CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I drank the koolaid
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:34 am 
Tournament Grade

I am a bit of a research nut and after about 6 months of pouring over information I pulled the trigger on a Lanber 2097 sporting lux with 30" barrels and extended chokes.

Here is my story in case it help somebody else down the line.

I shot quite a bit with my father as a young kid all the way through high school. Lots of .22 and bow with the occasional farm/backyard trap when we were lucky enough to go down south to see family.

Then I went off to college and got started on my adult life. Now I am 33 and my father and I found and joined a great gun club. We get out on average 1 time a week to shoot and we both have been loving the time together and shooting. We just started going this year and our main focus has almost entirely even skeet.

My father has a number of guns from his younger days and we just started with those and I mooched off of him. He had a short barrel pump and an a5 so he bought an over under because that style of gun seemed much better for skeet. From there we shared his Stoeger Condor. As many might guess we had lots of trouble with that gun. Not a terrible gun but not designed for 2 guns to push 300 rounds through it in 2 hours. Because that gun was in and out of repair regularly this year he also bought a .410 to try something fun and different. This was a Stevens o/u and it has performed flawlessly.

We knew the condor was not going to cut it so we both started looking for new guns seeming that we had really taken to shooting skeet. My dad had more money to spend and he is right handed so he bought a nice citori 525 sporting and is obviously happy. I am left handed so the right handed gun was terrible for me. The other cheap ones were ambi so it did not matter.

I watched the used side for a long time looking for that deal on a left handed gun that never came. In the mean time I was looking for a new gun for under a grand that would hold up to the punishment of skeet.

Early on I found the cz redhead and thought it was a great choice but I was not totally sold. Others like franchi(?) we're small and light. Then I found info on line about the lanbers and after much ado I bought one.

I bought it from Cdnn for $730 and the transaction was super smooth. They did a good job with the transaction but I was surprised by the low tech manual processes over there. It took a special call to get a tracking number. It took a number of phone calls to get get a receipt. They did however get the order exactly right and they got it out the door very quickly. Gun showed up perfectly and I was super happy with condition for 'bumped and bruised'.

I ordered skeet chokes from trulock and they showed up after the gun did. Same thing with them... Did a good job but it felt like an old school ordering process. I had to email and ask for the status of the order and they emailed me a tracking number. The order had already left but I was never updated. Good transaction but they also could work their communication skills.

As for the gun. I took it out for the first time Tuesday and it worked great, no issues. I shot a 24 the first round so I was happy. Gun fit like a glove and there were no problems or mishaps. I am not sure the ejectors are as good as other guns but honestly I could care less about that part and I probably just need to break it in a little. Gun swung and pointed great. I see a lot of 25s in my future with this gun.

If this thing can hold up I will be singing it's praises to others I meet looking for the ever elusive quality o/u for under a grand. Also for a lefty that can't find a cheap used citori this thing really fills a void.

I just thought I would document my process to help other that might connect to my story. I will update this thread at intervals with reports of how the gun is still holding up.

:!: :!: Update!!! Careful lefties this gun has a right handed cast. :!: :!:

Nate

Last edited by n88n on Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: I drank the koolaid
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:31 am 
Diamond Grade

Nate, remember to keep the hinge pins and the front of the receiver well lubed with some good moly grease, and a few drops of oil on the top lever where it goes into the receiver. If you do that it will last you a very long time!!!!
Dave

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:06 am 
Tournament Grade

Hi Dave,

thanks so much for the advise! I will try to follow those rules for sure.

I will have to figure out what moly grease is and where to get some. I think I understand what you mean by the front of the receiver... is that where barrels touch the receiver?

The hinge pin, is that what the gun 'breaks open' on? I will look that up.

I understand the top level and we have some classic gun oil. How often do you suggest to add oil?

thanks for your help as I have not begun even thinking about the maintenance part of my purchase. I got the gun out of the box and barely wiped it down with some oil and started shooting. I need to turn my research focus away from 1911 pistols and learn something about cleaning, and maintaining a gun. if you have any links as resources I would love to read up on it.

thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:25 pm 
Utility Grade

Nate

Welcome to the club! I have had a 2097 Lux since Oct. of last year and love it. Just got back from shooting three rounds of skeet as we speak and she came through again. If yours performs like mine you will be very happy that you made the move. No matter how many rounds I shoot it never beats me up and the balance is perfect. Mine came with the five extended chokes which I use modified and imp. modified for trap. I orderd two internal cyl. from CDNN and use them for skeet. Batchelders told me that Lanber cyl. chokes are actually closer to Skeet one, so I had them micked. They measured .724 and .723 which on the charts are actually skeet 1. They have been working just fine and patterned pretty good with Remington gun club 9 shot. I am going to order two Trulock skeet 1's in the future.

