CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: acorns
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:07 pm 
Utility Grade

Need some info about acorns.
Anybody out there have some advice about the best way to cook/roast/boil them?
I tried boiling them in fresh water at least 4 times, then roasting, but they still had a slight bitter taste.
Should I boil in salt water? Longer? Slower? High heat? Low heat?

Thanks and God bless

Post subject: re: acorns
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have only had them in nut mix and ground and made as acorn bread neither of which I prepared.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:21 am 
Limited Edition

I would be interested in this aswell, because I had them at a friends house one time and they were good, just cracked the shell and ate them.

I can't figure out how they got that way. I can pick thousands every year but its pointless if I can't make them taste good.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Shoot wood duck, prepare as desired. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Boiling four times may not be enough. They are pretty troublesome to prepare. And if not done correctly, eaten in large amounts over time, the tannins can damage your kidneys.

Some acorns have very little tannin, some have lots. The acorns from the white oak (and other oaks that shed every year) tend to have the least bitterness/tannin. Harvest them from the ground and put on a cookie sheet in an oven @200 degrees for an hour or so. This kills the insects and mold, etc. Next, shuck them and remove the corky skin too, discarding any wormy or diseased looking ones. Place them in boiling water for about 15 minutes. Drain, add fresh water and repeat several times until water remains clear. The tannins will be gone.

You can eat them wet or put them back on a cookie sheet in a 200 degree oven for an hour or so.

Post subject: Re: acorns
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:03 am 
Tournament Grade

That boil/drain process is called leaching I believe and seems to be your best bet. I like this option as a longterm survival staple(Has protein and carbs) of course you would need to adopt non oven/kitchen equipment methods to use it. I looked into this a year or so ago and it seems that you might be able to use clays(We have a lot of poorly cohesive red clay in my region but i've never tried out this experiment) and leaves or bark to fashion a crude vessel in which to boil the acorns(Also your drinking water.) I've read that acorns were a staple crop for native americans(Among a diversity of other plants. Their diet consisted of a lot less game than you might believe.). I have some cherokee blood myself and I'm fascinated by the way they lived. I've had passed down to me a few local remedies and food sources but very little of the total knowledge they possessed about the region has survived as far as I can tell.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:31 pm 
Utility Grade

I have yet to try acorns but I was told similar info to what oneeyedjack said. The White Oak Group tends to have sweeter acorns versus the Red Oak group, or some people call it the Black oak Group. The White Oak Group of which there are many species have leaves with rounded lobes, and the Red Oak group, again there are many species, have leaves with pointed lobes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:14 am 
Tournament Grade

How'd your experiment turn out? I need to get off my butt i try somethin myself i suppose lol.

I had a suggestion for you guys. Try looking into "Indian turnups" as a food source. Have a hard time finding them right now tho. I'm not saying anyone should eat them without asking someone that knows what they're talking about(Not me). But i was taught by my pawpaw that you could dig them up and boil them for food. Supposedly if you don't boil them right it'll feel like a 1000 needles sticking in your tongue tho.

Also yellow root. You can boil it down to make some tea. Its a cure all but moslty its for stomach ache. had to actually use this once on a 5 day blackhaul/witchhazel bark harvesting trip. had about the same effect as drinking gingerail.

Does anyone know what blood root does? I was told it was poison and not to eat it. All i can find literature about is that is was used to paint "various areas of the female body" so as to attract a mate. I would really like to learn about the "tubers" and things that you can eat. I know flower and leaf buds are good during spring.

And this plant we call stigmus. when you dig it it smells awful. I accidently dig it up sometimes because even tho the leaves look nothing like ginseng, their general pattern resembles ginseng and when im in a big patch i don't think straight lol.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:32 am 
Tournament Grade

About the stigma. We call it that because that word means "sign" in dutch or french or something. I'm descended from this weird mountain dwelling ethnic group thats made of all the shunned people of this region(East tennessee). I don't know the english name for it but it stinks really bad when you dig it up. we call it stigmus(Sign) because it marks areas where there supposed to be a lot of the herbs we're looking for and or a source of fresh water. Also the herbs are supposed to be stronger than normal there. Something to do with "Fairies" :P