Shotgun Forum banner

Cottontail Hunting in Arizona....

5K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  brianmayeux 
#1 ·
IS AWESOME... Made my limit of 10 in this spot in 1.5 hours...

See less See more
#4 ·
compo said:
thats a lot of rabbits in a short time

do cotton tails make burrows like european rabbits or do they reside permanently above ground? do you use a dog for flsuhing them?
No dog. If the rabbits are smart/hunted often, a dog would come in handy... This group of rabbits were not that smart... Not that dumb either...

Cottontails do burrow... I have seen them several times coming in and out of burrows... They will use dirt burrows or even old packrat burrows...

This hunt and just about every other hunt, I will chase one into a bush and it will disappear... When I look down in the area of the bush, there will always be a burrow... And no, I do not dismantle a burrow to get to the rabbit... I am not that desperate :)

#6 ·
brianmayeux said:
compo said:
thats a lot of rabbits in a short time

do cotton tails make burrows like european rabbits or do they reside permanently above ground? do you use a dog for flsuhing them?
No dog. If the rabbits are smart/hunted often, a dog would come in handy... This group of rabbits were not that smart... Not that dumb either...

Cottontails do burrow... I have seen them several times coming in and out of burrows... They will use dirt burrows or even old packrat burrows...

This hunt and just about every other hunt, I will chase one into a bush and it will disappear... When I look down in the area of the bush, there will always be a burrow... And no, I do not dismantle a burrow to get to the rabbit... I am not that desperate :)
in the UK we use ferrets to chase the rabbits from their burrows......they are then caught in nets, coursed by dogs or shot at ..............its my main hunting activity.......i mostly use nets, but occaionally take the gun, i do most of my shooting when i cant go "ferreting"

#7 ·
compo.. your ferret would have a field day (literally) here in Arizona... :p How do they do in areas of cactus... I did run into one huge nasty diamondback rattler on this hunt also... wow, that freaked me out...

#8 ·
brianmayeux said:
compo.. your ferret would have a field day (literally) here in Arizona... :p How do they do in areas of cactus... I did run into one huge nasty diamondback rattler on this hunt also... wow, that freaked me out...
cactus.....LOL

nettle's, blackberry brambles, hawthorn and wild roses....but no cactus here

ferrets are quiet adapt with snakes (they are related to mongoose's) but i would rather avoid them......we dont have many in the UK , we have adder's that are poisonous but not usually fatal

If you are ever in the UK between sept-feb i will take you ferreting

#10 ·
Troyhillz said:
Wow just walked all around for 3 hours out by florence looking for cotton tail and didnt see a thing execpt a cubby of quail about 50 large! what area was this in? great hunt! even better pics! keep em coming!
thanks ! this was in an area near Hillside arizona.... I cannot give out any more than that becuase the person who told me about the area wants it kept a bit secret...

Anywhere in the santa maria valley should produce good rabbit hunting...

#12 ·
Not sure why it took me this long to post :lol:

Ingredients.

2 lbs of rabbit quartered into legs/back. Cut slices in the rabbit so it can absorb marinade.
2 tablespoons of the original tabasco (more or less to taste)
3 limes
3 cloves of minced garlic
flour for breading (optional)
1/3 cup of real butter (not that margarine $h!t)
salt

MARINADE:
Marinade the rabbit in the fresh squeezed lime juice and water for at least one day.
COOK:
melt the butter in a saucepan.
add the minced garlic tabasco and about 2 teaspoons of salt to the melted butter
If you want you can roll the rabbit in flour, But I prefer it without any flour.
Add the rabbit and cook for a LONG time about 1 to 1.5 hours on LOW heat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.