CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: .308 Win vs .30-06 Which to buy and WHY?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:52 pm 
Tournament Grade
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:12 pm
Posts: 201
Location: Huntersville, NC
I am in the market for a new higher power rifle. I have narrowed down my selection to a .308 Win or a .30-06 Springfield.
My reasoning for these two are: Most of my hunting will be for medium "large game" (Deer, boar, etc) I am also hoping to do a true N. America big game hunt of Elk or moose. Also coyote will be on the list.
The other reason that I like these is that if I ever get somewhere that I forgot my ammo (I know myself) I should be able to find a box of one of these at the local 5 and dime vs say trying to find 300WSM or 300 Ultra Mag (the other two I would like)

I am not as experienced with a rifle as I am with a scatter gun. I am looking for why I should choose one over the other. Flatter shooting, better factory loads, recoil, etc. I really don't care that it is the one you like as I will find the next person that likes the other. I need facts and reasons that I should or shouldn't get one.

I am pretty well set on getting a Savage Weather Warrior or Browning A-bolt. I like the savage but love the browning.

thanks in advance!

_________________
Always looking for a good place to bird hunt in NC


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: .308 Win vs .30-06 Which to buy and WHY?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:11 pm 
Utility Grade
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:47 pm
Posts: 10
i own a 30-06 and a 308 personally in my opinion if your looking into shooting bigger game down the road i would get the 30-06 or the 25-06 is a nice all around gun but ammo for the 25-06 isnt that easy to come by i love the 30-06 for whitetail not extreme damage to the meat and with proper placement hes not running and it still has the power to take out an elk at good range but then again this is just one mans opinion


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: .308 Win vs .30-06 Which to buy and WHY?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:46 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 13926
Location: Plainfield, IL
spydermn wrote:
I need facts and reasons that I should or shouldn't get one.



There is zero difference between the two cartridges in any practical hunting sense. None, nodda, zip.

So, you just get the rifle you want. The .308 is a short action, of course, the .30-06 a long action.

_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: .308 Win vs .30-06 Which to buy and WHY?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:52 am 
Tournament Grade
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:12 pm
Posts: 201
Location: Huntersville, NC
Randy:
This is what I thought for the most part. I have heard that the .308 is a little flatter shooting vs the 30-06. but other than that they are so close it comes down to gun preference

_________________
Always looking for a good place to bird hunt in NC


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: .308 Win vs .30-06 Which to buy and WHY?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:57 am 
Presentation Grade
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:36 pm
Posts: 616
Location: California Gold Country
To my way of thinking if you are hunting you carry it more than you shot it, so my choice would be a lighter .308. Learn to shoot it and I'll bet an elk will never know the difference with a well placed 165gr bullet at a reasonable range.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: .308 Win vs .30-06 Which to buy and WHY?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:45 am 
Presentation Grade
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:07 pm
Posts: 844
Location: The Great State of Texas
It will come down to personal choice. I own both. Randy stated there is zero difference between the two cartridges in hunting situations. I disagree. The ammo selection for the 30-06 is much greater than the .308 making it far more versatile in the hunting world. For punching holes in paper it really doesn't matter. My .308 actually shoots better groups than the 30-06 but in the hunting world sub zero groups mean nothing.

Back in the mid 70's General Motors tried to tell us that there was no difference between the small block 350 and the new and improved 305. The 305 looked the same sitting in the engine compartment and was often sold as a 350 in the used world. For daily driving there was no difference other than gas mileage, however when pushed to the limits the 305 was not the same as a 350 in performance. In the hot rod world no one wanted a 305 when a 350 was available, and that was because of its versatility.

Thats how I feel about a 30-06 vs. a .308. The 30-06 is the Chevy 350 and the .308 is the 305. The .308 will get the job done but its just not as fun as the 30-06. You can do things with a 30-06 that you just can't do with a .308 and 220 grain ammo is one of them.

I can tell you this, if I had to choose one shotgun and one rifle from my safe it would be the 12 gauge over a 20 gauge and a 30-06 over the .308. When hit properly does a Whitetail know the difference between a .308 and 30-06? Absolutely not. When you get stopped for speeding 10 mph over the limit, does the LEO know whether you are driving a 350 or a 305? Of course not.

