CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Nice Shot Inc.

Post subject: Smallest shot size for canadas
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

I was thinking of 5 shot because of the range only 30 yards at max also I will be able to shoot pheasants without ripping them to shreds. What choke can you recomend?

Post subject: Re: Smallest shot size for canadas
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:02 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

http://store.fastcommerce.com/niceshot/nice-shot-goose-load-ff80818129851ce7012a881c527e13ab-p.html

The Nice Shot "Goose Load" (cleverly titled the "Nice Shot Goose Load" is 1-3/8 oz. of #2).

As with everything, you have to pattern your own gun to determine the best choke. As a generalization you choke it like lead if perhaps one notch less constriction.

http://randywakeman.com

Post subject: Smallest shot size for canadas
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

Where I the fun in that? I wanna load my own.

Luke95

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:29 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

http://randywakeman.com/Nice_Shot_Reloading_Data_12_Gauge.htm is the loading data from Precision thus far.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:28 am 
Diamond Grade

Thank you sir. What P.H. choke are you using, how many points of constriction?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:15 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Same answer as before and always:
As with everything, you have to pattern your own gun to determine the best choke.

I well understand it isn't the answer most wanted-- but your own results, out of your individual gun, are the only ones that really count.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:52 pm 
Diamond Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Same answer as before and always:
As with everything, you have to pattern your own gun to determine the best choke.

I well understand it isn't the answer most wanted-- but your own results, out of your individual gun, are the only ones that really count.

I plan to try my Sk.1 I.C. Mod. and IM. But i was wondering what a trulock spokes person would advice. George Trulock did not have any experience with this load this is a part of the email he sent me.
Quote:
Sir,
Sorry but I do not. I have never patterned this shot. If it is standard tungsten alloy shot it should work OK in the I Mod.
We have had no problem with tungsten loads in full chokes. Keep in mind the largest tungsten shot we have tested is # 2
George Trulock

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:59 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Let me ask a few questions, Luke. What do you use for reloading equipment and how long have you been reloading? What reloads so far have given you what you feel are the best patterns, at what ranges, and with what chokes in what guns? How many Canadian geese have you taken before, with what shells and chokes, and what were the results?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

I am starting to reload with the help of my uncle. I am using a Dillan progressive reloader, my best patterning reloads were AA copies with 8 shot @ 25 yards threw my uncles fixed choked 1100. I have not tried the A5 with the interchangeable chokes. I have not hunted geese yet and am prepping or next season.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:56 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

See the Nice Shot home page: http://www.niceshotinc.com/.

The whole idea behind Nice Shot was and is essentially a lead substitute, easy on barrels, forcing cones, and chokes alike. It is designed to be selected and used just as you would lead. Unlike other composite shot types, it is available for the home reloader. I'm not a Trulock "spokesperson" nor am I a Nice Shot "spokesperson."

I have met Dan, however, and I understand how and why this product came into being-- it is about time. Steel shot, supposedly "safe" had no problems destroying one of Dan's doubles. #2 lead was always very good medicine for geese and that's what I'd look at.

In future testing and reviewing, yes-- I'm going to pattern Nice Shot as a matter of course. It is an ongoing project, not a standalone. Aside from the new guns (Fausti 20 O/U, Maxus Sporting Clay, etc., etc.) I'll also pattern Nice Shot through A-5 Sweet Sixteens and A-5 20 Mags. The only Nice Shot reloading I'm planning to do at the present is #4 Nice Shot, ideal for ducks and pheasants. I also my own ideas on loads, but those won't be fired much less published until after they are properly laboratory pressure-tested.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:14 pm 
Diamond Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
See the Nice Shot home page: http://www.niceshotinc.com/.

The whole idea behind Nice Shot was and is essentially a lead substitute, easy on barrels, forcing cones, and chokes alike. It is designed to be selected and used just as you would lead. Unlike other composite shot types, it is available for the home reloader. I'm not a Trulock "spokesperson" nor am I a Nice Shot "spokesperson."

I have met Dan, however, and I understand how and why this product came into being-- it is about time. Steel shot, supposedly "safe" had no problems destroying one of Dan's doubles. #2 lead was always very good medicine for geese and that's what I'd look at.

In future testing and reviewing, yes-- I'm going to pattern Nice Shot as a matter of course. It is an ongoing project, not a standalone. Aside from the new guns (Fausti 20 O/U, Maxus Sporting Clay, etc., etc.) I'll also pattern Nice Shot through A-5 Sweet Sixteens and A-5 20 Mags. The only Nice Shot reloading I'm planning to do at the present is #4 Nice Shot, ideal for ducks and pheasants. I also my own ideas on loads, but those won't be fired much less published until after they are properly laboratory pressure-tested.

Please do, cant wait to see the outcome.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:14 am 
Crown Grade

#2 for over 35 yards
#4 for decoys

that was the advice for a lead load on canadas. as NS is a like lead load, then i`ll be aiming for this.
for decoy 36grams, or 1,1/4oz #4 and for the other load 1,1/2oz both loads i will sort out to be sub 1250fps.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

#5 will work for close decoying geese. I watched my one friend take them with #5 out of his 20 gauge, although he did hit them in the head and neck area. #5 would be too small for body shooting a fully winterized Canada goose.
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:52 am 
Diamond Grade

I used both 2's and 4's behind 80 grains of FFG in brass cases with fibre wads last year with great success. The shot charge was the same scoop used for the 80 grains, IIRC it's about
1 1/16 oz.
I decoy my birds, but one was taken quartering away at about 35/40 yards.
swing on the head and all is good with the World! :mrgreen:
the gun is a Westley Richards side lock, and I will certainly be using it again , it's nice to be able to get the old guns out for ducks and geese!! :s
Davide

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks Davide!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:42 am 
Presentation Grade

You guys have obvously never hunted geese in Canada. They look at you really funny if you talk about shooting "Canadas". They are called dark geese.

When I used to shoot them up there, I used 1 1/4 lead at 1330 FPS in number 5's. I would guess since this was the start of the migration, they did not quite have the full winter feathers on them yet. When I shot them further down in South Dakota, we used BB steele. The 5 lead killed them much better.

The trick to hunting geese is realizing they fly really fast even though they look like they are barely going and you have to get way out in front of the bird. If I hunt geese this year, I will order some #2's to shoot them with.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

[quote="SDGordonsetter"]You guys have obvously never hunted geese in Canada. They look at you really funny if you talk about shooting "Canadas". They are called dark geese.

When I used to shoot them up there, I used 1 1/4 lead at 1330 FPS in number 5's. I would guess since this was the start of the migration, they did not quite have the full winter feathers on them yet. When I shot them further down in South Dakota, we used BB steele. The 5 lead killed them much better.

The trick to hunting geese is realizing they fly really fast even though they look like they are barely going and you have to get way out in front of the bird. If I hunt geese this year, I will order some #2's to shoot them with.[/quote]

Uh, I AM from Canada!
The only time we call Canadas dark geese is when we are talking about snows and Canadas
in the same conversation.

I actually shot a few ducks this fall with my 28 gauge loaded with #4 Nice shot while we were hunting pheasants. :D
I always keep a few on hand because we hunt a lot of wet ground and jump ducks often....
Davide