CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sling on a maverick 88
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:03 pm 
Field Grade

New to shotguns and bought a couple of Maverick 88's for me and my son at a blowout sale (at least by California standards) and want to put a sling on them. Like chokes, is the Maverick 88 compatible with the 500's for scope and sling mounts (if there is such a thing)? I notice there's a small threaded hole where the (don't laugh :oops: ) plug is inserted and the cap screws on to hold the barrel in place.

BTW, we like walking and we spend a lot of time up and down hills and would like to put a sling on them - they are 12 gauge. Any recommendations on a specific vendor for a sling would be appreciated.

Mark

Post subject: Re: sling on a maverick 88
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

My Maverick came with a set of studs, one of which screws into the threaded hole you found in the end cap.

I have a cheap nylon sling that I bought at Wal Mart for $6 (already had a set of Uncle Mike's QD swivels). It works just fine.

The elastic buttcuff also came from Wal Mart, $4.

Since you didn't get the studs with your Mavericks, you can find them on the Maverick Arms website:

LINK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:06 am 
Field Grade

Good ol' Wally World... What would we do without Wal-Mart. Thanks, I like the shell holder and will look for that too.

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:44 am 
Limited Edition

It warms my heart to know I'm not the only one who owns one of these ugly things. ;)
midlifecrisis I bought a "bird barrel" for a 500, which fits like a glove. Although the smooth bore is all I've needed for whitetail I have considered a red-dot scope. So my two options would be the rifled barrel with the attached mount, or one of those side or saddle scope mounts. That barrel itself is around 125, for another 75 I can buy a new shotgun. I had a thread rollin for a bit on the Weaver convert-a-mounts. Ironicly you can also buy one at Wal-mart.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:47 pm 
Field Grade

danurve wrote:
It warms my heart to know I'm not the only one who owns one of these ugly things. ;)
midlifecrisis I bought a "bird barrel" for a 500, which fits like a glove. Although the smooth bore is all I've needed for whitetail I have considered a red-dot scope. So my two options would be the rifled barrel with the attached mount, or one of those side or saddle scope mounts. That barrel itself is around 125, for another 75 I can buy a new shotgun. I had a thread rollin for a bit on the Weaver convert-a-mounts. Ironicly you can also buy one at Wal-mart.

I hesitated to say so, but what I really like about it is that I don't worry about it... I took my son out this past Saturday to hunt - really just to spend time together but I won't tell him - squirrel and a couple of times I handed him my gun to hold while I got something out of my pack. He's has good safety sense and is careful when walking with a gun but he still managed to put the muzzle in the snow once. I also used mine - unloaded of course - to lead me through the brush while trying to flush some quail for him to take a shot at. It's like my old truck. Reliable and not something I worry about scratching up. I hesitated because I didn't want anybody to think I think little of the gun, I just can be less concerned than I might be with a $1,200 O/U or a $700 auto.

Thanks for the info on the barrel. I can assume then that barrels and such for the 500 will work on the 88? I would like to set it up for Turkey season - opens the 13th here in CA. I'm thinking about a scope so are the Weaver's an option to mount on the stock barrel?

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:18 pm 
Limited Edition

Ya the barrels will interchange. The Weaver or B-square mount can be used for a scope, if you do not have the rifled barrel with the built in mount.

Back to the topic though for a moment, although the wider slings make carry time easier, when your sling is slipping and your hands are full while trying to sneek around ..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:57 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the information. I'll keep the width in mind. I always wondered why the high priced rifle slings were not wide... Hate to buy even something cheap and have to do it again.

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:06 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the information. I'll keep the width in mind. I always wondered why the high priced rifle slings were not wide... Hate to buy even something cheap and have to do it again.

Mark