Shotgun Forum banner

What is your favorite?

20K views 31 replies 28 participants last post by  ldp82 
#1 ·
What is your favorite species of fish to catch?

For me it's a toss up between perch and catfish.

I have a real good spot where the bluegill get 8-9" long and pound for pound I'd say perch fight harder than bass.

I also love fishing for catfish. Cast your bait out, set your pole down, and relax untill you get a hit. Then when they start biteing it's nonstop action. Last summer I landed six 3-4# flatheads in 30 minutes.

#28 ·
Favorite fishing is saltwater as you never know what you'll catch. Dad was Navy and he loved his fishing in RI and Maine. I still remember trolling off the War College in Newport RI for stripers. I worked in South Louisiana for over 20 years and we caught anything from redfish, speckled trout, bass, white perch, bream and flounder in the marsh. We also would go out to the bay area and catch shark, grouper, redsnapper, ling, huge bull reds, white trout, bluefish, triggerfish, and jack crevalle also. BUT since i dont saltwater fish anymore now i settle mainly on bass fishing but if i want some really good eating i go white perch fishing (crappie, sac-a-lait).

#31 ·
No doubt about it, smallmouth bass for me. I have even learned how to cook them to make them as good or better eating than most any other kind of fish. The trick is, keep them very healthy, then wack them over the head with a small club and get the fillets off while they are still twitching. Bass get a bad wrap in the eating department because they get "fishy" tasting otherwise. My wife makes the best fish-tacos outside of California from bass I catch. I dont believe in catch-and-release and view that as sensless maiming of a prime recource. I only fish waters that have an abundance of bass, and I target those that are just barely keepers, as they are the tastiest. Ordinarily however, I will keep the first limit I catch, although I do release any bass over 18", as these are the prime breeders and they are not nearly as tastey above that size. I also make most of my own lures (bucktail jigs) and never use live bait (too inefficient).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.