Shotgun Forum banner

White Powder Wonder

9K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Drew Hause 
#1 ·
My Dad ( born 1904 ) told me about the first shotgun he ever owned. He ordered it from Sears Roebuck and it was called a White powder wonder. It was a single barrel that he said was a wonder that damn thing could kick so hard. Can anyone tell me what gun maker made it? He didn't keep it very long before he sold it and bought a M97 of which I still own.

#3 ·
thanks Albanygun I've ofteen wondered who actually made them. My dad told me it kicked so hard that he would only shoot it if he knew he could kill whatever he was shooting at with one shot. That was the only gun I ever heard him complain about the recoil.

#5 ·
It goes without saying (but once again I will) that a picture would answer the question.

The Andrew Fyrberg & Sons plant in Worcester had contracted in 1899 to sell it's entire gun production to Sears, and shortly thereafter Richard Sears purchased an interest in the firm. Fryberg made guns marked "Chicago Arms Co." sold by Sears and also Fred Biffar Hardware Co. of Chicago. The 1902 Sears, Roebuck & Co. catalog lists the $15.75 Chicago Long Range Wonder hammerless double and the single barrel Long Range Winner "BUILT IN OUR OWN FACTORY under the direct supervision of one of the most skilled gun makers in America and his two sons, expert gun machinists, gun and tool makers in Worcester, Mass."
There were also several guns with different American Gun Co. names (made by Crescent in Norwich and owned by H&D Folsom) including the Bar Lock All American and New American. Other Folsom made WONDER guns were the White Powder Wonder, Gold Medal Wonder, and the American Bar Lock Wonder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.