However, if I am gonna get a speeding ticket I would rather be driving a 350 instead of a 305 anyday. 8) 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: .308 Win vs .30-06 Which to buy and WHY?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:28 am
Posts: 1215
Location: wyoming
Stroker wrote:
It will come down to personal choice. I own both. Randy stated there is zero difference between the two cartridges in hunting situations. I disagree. The ammo selection for the 30-06 is much greater than the .308 making it far more versatile in the hunting world. For punching holes in paper it really doesn't matter. My .308 actually shoots better groups than the 30-06 but in the hunting world sub zero groups mean nothing.

Back in the mid 70's General Motors tried to tell us that there was no difference between the small block 350 and the new and improved 305. The 305 looked the same sitting in the engine compartment and was often sold as a 350 in the used world. For daily driving there was no difference other than gas mileage, however when pushed to the limits the 305 was not the same as a 350 in performance. In the hot rod world no one wanted a 305 when a 350 was available, and that was because of its versatility.

Thats how I feel about a 30-06 vs. a .308. The 30-06 is the Chevy 350 and the .308 is the 305. The .308 will get the job done but its just not as fun as the 30-06. You can do things with a 30-06 that you just can't do with a .308 and 220 grain ammo is one of them.

I can tell you this, if I had to choose one shotgun and one rifle from my safe it would be the 12 gauge over a 20 gauge and a 30-06 over the .308. When hit properly does a Whitetail know the difference between a .308 and 30-06? Absolutely not. When you get stopped for speeding 10 mph over the limit, does the LEO know whether you are driving a 350 or a 305? Of course not.

However, if I am gonna get a speeding ticket I would rather be driving a 350 instead of a 305 anyday. 8) 8)


I found something I can agree with right down to the 350 Chevy. {hs#


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: .308 Win vs .30-06 Which to buy and WHY?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:48 am 
Limited Edition

Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:58 pm
Posts: 436
spydermn wrote:
Randy:
This is what I thought for the most part. I have heard that the .308 is a little flatter shooting vs the 30-06. but other than that they are so close it comes down to gun preference


The 308 and the 30-06 shoot exactly the same bullets. The 30-06 shoots them about 100 fps faster. Given that I don't see how the 308 could possibly be "a little flatter shooting".

It does all boil down to short action rifle vs. long action rifle.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: .308 Win vs .30-06 Which to buy and WHY?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:10 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 13926
Location: Plainfield, IL
spydermn wrote:
I am in the market for a new higher power rifle. I have narrowed down my selection to a .308 Win or a .30-06 Springfield.
My reasoning for these two are: Most of my hunting will be for medium "large game" (Deer, boar, etc) I am also hoping to do a true N. America big game hunt of Elk or moose. Also coyote will be on the list.
The other reason that I like these is that if I ever get somewhere that I forgot my ammo (I know myself) I should be able to find a box of one of these at the local 5 and dime vs say trying to find 300WSM or 300 Ultra Mag (the other two I would like)

I am not as experienced with a rifle as I am with a scatter gun. I am looking for why I should choose one over the other. Flatter shooting, better factory loads, recoil, etc. I really don't care that it is the one you like as I will find the next person that likes the other. I need facts and reasons that I should or shouldn't get one.



I'm going to attempt the "facts and reasons" part. Both the .30-06 and .308 are common and are fine for anything you're likely to hunt. I would get neither, though I have owned dozens of each.

My two favorite hunting cartridges are the 7mm-08 and the .270 Winchester. They also can be used for everything you likely are ever going to hunt. The last moose I took was with a .270. Both can be flatter shooting and / or softer shooting than their parent cartridges, the 7mm-08 a .308 necked down to 7mm and the .270 a necked down version of the .30-06.

While the notion that a .30-06 is more common or has more loads than a .308 is a silly one, the .270 is more common than the 7mm-08 though the 7mm-08 can hardly be considered rare or a wildcat.

