CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: deer liver
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:33 am 
Field Grade

If you are squeamish about eating deer liver, don't continue reading this post.

I grew up eating fresh RAW veal liver, and also ate it cooked on occasion. Where I come from, it is considered somewhat of a delicacy eating it raw, but you only got it from a butcher you trust, knowing that the calf has just been slaughtered. We had it for breakfast Sunday mornings, or for lunch with Arak (the equivalent of Greek Ouzo), which is a Licorice based alcoholic drink (about 50 proof)!

Post subject: Re: deer liver
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:03 pm 
Field Grade

people love to be around me when I am cleaning a deer. i am very generous as in only wanting the back and hams. if i am alone, i end up saving the rest of the deer for someone because i saw what poachers used to leave behind on deer, its a shame.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:49 am 
Presentation Grade

Anyone throwing out the liver and heart is for sure nutz....I may have to try some kidneys. But even if you don't lie liver or are squeamish about the heart, both would make outstanding additions to any ground venison sausage, etc. that you have processed from the rest of your deer. A fresh heart can have the same flavor as the tenderloin. Even a large liver can be brine soaked over night, after slicing thin (1/2"), and make a very nice meal...but those small ones that go straight from the deer to the skillet are probably the best.....I've never been able to partake of elk or moose liver/heart, but I'd darn sure want to pack it out, if I could. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

After reading all of the posts, I'm definitely going to cook up the first deer liver I get this year. I tried largemouth bass liver a few years back and it was pretty good. I imagine deer liver will be great. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

The tongue is near the top of the list of my favorite foods. We used to raise and butcher beef when I was a kid, and my mom and grandma would always pickle the hearts and tongues. The tongue was my favorite, it was just so tender compared to the heart. We raised hogs for a while and their tongues were good also. The best tongue I ever ate however, came out of a cow moose. That tongue was larger than any beef tongue I have seen and man did it have a fine flavor. Deer tongues, even from a very large buck, are just too small to deal with. As good as elk meat that I have has was, I sure would like to try one of those tongues.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:22 pm 
Utility Grade

FYI, if there are liver flukes in the liver, it's fine to eat. That is not the infectious stage of the parasite in humans.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:20 pm 
Field Grade

I'm not a liver lover. However, I know it's good for me cuz at times I suffer from low iron spells. Definitely deer or beef. Pan fried with some onions and some mustard and I can tolerate it. Thinly sliced heart flash cooked in a hot pan with onions is awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:08 pm 
Utility Grade

I LOVE liver it is so delicious. Every time we cooked liver when i was a kid my mom and brother used to go out to dinner because they hated the smell of it, me and my dad would sit there and fry up liver all night. cant beat fresh pan fried elk liver