Shotgun Forum banner

Hodgdon Clays powder

11K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  WH4K 
#1 ·
Does anyone use this. IF so about how many reloads can you get off the 14 ounce bottle and the 4 lb bottle

#2 ·
I just started to reload shotgun shells and I got 350 at 17 to 18.5 grains per load (1 1/8 and 1 oz loads) + 15 (setting up the machine mistakes) shot trap last night and just crushed the targets with the 17.5 1 1/8 loads. I can't tell you about the 4 lb container right now I just opened one yesterday and started working on it. Bryan

#4 ·
Hodgdon Clays is probably THE biggest seller for reloading 12 gauge target shells. I use it for most of my reloading.

There are 7000 grains per pound.

#5 ·
Clays is an excellent choice for the 12 gauge. I use about 17 grains of Clays in a 7/8 oz load for skeet. It is a very clean burning powder and leaves very little residue when compared to something like green dot. The Clays family of powders includes International Clays,(another good 12 ga powder) and Universal Clays (which I use in the 20 and 28 ga).
Check out this website for calculating loads per pound and cost. I posted it earlier but maybe you didn't see it.
http://www.trapshooters.com/rlcalcadv.htm

#6 ·
Clays. It's all there is. There is nothing else.

LOL. It's good stuff, amigo. There really is no finer 12-bore powder, esp if you shoot a gas-gun. You'll be amazed how much less cleaning you do, even over other good powders.

Plus... I like the smell.

#7 ·
thanks guys. I just got my 12 gauge browning bps and I am going to shoot some boxes of remington sts loads through it and start saving hulls. Weather is cold right now and will probably buy a reloader when it comes around to spring time and i start shooting more. Until then i am saving hulls and will probably buy some off ebay when the time comes around.

G
#8 ·
I personally prefer to use BALL POWDERS in anything I reload, including shotshells. Some powders I once used are no longer available (like WW452AA), but I really like Hodgdon's HS-6.

However, if I ever go back to using a flake-style powder, the Hodgdon family of Clays, Universal and International as well, will be get my $$. I have used Unique, Reddot, Herco, SR4756, and a couple others.

Hodgdon makes or bottles excellent powder. don't forget to look at TITEWAD for target loads too, and LONGSHOT for hunting loads in the 12 and 20 gauges.

#11 ·
You know, cougar i load H380 in rifle for just that reason. I LOVE ball powders! Also, my very first reloads with H380 (which were my first rifle loads EVER) printed sub MOA with an ultralight sporter bbl on my A-Bolt Medallion. -however- as goofy as it seems my MEC equipment seems to take to flake better (no, I've never run H380 though it, heh). It's more consistant, though it's close all around. Dunno what gives but Clays meters well, and of course it's clean (esp in hotter, heavier payload recipies).

Hmm?

#13 ·
MrLCSmithJr (Guest),

We welcome you to Shotgunworld.com and hope that you will visit here often. A little tip about bulletinboard etiquette is that the usage of all capital letters is considered "SHOUTING". Since we want to be polite and not SHOUT all the time, we suggest that you only use capitals when called for by proper sentence punctuation and when wishing to emphasize certain words. In general, keeping capital letters to a minimum is a good idea. Also, for some people, sentences in all capitals are harder to read than sentences in lower case letters. I know that I find sentences in all capitals MUCH harder to read and reading very much of it results in eye strain. Thank you, and we hope that you will consider registering and becoming a regular member of our group

#15 ·
FreedeiverGa said:
how is the recoil with a 7/8oz load with a 17-17.5 charge like with the clays?
It is very mild and those loads perform nicely. You are aware that you can start your own topic? There is no need to dig up one from 2003 :mrgreen:

#17 ·
Have used Clays for 15 years, just finishing a 8# of Clay Dot - which in my area is priced $30 less and is supposed to be real close to Clays...............

#18 ·
I have used clays and int clays and they are nice powders.That being said I shoot clay dot all the time now because of the price.I can get clay dot through the club for about 11.00 a pound or less and with the price of shot you gotta scrimp somewhere.I have had real good luck with it,can't tell you if it is any cleaner or dirtier because I clean the heck out of my guns anyway.

#23 ·
Just a few comments.

Hodgdon Clays is a fine powder, no question about it. My only problem with Clays is that it is made in Australia. I'm making a very concious effort to buy American whenever I can do so without sacrificing quality or availability, or paying too much. Happily, Alliant Clay Dot performs just as well, burns just as clean, costs less and is made in the USA. For me, it's the best of all possible worlds.

Due to the confusion caused by the terms International Clays and Universal Clays, I believe that Hodgdon has dropped the word Clays from the names and they are now called just International or Universal.

The last couple of posters to this thread (excluding S2R, who tried to correct a previous mis-statement) made reference to faster powders producing more felt recoil than slower powders. I disagree. I do not believe that the human nervous system can distinguish felt recoil between two different powders that are loaded to the same velocity.

We had this discussion at our club some years ago, with one individual insisting that he could distinguish a "harder" felt recoil from faster powders. I loaded up some 1 oz. loads with Clays and Unique, both to approximately 1,180 fps. I took them to the range and had this individual shoot them at trap. He was unable to tell me which was the faster or slower powder and was completely unable to distinguish which was the heavier recoiling! Out of the 25 shells (12 Unique and 13 Clays) fired, he mis-identitified approximately 50% of the time. I realize this was not exactly a scientific test, but it demonstrated to me that the human nervous system simply cannot distinguish between fractions of a second (probably nanoseconds!) in powder burning rates.

#24 ·
TAC said:
Shoot2reload said:
Deltanon said:
Faster burning equals lower recoil.
No.
I agree, no. Fast burning = a sharp punch - slower burning = more of a push
the formula for free recoil (SAAMI Technical Correspondent's Handbook) favors faster burning powders in general because the slower powders seem to take a few more grains to get the same shot velocity. Interesting to note that free recoil doesnt care about chamber pressure btw. Felt recoil may be different based on stock geometry and us being human etc but you we have the technical advantage with faster burning powder. If recoil really bothered me Id just use my gas gun. I like my 8lb target over-under better so I did some research before I sarted reloading for it. The combination of free and felt recoil are what matters and thats a little different for all of us. Just my 2 cents. to each his own.

heres the link to the formulas involving free recoil:

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/GunRecoilFormulae.pdf

Dave

#25 ·
Again, it's not quite as simple as "fast burn rate = less recoil" or the other way around even.

In my gas gun, a Remington 1100, I'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference between a 1 oz. load made with the subject Clays, and a 1 oz. load made with IMR 800X, which is supposed to be a "slow" powder (also good for heavy 10mm pistol loads, coincidentally). I've made some of both and I never really think to myself, "Hey, that 800X load sure had a lot more/less recoil."

Anyway Clays is a fine powder. I recently finished off a large jug (8 lb.?) jug I'd been loading from since 2005. Haven't selected a replacement. I'm thinking about Alliant's (relatively) new Extra-Lite, because I like to shoot lighter loads (7/8 and 1 oz.) that haven't always cycled 100% in my gas guns. But I'm going to buy 1 lb. each of a couple different powders before I decide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.