Shotgun Forum banner

My CG Gets Better Looking Every Day

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  shogan191 
#1 ·
Must be some sort of wood aging or seasoning thing but I swear my gun gets better looking everyday. I liked it when I got it but now it's like twice as good looking as it was in September.

It's deeper and richer and the figure is more pronounced.

Anyone else notice this?

#3 ·
Naw, it's the standard finish offered by CG. Don't believe it's linseed oil but it is sure alive.

Woah, I stand corrected. It is a linseed oil finish. So that's the answer. It is alive and becoming more rich and deep. I was just joking around when I started the thread. I was thinking it's all in my mind because I just love the gun.

Thanks for that.

#6 ·
I thought mine was OK when I first bought it but it's definitely getting more depth of color.

It's been shooting perfect all along but I'm not holding it back as much as I was at first. LOL.

#9 ·
Tru-Oil is a combination of 56% standard mineral spirits (solvent), 33% modified oils (proprietary petroleum based solvents and metallic driers), and 11% linseed oil (with proprietary modifications).

Boiled linseed oil is exactly that. Raw linseed oil (flax-seed oil) when used as a wood finish dries slowly, if at all. It is not water proof, or even water resistant, and it yellows with age. Heating linseed oil makes it thicker and somewhat shortens its drying time. A fine finish can be achieved but takes a LOT of time and is easily damaged by handling and/or moisture.

#10 ·
RKA5 said:
shogan191 said:
Woah, I stand corrected. It is a linseed oil finish.
No, it's not. Don't be confused by Guerini's statement that they use a "hand-rubbed oil finish." Nearly all the Italian manufacturers, including Guerini, use Tru-Oil. Saying that Tru-Oil is lindseed oil is like saying my Ford F150 is a Model-T.
Quote from the CG website under FAQs:

"What kind of finish is on Caesar Guerini stocks?
We only use a linseed oil based finish on our stocks. A true oil finish brings out the beauty of the wood."

Is tru-oil considered a "linseed oil based finish"?

#12 ·
aGunForEachHand said:
Quote from the CG website under FAQs:

"What kind of finish is on Caesar Guerini stocks?
We only use a linseed oil based finish on our stocks. A true oil finish brings out the beauty of the wood."

Is tru-oil considered a "linseed oil based finish"?
This isn't that difficult guys. The quote above refers to "A true oil finish". The word "true" is an adjective used to describe, or enhance the description of, the finish. "Tru-Oil" is either a proper noun (name brand) or a generic name used to describe a particular finish or group of oil finishes.

Damn, my English teacher of 50 years ago would be so proud! :D

KK

#13 ·
[quote="Clayshutr"
This isn't that difficult guys. The quote above refers to "A true oil finish". The word "true" is an adjective used to describe, or enhance the description of, the finish. "Tru-Oil" is either a proper noun (name brand) or a generic name used to describe a particular finish or group of oil finishes.

Damn, my English teacher of 50 years ago would be so proud! :D

KK[/quote]

Got that, I guess the question is what kind of finish does CG use?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.