I was told buy a friend to try Rio skeet loads in our Lanbers. I shot two boxes the other day and was impressed. My next purchase of ammo will be a case of Rio. I really like the stuff. Some of the guys at the club had some problems with their semis', but then again you can have problems with any brand in an auto. Anyway, give them a try if you get a chance. Again, good luck and keep us informed about the new toy!

Willis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:26 pm 
Presentation Grade

Don't forget to take the stock off and clean and lube the action. It will take a 5 or 6mm allen socket on a long extention. (I have no idea why they use two different size bolt heads) As for the ejectors, don't be that guy who shoots his empty hulls out on the ground and leaves them there for someone else to pick up! Catch them before they leave the gun, put them in your shooting pouch, and throw them away if you do not reload.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for all the good advise! I really need to learn to take care of the gun. I do not have much access to it because I keep it at my father's in his safe. I never shoot without my father and that is an easy way to keep my wife off my a$$ about guns in the house. He lives about 1 mile from the gun club so it is very convenient and my dad can be my gun caddy.

The shells on the ground is one of the reasons that I like the o/u style gun. We are very respectful and we leave the place cleaner than when we got there. We are super lucky to have such a great skeet range that sometimes feels like our own personal range so we really cherish it. Also my father reloads and hoards shells so none are left behind.

Thanks for all the great info guys!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:35 am 
Field Grade

Welcome to koolaid gang.
I got my 2097 lux 2 months ago,
and I'm loving it.
The gun just fits me perfect and no problems so far.
The first time out shot 71 out of 100 SC.
So enjoy the koolaid .

"Is life so dear, peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry - March 23, 1775

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:04 am 
Tournament Grade

Very cool. There were a couple of times this year where the skeet range was closed so we shot sporting clays. That is definitely a fun game. I did not keep score but I know I did do as well as you. I was shooting an a5 so hopefully the lux with some proper chokes will help.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've been shooting the Lux for just over a year now... Have to admit, the more I shoot it, the more consistent things have become... I only shoot trap, but have been able to elevate my game to a consistent level, 23's and 24's, with occasional 25's.

To that end, I bit the bullet, no pun intended, and invested in some TruLocks... Will be testing them out this week to see if they're that much better than the factories.. I can say this already, the internal finish on the chokes is smoother than the factory chokes... And they thread in much easier, don't feel like they're rubbing or out of round...

Wednesday will be the true test when I take them on their maiden shoot...

Best of luck with your Lux, you'll grow to appreciate how well it handles and the fact that you didn't drop 2K for it.. It's nice to play with the big boys, on their level, without their expense... :mrgreen:

Cheers,
OMM

Last edited by onemadmapper on Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:24 am 
Tournament Grade

onemadmapper wrote:
To that end, I bit the bulet, no pun intended, and invested in some TruLocks...

I ordered two SK1 chokes from Trulock as well. The first time I took the gun out I had not yet received the trulocks. I am shooting tonight and I will be able to test out the trulocks. The Lanber does not come with skeet chokes so I am hoping they help me out.

I am excited to take my new lanber out again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:22 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

TruLock's are indeed a might bit better than the factory Lanber Extended Chokes...

I ordered a Full, an Improved Modified and a Modified for the 2097 Lux. Shot them for the first time tonight, 18yd trap, here's the results:

Round 1 - 21/25 Improved Modified
Round 2 - 24/25 Full
Round 3 - 24/25 Full
Round 4 - 25/25 Full

One to three hits better, on average, better per round, than I was experiencing with the factory chokes. The real difference I noticed was more dusting of the targets, higher percentage of hits on the center of mass, if you will. Yea, yea, I know, there's not much center of mass there, but dusting them v. splitting them is a big difference... Nice to see the target explode rather than just breaking into two or three pieces.

Anyway, now I'm a believer! The Lanber just keeps getting better and better. Lanbers and Trulocks, what a pair, a great investment from my perspective.

Cheers,
OMM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

onemadmapper wrote:
TruLock's are indeed a might bit better than the factory Lanber Extended Chokes...

I ordered a Full, an Improved Modified and a Modified for the 2097 Lux. Shot them for the first time tonight, 18yd trap, here's the results:

Round 1 - 21/25 Improved Modified
Round 2 - 24/25 Full
Round 3 - 24/25 Full
Round 4 - 25/25 Full

One to three hits better, on average, better per round, than I was experiencing with the factory chokes. The real difference I noticed was more dusting of the targets, higher percentage of hits on the center of mass, if you will. Yea, yea, I know, there's not much center of mass there, but dusting them v. splitting them is a big difference... Nice to see the target explode rather than just breaking into two or three pieces.

Anyway, now I'm a believer! The Lanber just keeps getting better and better. Lanbers and Trulocks, what a pair, a great investment from my perspective.

