did not fix it.

Started doing some measurments.
With the hammers lowered
Upper pin protrusion was .047"
Lower pin protrusion was .037

Max pin protrusion is .070" as per my gunsmith manual for Browning Citori's

New lower pin was same length, so no good to me.
So I welded a small bead to the end where the hammer strikes it and machined it at the right angle and length so that now my lower pin protrusion is .066".

My new upper protrudes .052"(but the upper has never been an issue).

Since this modification to the lower firing pin, I have yet to have a FTF since.(I have loaded that same batch of 100 20ga WW's 10 times with no problems)

I have also since switched from Win 209's to Fio 616's(still no problems).

I totally believe that this is the Browning lower barrel FTF cure.
It masks the heads space tolerances, the dished reloads, tube sets that may sink a little deeper into the barrels and etc...

For what it's worth.
JMHO

"I posted this back in 2008 and it was the cure of the lower citori barrel FTF.
If you read the first part of W. Woods intro at the beginning, it was me that he was refering to with the high shell count and FTF's."

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=145883&p=1182061#p1182061#ixzz145dv5fiK

NSSA#169094
One bird at a time...

NRA 2700 Bullseye
2568 club : )
Distinguished revolver badge #99
EIC Service Pistol = 30 pts(need a hard leg)
10's and X's...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

I installed the J&P spring and firing pin kit a couple weeks ago. This is a new 525 Field.
Protrusion is .020" more and the dents in the fired primers are CONSIDERABLY DEEPER.
I can even notice the faster lock time with their chrome silicone extra power springs.
The new top lever spring was a B!#@ch to get installed.
Not one FTF with any type hull/primer combination.
I believe this to be the best improvement to a Browning I have ever come across.
Thanks to Curly for the link to J&P.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:47 pm 
Utility Grade

I am a couple years late to the party, but thanks for the great post and specifics. My Citori went 12 years without an internal cleaning, then misfired on a rooster with Fiocchi Golden Pheasant in the bottom barrel. Anyhoo, thanks for detailed info and photos. Ten minutes and $9 in parts, we are back in the game.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm 
Utility Grade

His ther a special thecknique to remove the BIG screw that hold the stock on my
Citori never ondone 1982 old

I also like to change the extractor spring so it dose not trow the empties how long should be this sprigns.Can I make them out of stanless wire.

Tancks

Pierre

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

Excellent post. I just bookmarked it so I can find it again in due time. Do you shoot at Rio? I noticed you are from Fountain Hills. I am from Chandler and shoot Rio every weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:01 am 
Tournament Grade

Most interesting. But must point out that the Browning/ Miroku guns must be one of the simplest on which to change the pins .Plus the fact you can source factory made replacements easily. Other guns are not so easy to do so . They involve a much greater degree of dissassembly ,some have to be virtualy stripped down to remove the pins ,though these are the aception. Some guns replacements strikers need to be fitted and dressed. Eg. AyA strikers for boxlock go straight in but the sidelock strikers need to be cut to length at both the nose and back ends.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:04 am 
Tournament Grade

They are basicaly the same gun mechanicaly so yes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:59 pm 
Utility Grade

I bought my Citori in 1993 and have shot close to 50,000 rounds in it. The bottom firing pin which gets about 80 percent of the use has stopped striking about 3-4 rounds each 25. This is a wonderful piece of info to find. Thanks to William for this very helpful post.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:04 pm 
Utility Grade

Ok, I recently inherited a Winchester 101, manufactured in 1966 (I believe). I noticed that the bottom pin did not sound as if it was striking properly, just clicked. Top sounds as if it is striking properly. (no I have not shot any rounds through it yet). I disassembled down to the action assembly and it was a royal mess! I soaked the whole action in break free and let sit overnight. Is this going to be the same procedure for removing the firing pins?? Really want to get them out and clean and check condition. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:25 pm 
Field Grade

Can anyone guide me in taking the trigger assembly out and removing the bottom plate of the reciever? Pictures would be great as I am a visual learner!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:06 am 
Presentation Grade

When you say that the lower firing pin should protrude .067" into the breach, how is that determined? Do I need to disassembe the breach, remove the lower pin and spring, and then push the clean pin in as far as it will go or do I simply remove the barrel, fire the lower barrel, and take a measurement?

The reason I ask is I have a three month old XS Skeet, with less than 2,000 shells through it, and out of the last two hundred rounds it has had one FTF due to a very light strike in the under barrel. Both were reloads using W209 primers. All the rest of the 2,000, of which 1,000 were reloads with W209 primers, 500 were new Win AAs, and 500 were Gun Clubs fired without incident.

So far I have removed the lower pin, which was clean, and replaced it as per the above excellent tutorial. I still got the one FTF with a lite strike out of 4 boxes. All other primers have nice deep firing pin dimples.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:15 am 
Presentation Grade

Caribou wrote:
His ther a special thecknique to remove the BIG screw that hold the stock on my
Citori never ondone 1982 old

I also like to change the extractor spring so it dose not trow the empties how long should be this sprigns.Can I make them out of stanless wire.

Tancks

Pierre

Take a look at this from Rastoff re swapping the ejector springs for 1911 springs. viewtopic.php?t=145108

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:52 am 

TheKlawMan wrote:
When you say that the lower firing pin should protrude .067" into the breach, how is that determined? Do I need to disassembe the breach, remove the lower pin and spring, and then push the clean pin in as far as it will go or do I simply remove the barrel, fire the lower barrel, and take a measurement?

The reason I ask is I have a three month old XS Skeet, with less than 2,000 shells through it, and out of the last two hundred rounds it has had one FTF due to a very light strike in the under barrel. Both were reloads using W209 primers. All the rest of the 2,000, of which 1,000 were reloads with W209 primers, 500 were new Win AAs, and 500 were Gun Clubs fired without incident.

So far I have removed the lower pin, which was clean, and replaced it as per the above excellent tutorial. I still got the one FTF with a lite strike out of 4 boxes. All other primers have nice deep firing pin dimples.

If you are getting a failure to fire with a WW209 in a WWAA-HS hull, it is probably due to their failure to maintain proper rim thickness. I found a bunch of them that were way out of spec, on the thin side. This makes it hard for the firing pin to get to the strike surface on the primer. It happens way too often on a Citori, even one with the new longer firing pin.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next