Beyond that it is the same dreary, hoary old LA vs SA discussion.

_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: .308 Win vs .30-06 Which to buy and WHY?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:19 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:00 pm
Posts: 12177
Location: Lawson Mo
Gotta agree with randy. 06 holds a slight ballistic edge over 308, but the 270 shoots flatter with less recoil and unless you're shooting charging grizzly bears, will do the job on anything in north america.

_________________
Durring times of universal deceit, speaking the truth becomes a revolutionary act. ---George Orwell

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: .308 Win vs .30-06 Which to buy and WHY?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:37 pm 
Presentation Grade
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:36 pm
Posts: 616
Location: California Gold Country
I have to agree with the less than .30 cal group. My limited research showed me a 7mm bullet is doing what a .30 cal bullet is doing at about 200yds+/-. To elaborate that's comparable weight bullets. (140gr 7mm-150gr..30) The 7mm comming out of a 7X57 Mau. the .30 from a 30-06. Bullistic coeffiecient and sectional density make the difference and it seems to me some 7mm bullets fly like they have motors. The larger case capacity of the 7X57 make it desirable if you plan to reload and shot it in a stronger rifle. With factory ammo A short action 7-08 would be my choice for a light weight hunting rifle. If you think you need 200 or 220gr. bullets and availability is an issue then go with the .30. That's just my opinion and as we all know opinions are like arm pits. Every body has them and everyone thinks the other guys STINK!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: .308 Win vs .30-06 Which to buy and WHY?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:42 pm 
Field Grade
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:45 pm
Posts: 91
Well I'll throw my two cents in. When red dawn happens why not have a nato round. .308 all the way. By the way, only past 165gr bullets does the 30-06 have an advantage due to case size and neck length. But remember the red dawn fact..

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: .308 Win vs .30-06 Which to buy and WHY?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:03 pm
Posts: 195
Location: Jacksonville, FL
I prefer the 30-06 because of the greater versatility with heavier bullets, especially the 200 and 220 grain bullets. These latter two bullets are the true choices for large game such as elk and moose, and dangerous game such as wild boar and bears. In the case of bears, it is the round of last resort, but likely the only one you are carrying with you on a hunt.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: .308 Win vs .30-06 Which to buy and WHY?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:33 am 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:56 am
Posts: 824
Typical American logic of bigger is better, LOL.

Truth be told unless you are hunting hogs or bear, the .223/5.56mm NATO will take anything in north America. Works on the Taliban too.

slomo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: .308 Win vs .30-06 Which to buy and WHY?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:47 pm
Posts: 9323
Location: Coastal NC
In my part of the world, the Green Swamps of NC and the Waccamaw River Lowlands, our biggest game is black bear and some pretty big whitetail deer. Most of us use the 270 and are satisfied with it. My son uses a 7mm-08 and loves it. A lot of the old timers use a 30-30 or a 35 lever acton and bag their share of deer and black bear. If that critter is within 200 yards, those old guys will take home the meat.

I seldom take shots over 200 yards but one of my sons often takes up to a 500 yard shot and is deadly with a 270. I can't even see them at 500 yards.

_________________
Evan

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: .308 Win vs .30-06 Which to buy and WHY?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:30 am 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:03 pm
Posts: 195
Location: Jacksonville, FL
The beauty of the plethora of hunting calibers is the allowance for personal choice. My choice is the 30-06 Springfield for the reasons I have stated in a previous post.

However, the OP stated that the choice is between a 308 and 30-06. In bullets of 125-165 grains, there are primarily interchangeable ballistics traits. The .30-06 enjoys slightly superior ballistics with 180 grain bullets, and pulls away with the 200 to 220 grain bullets.

The individual that stated the typical American choice of "bigger is better" I think may have an inaccurate opinion of many Americans. If his opinion were true, I would hunt everything with a .600 Nitro Express or a .577 Tyrannosaur.

Also, the statement of a 223 for hogs is irresponsible, IMO. I have never used anything less than a .30 caliber for these dangerous critters, except for when I had to finish one off with my KaBar.