Cheers,
OMM

thanks for the update. Since you are a trap guy let me ask you a question. What choke would you use from the standard Lanber issues for trap? I am a skeet shooter so I ordered 2 skeet chokes from trulock, but I don't see myself ordering other for the limited trap and SC that I shoot.

I was shooting the IM for trap the other day but I would not know any better. I think I have shot maybe 4 boxes of real trap this year and 1 box when I was a kid. That being said now that we all have our own guns trap will be more of a viable option and I might shoot more so I would like to use the best size choke for the job.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

I used to think the tighter shot pattern out of the Trulocks in a Lanber was just a Lanber thing, but it turns out that all extended chokes shoot slightly tighter than flush chokes in a given gun. Browning and Carson's chokes even say so on thier web site. It has something to do with the slower constriction of the shot in a longer choke. Found that out when looking for chokes for the new Win. 101.
The last time I shot trap, I used a light mod. choke and just tore the birds up. I can't imagine why you would need a full unless you shoot real slow or are shooting handicap.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:42 pm 
Utility Grade

I have been using Lanber factory internal CYL chokes for my skeet shooting with my 2097 Lux. I called Bachelder a while back and asked about getting skeet 1 chokes from Tru Lock, but they said save my money unless I peferred extended chokes. According to Batchelder, Lanber CYL chokes are actually closer to skeet 1 diameter. I had my Lanber Cyl internals miched and they were .724 and .723 respectively. That according to the charts is skeet 1 for sure. I am getting great scores using Rio skeet #9 and Remington gun club #9. I use my extended Lanber modified for 16 yard trap and my improved mod. for 27 yard doubles with #7 1/2 Rio or Winchester super target. Just wanted to let everyone know about the info on the Lanber chokes. I will probably end up buying some Tru Locks down the road but for now these are fine!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

n88n wrote:
Since you are a trap guy let me ask you a question. What choke would you use from the standard Lanber issues for trap?

I have the Lanber extended factory chokes, I was using IM and F. Find that with full, I can wait unit the clay hit's it's apex. Shot a few 25's with the Lanber chokes. And as I mentioned, first time out with the TruLocks, hit a 25.

There are many trains of thought with regards to chokes. And that's a whole seperate debate in itself... For me it's more what I have confidence in and what performs for me with my chosen round. My preference is 1 1/8 oz. #8, 2 3/4 or 3 dram eq.

My recommendation would be settle on a load to use and then shoot a round or two with each of the different chokes, I'm sure you'll see some differences. Simply settle on the one that works best for you.

Practice and consistency are the keys to success. Took me nearly a year to learn that one :mrgreen:

Cheers,
OMM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:32 am 
Tournament Grade

Well I got out Sunday for my third trip out with the gun and put 12 boxes through the gun. My father did not have his gun with him, long story, so he shot mine as well. We each shot 6 rounds of skeet and I was real happy how the gun handled the abuse.

Best part of it all I finally got my first 25! I just started this year and I was afraid that I would not get a 25 in my first season of shooting. My club shuts down for a week or two over Christmas and new years and I had made a personal goal of getting 25 before that break. I am happy and I hope it is the first of many to come.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:55 pm 
Field Grade

I just became a member of the koolaid gang too. Just bought a 2097 sporting. Can't wait to get out and shoot it. Should have it by next weekend, Jim

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

Congrats Jim. So far so good on mine but way to early to really know how it will hold up in the long run.

It point good and breaks clays. I can spend the money I saved on birds and shells.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm thinking there shouldn't be any issues with the 2097 holding up. As y'all may have read on these forums, there's folks down under and across the pond who have put tens of thousands of rounds through theirs. And there's at least one board member here in the states that has gone well over the 10K mark without incident.

Myself, I'm approaching 5K rounds through mine. She's still tight as the day I took 'er out of the box. No noticable wear, not that I did any measurements to begin with :mrgreen:

With proper maintenance and lubrication, I cannot see where there would be an issue. I'm sure I will wear out and give up the ghost well before the Lanber does.

Enjoy your new Lanber, you've made a wise decision.

Cheers,
OMM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Beemanjohn wrote:
Don't forget to take the stock off and clean and lube the action. It will take a 5 or 6mm allen socket on a long extention. (I have no idea why they use two different size bolt heads) As for the ejectors, don't be that guy who shoots his empty hulls out on the ground and leaves them there for someone else to pick up! Catch them before they leave the gun, put them in your shooting pouch, and throw them away if you do not reload.

Keep in mind that some clubs do not allow you to pick up shells and that the rules and customs vary from club to club. Most don't pick up shells at our club. Quite a few people come through during down times and scoop up the good hulls. (Don't try to reload RIOs).

Just depends on the club We rake our fields every night.