CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stoeger Uplander
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:23 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey guys, I have been wanting to buy a 12ga double barrel SxS for a while now and I was just looking for some opinions on a Stoeger Uplander that I have found at a local hunting store for 320$. I was previously looking at a Spartan for the same price, but I don’t know which is a better gun for the same price. I have a Spartan now that I like, but it was 90 bucks, but to spend 300$ is a big investment (for me anyways) and I want to get the best gun for the cash. Thanks.

Spartan Single shot 20ga 28-in.
Winchester Ranger 1300 20ga 26-in.
Stoeger Uplander 12ga SxS 26-in.

Post subject: Re: Stoeger Uplander
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:18 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

I won an Uplander at a Du dinner and gave it to a friend's kid. He is hunting it now and it has worked out well for him. Just remember that $300 does not buy much of a shotgun,especially a SxS.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:07 am 
Presentation Grade

I have a Stoeger thats about 10 years old. Nice gun, pretty nice wood.

The newer ones are functional but not as nice. The wood can be pretty crappy. I just saw one at Dicks and it was full of sanding marks. not light ones but deep gouges. This was brand new and the kid behind the counter said what nice wood it was. I had to laugh at him.

If you dont mind the wood or take your time to shop for a good piece, then they are good guns.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

I bought a 20 gauge Uplander about a month ago. I've put about 375 rounds through it. So far so good.

I got a good deal on it because of a flaw in the wood. No big deal to me, and the price was right.

The only real concern I had was if the point of impact would be the same for both barrels. It isn't. The left barrel is dead on but the right barrel shoots a bit to the left. My understanding is this is common on double barrels (SxS and O/U) in the lower price ranges.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:54 pm 
Limited Edition

I purchased an Uplander Special in 12 gauge back in June.

IMO, the wood is very nice, but I made it better with a lot of 0000 steel wool and boiled linseed oil treatment. Since it is an oiled stock, you can go this route with a Stoeger SxS. The checkering is attractive and functional.

The receiver has speckles, small spots that detract from the appearance in a minor way. The barrels are near perfect.

I've put about 500 shells through my "UpSpeck" and it performs well. It carries well in the field, and I do hit with it, although it doesn't fit me as well as I would like, due to my left-handedness. For this reason, I'm considering having the stock bent to a more "cast-on" alignment.

Overall, The Stoeger looks better than any other import in the below $500. price range, and is worthy of consideration.

As a bonus, your money will stay in the Western Hemisphere. :lol:

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

soreshoulder wrote:
IMO, the wood is very nice, but I made it better with a lot of 0000 steel wool and boiled linseed oil treatment. Since it is an oiled stock, you can go this route with a Stoeger SxS. The checkering is attractive and functional.

I've seen some really nice looking wood on some Stoegers. Mine has a couple of knots, and there's a repaired crack at the toe of the stock. The stain they used is streaked and blotchy but the grain is actually pretty nice. I might reoil it this winter, but for now I'm too busy using it to care. :D

Conversely, the metal work on my particular sample is very good. The bluing is even and well polished. There is one minor file mark, but other than that the metal work is blemish free.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:20 pm 
Utility Grade

Thx for the advice guys, the more I have researched the Uplander, the more I am beginning to think that it is the right gun for me. I plan on using the gun a lot, I generally try to shoot at least once a day, so I want a gun that will hold up, yet not cost me a fortune. Even though I shoot a lot, I never abuse my guns and I clean them after every shooting. So it looks like I will be taking a trip to purchase it tomorrow(Goodbye paycheck, hello broke) and I will post my impressions of it on here after I shoot it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:41 pm 
Utility Grade

Well I bought the gun today, and I’m really happy with it. I had to clean out all the packing grease before I could shoot it, but once I did, man did I have some fun. I love the way the SxS handles and feels, I can’t wait for squirrel season to get here. It looks really good now that I got some gun oil on it, it polishes up well and looks a lot better now than it did in the store. Well just wanted to say thx to all that have posted and hope to get some more advice on my next purchase when the time comes. :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:15 pm 
I have 4 Stoeger shotguns. One is a 12 ga Coach Gun for Cowboy Shooting and it seems to be the most popular gun for this purpose at every SASS event that I've been to. One is a 20 ga. Uplander I use for quail and chuckar.....never a lick of trouble and comfortable to carry in the field all day. One is a Condor Supreme 12 ga. I use for pheasant and occasional trap/skeet. I just bought my 4th Stoeger and pick it up next Monday....it's a 12 ga Model 2000 in Timber camo. that I plan to use for turkey. I also have a Remington, Browning, Benelli and a Ruger Red Lable shotgun but I seem to always take the Stoegers out of the safe when I head out hunting.

Good guns at a great price and I guarantee you I bring home as much game with them as I would with any expensive gun.

Post subject: re: Stoeger Uplander
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:35 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a 12 guage stoeger side by side. I recomend nothing else, except not to pull both triggers at same time with 3 inch mag slugs. OUCH :evil:

Post subject: re: Stoeger Uplander
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:31 pm 
Limited Edition

Both of the ones I owned ended up going back to Stoeger 2x each before they sent me new ones, over 3 yrs time.
Mine failed right out of the box... neither made it to 15 shots before failing to fire, so needless to say I wont ever buy another Stoeger firearm.
I liked the fit and feel, price & looks of the Uplanders for what I wanted to use them for but was very dissapointed when my guns didn't perform as one would expect. I am happy for those who do have ones that perform as they should.