Shotgun Forum banner

Naked Blonde Trap Shooting

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  obx351 
#1 ·
Boy it's easy to get your attention....

On a serious note, at 17 yards, what is a good score for trap shooting for a beginner? I average about 20 out of 25 shots. Is that respectable?

#4 ·
You're right - we're easy ....

but what is good / bad is pretty relative but as a guideline I think setting your goal for a 20 average is a good idea. Once you get there set your goals at 21 or 22 - and if you shoot 4 rounds in a day - keep your total score 80, 85, etc.

You can get another idea on averages if you look at the ATA website and look at the classes they put shooters in - and it's based on averages. I think an 80 average will put you in a class D - with classes ranging from AA, A, B, C, D and E and while it is fair to say AA shooters are generally better than D shooters - the way it works is we all compete in our classes - so it's pretty relative. As you get better - you'll move up. A lot of experienced shooters - I shoot with - whether they admit it or not have a tough time maintaining a 23 average or 92 out of 100. It's not as easy as it looks somedays - wind, rain, light conditions, etc. and by the way non-handicap trap should be shot from the 16 yard line, not the 17 - 17 yard line is for continental trap ( faster, wider angles, load 2 shells ) but there isn't much difference from the 16 to 17 yard line in how to shoot the game.

#6 ·
Allow me to save you the trouble of going to the ATA website, since I have the rules downloaded....

2. For 16-yard events the following systems are established:

SIX CLASSES

98% and over AAA
96.25% and under 98% AA
94.75% and under 96.25% A
93% and under 94.75% B
90% and under 93% C
under 90% D

FIVE CLASSES

97% and over AA
94% and under 97% A
91% and under 94% B
88% and under 91% C
Under 88% D

FOUR CLASSES

95% and over A
92% and under 95% B
89% and under 92% C
Under 89% D

THREE CLASSES

95% and over A
91% and under 95% B
Under 91% C

#10 ·
You're doing great. Move back to the handicap stations for a challange.

#11 ·
Sorry, I forgot to mention, you are doing better then Kerry. He claims to be a lifelong hunter. He recently shot a 17/25 on the trap field. So you doing better then Kerry!!! :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.