Shotgun Forum banner

William Moore and Co. double barrel 10 ***** shotgun forearm

8K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  petermo 
#1 ·
I have inherited a William Moore and Co. 10 ***** double barrel shotgun. Quite old, not sure of the value. Been told it depends on whether it was made in Belgium or London. The barrel is stamped 'London' and has some stamps on it that I cannot read. Question, I need a forearm for this piece and not sure where to start looking. Any help?

#4 ·
According to my reference book, WILLIAM MOORE & CO was an English gun maker from 1854 to 1872 making you gun at least 139 years old. Like said finding a replacement forearm would be a miracle. Of course you can haunt the gun parts auction sites. Sometimes these things do show up.

#5 ·
Dependent on the gun ,its overall condition , type of forend catch and the eventual value of the gun etc. it may be a possibility to adapt a a forend iron fron another gun to fit . Even so it will need to be re wooded. I have done this in the past , but with out seeing your gun it is a bit of shot in the dark . Worth looking into though ,but be warned it wont be cheap.

#6 ·
The William Moore & Co name would date the gun prior to 1872, as Ned Fall says. That would probably put it into the Black Powder era.
The makers William Moore continued until about 1908 but under the name William Moore & Grey, they had been bought out by Cogswell & Harrison at some time before that.
I do not think that William LarkinMoore.com has any connection with the original William Moore, at least in the field of gunmaking.

#9 ·
Thank you all for the quick replies. Wow. I have checked into the WilliamLarkinMoore co. Apparently not the same company. Several years ago my brother looked into having one fabricated but it was indeed way more than I could spend. Attached are some pictures. My dad said he used to shoot this gun (60 yrs ago). Now just trying to get it put back together.

#10 ·
It was made in England and is now in the United States. Import? Yes but when?
William Larkin Moore had some guns built in various places for the US market -- their brand I think. But they weren't around in the 1870s! :) That's what I meant.

petermo, do you just need the wood, or the forend iron also?

#11 ·
I need the wood and forend iron. The original was lost in shipping a number of years ago during a family move. I cannot say when it was imported, only that in our family history, the gun is mention at the turn of the 20th century. Homesteaded farms in S. Minnesota. Working on pictures but I have a learning curve on this website. Again, thank you all for your comments.

#12 ·
I need the wood and forend iron. The original was lost in shipping a number of years ago during a family move. I cannot say when it was imported, only that in our family history, the gun is mention at the turn of the 20th century. Homesteaded farms in S. Minnesota. Working on pictures but I have a learning curve on this website. Again, thank you all for your comments.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.