Shotgun Forum banner

Timeline for the Browning Auto 5 1903 - 1940

307K views 566 replies 88 participants last post by  Rudolph31 
#1 ·
Gentlemen,

In an other thread:

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=215947&p=1798520

"3rdbuttondown" asked for a Browning Auto 5 timeline thread. I like his idea and I try to start. But before I'll do so, some general remarks:

1/ basis of the following are guns discussed on this forum, my own guns, info I gathered from the internet and of course the book "Browning Auto-5 Shotguns - The Belgian FN Production" by H. M. Shirley Jr. and Anthony Vanderlinden (in the following: SV). There are "white spots" though, especially when it comes to pre-1909 A5s. I tried to fill the gaps as best as I can. But not all info given for guns in the 1903 to 1909 timeframe are exact - the info reflects my current knowledge. And I am still learning.

2/ I'm not a native English speaker and there will be mistakes in language. If you find something what can be corrected in language (especially grammar), please send me a PM and I'll gladly correct it.

3/ My main interested are the pre 1940 A5s. I'm simply lost with the post 1940 A5s. I'd be happy to see a fellow willing to continue the timeline for guns made after 1940. If this fellow like to have drawings like the ones shown hereinafter: advise, and I'll make them.

4/ The drawings shown hereinafter were made by myself, based on observed features. There may be mistakes in it - advise by PM, and I will correct them.

5/ I'm referring to technical details only when a change was made, e.g. I'm referring to locking screws only in 1909, when they were introduced. If there is no reference to a specific feature in later years, that means, no changes were made.

6/ abbreviations:
SN = serial number
SV = Shirley/Vanderlinden "Browning Auto-5 Shotguns - The Belgian FN Production", first edition, 2003, Wet Dog Publications, Greensboro, NC; ISBN:0-9707997-1-3

7/ Hopefully, the following isn't too boring for you! If you find anything what should be corrected or amended, please advise via PM.

Enjoy!

Regards

Martin

See less See more
#102 ·
Slim,

thanks for posting my pics...I have never had that much trouble before. When I got the gun yesterday, people were amazed at what I had. There is almost no blue left and no rust, but they grey metal look gives it a "turn of the century" industrial look. And the wood is absolutely outstanding. The only problem is that the last screw (can be seen in the pics above) on the underside of the stock was not original and does not thread in. The first screw doesn't "bottom out" onto the tang, so the previous owner simply "dropped in" a screw to keep the stock from sliding off. I am now on a hunt to find a screw that will work. There is one on Gunbroker (not sure if it will work) and Brownell's is currently out of stock. Any suggestions or advice would be apprecciated.

David

#104 ·
Slim,

thanks for the link...he does look to be the expert on Brownings. I contacted Browning Arms today and they said they couldn't help, a Gentleman at Brownell's was very helpful, but in the end it looks like I will have to contact Art or have a competent gunsmith do the job. I want to keep the gun as close to as original as I possibly can.

#116 ·
Hello, new to the board and THANKS for all the great information. For the life of me and cant figure out my A5. everything i look at on this gun has something that points to a different direction. or maybe i just cant figure it out. It seems to have proof marks from after 1926 but with a serial number from 1912? some markings seem to be missing and it has some that are not listed at all? The barrel says "Browning arms company st louis mo & montreal P.Q." and " ** special steel - 12 gauge - 3" " serial number is 35xxx, sorry the board wont let me post pictures, it says the attachment quota is reached. Here are a few http://s1182.photobucket.com/albums/x452/hydewildman/

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide
John

#117 ·
hydewildman said:
Hello, new to the board and THANKS for all the great information. For the life of me and cant figure out my A5. everything i look at on this gun has something that points to a different direction. or maybe i just cant figure it out. It seems to have proof marks from after 1926 but with a serial number from 1912? some markings seem to be missing and it has some that are not listed at all? The barrel says "Browning arms company st louis mo & montreal P.Q." and " ** special steel - 12 gauge - 3" " serial number is 35xxx, sorry the board wont let me post pictures, it says the attachment quota is reached. Here are a few http://s1182.photobucket.com/albums/x452/hydewildman/

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide
John
Hi John,

this isn't a pre 1940 Auto 5, but a Magnum made in 1961. There are two keys:

1/ note the "1V" above "37480": that's a part of the complete serial number and is indicating a Magnum ("V") made in 1961 ("1").

2/ the Belgian proof date code Greek letter "Phi", indicating proof in 1961.

Regards

Martin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.