ST762


Last edited by SwampThing762 on Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: .308 Win vs .30-06 Which to buy and WHY?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:23 pm 
Presentation Grade
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:07 pm
Posts: 844
Location: The Great State of Texas
SwampThing762 wrote:
The beauty of the plethora of hunting calibers is the allowance for personal choice. My choice is the 30-06 Springfield for the reasons I have stated in a previous post.

However, the OP stated that the choice is between a 308 and 30-06. In bullets of 125-165 grains, there and primarily interchangeable ballistics traits. The .30-06 enjoys slightly superior ballistics with 180 grain bullets, and pulls away with the 200 to 220 grain bullets.

The individual that stated the typical American choice of "bigger is better" I think may have an inaccurate opinion of many Americans. If his opinion were true, I would hunt everything with a .600 Nitro Express or a .577 Tyrannosaur.

Also, the statement of a 223 for hogs is irresponsible, IMO. I have never used anything less than a .30 caliber for these dangerous critters, except for when I had to finish one off with my KaBar.

ST762


Well stated, I learned long ago on other rifle hunting forums not to even try to debate with the guys who use light varmint calibers for big game. To say a .223 is suitable for anything other than dangerous game is silly and as you posted, irresponsible.

Its like saying a .410 makes for a perfect goose gun.


OutdoorHub Mobile, via IPhone the information engine combo of the outdoors.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: .308 Win vs .30-06 Which to buy and WHY?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:11 pm 
Utility Grade
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:21 pm
Posts: 11
Location: VANCOUVER ISLAND B.C.
Do you like your BUD ( if you drink) in a can or a long neck bottle???? same choice. i like the ,06 because i can shoot 220- grainers and i have had my model 70 since the mid 60,s the 06, was the rifle to carry in alaska, back when i was a youngster. with 165 and 180 grainers i personally have never noticed any difference. i do handload. living on vancouver island, i hunt island blackbear in spring and fall. got an honest 6footer this past sunday. 273 laser measured shot. i had my .300 win mag with 180 gr. nosler partitions.. neck shot from tree stump rest. bear dropped and never moved.had i shot my .30-06 with 180 partition(also with vx2 scope) outcome would have been exactly the same. bullet placement and lots of practice. i shoot several times a week AND USE THE SAME LOADS that i hunt with. p.s. took that longish shot because i had no more cover.neck shot because i had heavy timber on mountain behind bear and i don,t do MOUNTAIN GOATing ANY MORE.i would have had a clean miss or hit. good luck


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: .308 Win vs .30-06 Which to buy and WHY?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:47 pm
Posts: 9323
Location: Coastal NC
Stoker, lots of guys in my hunting club do stand hunting with a .223 for deer and it does work out to 200 yards. Though I prefer a .270 and have used one most of my life, I might buy a .308 for deer, hogs, and black bear. I sold my Ruger Mini-14 when I cleaned out my safe last year. I used it for coyote and it was superb. My farm (240+ acres) is loaded with deer and coyotes. Our hunting club (8,000 acres of paradise) has just about any critter that is found in the Southern states. The 70 or so members use a variety of calibers and swear by them. Their caliber is better than mine or anyone else's. :D

_________________
Evan

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: .308 Win vs .30-06 Which to buy and WHY?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:03 pm
Posts: 195
Location: Jacksonville, FL
308 and 30-06, the same as chocolate or vanilla ice cream. both are desirable, and each has a following. i chose the 30-06 because it will accomplish any 308 task, with equal or slightly better, alacrity; also, the 30-06 really shines with bullets of 200, 220, and 250 grains. the 30-06 is the equal of any critter that walks the NA continent, even the great bears (use Woodleigh FMJ bullets in your 30-06 here).

ST762


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: 737Mech, B.C. Boy, Beemerbob, bigcat1, Bing [Bot], Coach Super-X, D Brown, Dsly, Glavin, Glenn Kelley, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], lefty o, MSNbot Media, nameisjoem, oldtechshooter, redi, spad124, sunflake, trappertom, Treeman67, vern faulkner, wagdog, wildlew


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group     -  DMCA Notice