Shotgun Forum banner

Remington 1100

3K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  MarvC 
#1 ·
I just purchased a Remington 1100 12 ga with IC fixed choke on Gunbroker for $385.00. The born date is 1977 and it appears to be in mint condition with only a couple of scratches to the stock and the bluing looks to be 95%. I bought this gun for a backup hunting gun and for sentimental reasons because my deceased brother had one just like it that went to his son after his untimely death . What should I look for when I receive this gun to make sure it is safe to shoot? I do plan on having my FFL do a check for me when he receives it.

#2 ·
Unless there's a barrel obstuction, it should be safe to shoot. A reasonable examination to make sure the bolt locks shut, etc. should ensure this.

Should you have trouble with the 1100, as with any autoloader, it will probably be with cycling. The gun is not likely to explode in your hands.

#4 ·
A new to you autoloader like the Remington 1100, 1187, or model 58 or 11-48 or 11 or Browning auto 5 or several (most) other flavors of autos, very often need the action spring replaced....this isn't so much for any safety reason but to insure trouble free function and minimize the wearing and the tearing on the gun......it is usually an inexpensive part and can insure long life to ones gun...IMO....Art

#5 ·
The only thing I would recommend you do is to take it apart, all the way, and give it a good cleaning and lubing. Look all the parts over well for anything suspicious, though I doubt you will find much. The 1100 is a pretty robust design and with it's steel receiver it is highly unlikely to be dangerous. As was suggested, the most common issue you might encounter would be related to cycling and a good clean and lube will make that less likely.

Though I disagree with the assumption that the action spring will probably need replacing, it cannot hurt to take the butt stock off, remove the spring and follower and look for any problems there. Sometimes older 1100s end up with rust issues in this area. The used 1100 I purchased off of Gunbroker had MAJOR problems in this area, but they were the result of someone hiding damage, not the result of normal usage and wear. Nonetheless, inspection, cleaning and light lubrication of the tube, spring and follower will be time well spent in eliminating potential problems. The same goes for the magazine tube, spring and follower. Take 'em apart and clean 'em up. It's easy to do and will head off problems.

#7 ·
1100's are reliable, durable shotguns. Every part on the gun is simple and cheap to replace, but they rarely need any parts. Mine get taken apart and throughly cleaned very regularly, then lightly lubed with whatever gun oil is handy. I think the overwhelming majority of 1100's just get used like a pair of pliers or a wrench,,, without much thought to cleaning and lube. The gun will usually fire several hundred shells without cleaning, and then will go several hundred more if you spray WD 40 on the gas assembly and wipe it off with a paper towel, and keep on doing this until doomsday. It's a very easy gun to keep going.

The only "trick" with an earlier 1100 that I know of is that you absolutely must assemble the gas piston ring correctly. It can be assembled several ways, but only one way will allow the gun to work.
Remington has the manuals online to show you how.

#8 ·
Every part on the gun is simple and cheap to replace
You haven't tried to replace everything, then. There's a bit that's neither. It doesn't appear to be a common problem, though, since a lot of people insist that they've never had a problem with an 1100 that they couldn't fix easily.

What people say about springs is true, but since this is not a safety issue, I don't see any particular reason not to clean, lube and shoot the gun, and find out. If it works, then you don't have to replace the springs.

#9 ·
Congrats. on your 1100. Considering the condition that's one of the best buys on an 1100 I've seen. I've got three of them and some other more expensive brands. My 1100 12 gauge is a 26" IC I've owned since it was new in 1980 and it's still going strong. It would be the last to go. I put 100 rounds through it yesterday.

The only part I've ever replaced on it is the recoil or action spring at over 10,000 rounds about seven years ago because someone recommended doing it as routine maintenance. When it was the only shotgun I had I used it for almost everything: skeet, 16 yard trap, sporting clays, doves, ducks over decoys, etc.

Based on the external condition of yours. I'd be surprised if there's any problems internally.

#11 ·
A friendly word of caution from a newbie 1100 owner: be careful when cleaning your gun.

The first time I took the action apart to clean it (there's an excellent post elsewhere on this website, as well as a good video on YouTube on how to clean an 1100,) I found out the hard way there's a very sharp edge inside the receiver. I had sprayed a little CLP into the receiver to remove any residue (which looked fairly clean,) and took a rag to wipe it out. I ended up in the emergency room getting a suture in my fingertip. I won't be making that mistake again in a hurry!

When I mentioned my experience to my fellow shooters at the club, every one who owned an 1100 smiled and said: "been there, done that." :)

#14 ·
Love my 1100!!
hargroderauto, you will probably love yours as well.

I also attended the School of Hard Knocks with digger1. :D
Actually I graduated "Valedictorian" !! 8)
The proof is that I have cut my fingers more than once on the "OH SO SHARP" slide. :oops:

#15 ·
Don't pull the trigger, with the trigger group removed from the
gun unless you block the hammer from hitting the metal in
front of it. This dry firing of the trigger, with nothing to
block the hammer from hitting that stuff in front it gives
problems.

You should also go to the Remington forum and read the
sticky posts at the top about the 1100. Everything you
every wanted to know is probably there.

#16 ·
Devil's Advocate said:
Don't pull the trigger, with the trigger group removed from the
gun unless you block the hammer from hitting the metal in
front of it. This dry firing of the trigger, with nothing to
block the hammer from hitting that stuff in front it gives
problems.
If you do, you get to see the carrier latch snap in 2 and the top half flies across the room!!!
Valedictorian here!! :lol: 8)

#17 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I received the 1100 Monday and was pleasently surprised by the great condition. I brought it to a gunsmith for him to check it and he said that it looks like it was shot very little. The action bars still have the paint on them like new with very lite scuff marks. I have only shot 9 rounds through it to make sure it cycled and can't wait to shoot clays with it this weekend.

#20 ·
Virginian said:
If your gunsmith said there is paint on the action bars, get another gunsmith.
...:lol: Good one Virginian!

With all the crazyness going on at Big Green in recent years I still love my old 1100. My buddy told me the other day his 1100 Mag is going in the ground with him...:lol:

Gooding shooting with your new to you 1100 Hargroderauto. Treat it right and you will have it for the rest of your life.

#21 ·
hargroderauto,
Congratulations on the 1100.
I owned one in my high school years long ago it served me well for years, I eventually sold the gun after loosing interest in hunting.
Back into shotguns several months ago I found a mint 1100 for a very good price.
Although the gun is heavier and requires a bit more cleaning at times I will not part with the 1100 it's a classic.

MarvC
8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.