Shotgun Forum banner

Is this a good deal for a Red Label?

6K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  mudpack 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to shooting, having bought my first gun 2 years ago. I joined a rod and gun club last year and I have been working the sporting clays as a trapper, and I am getting the itch to buy an over/ under.
I was looking at a stoeger 3000 because it fits nicely into my budget, but as you can imagine, I've read more negative than positive about them. I came across a red label 20 gauge with 26 inch barrels for $799. and I was told that the price is firm. The serial number is 401-02008 which makes it a 1984 if I did my research correctly. Is that a fair price for a 27 year old red label? Is there anything I should know about that year of manufacture before I agree to pay that price? The gun is in (what I would consider) great condition. The wood is nicely grained and I didn't notice any dings or scratches. The barrels are in really nice shape. It comes with two choke tubes, improved cylinder, I think. One thing that I did notice is that the recoil pad is a bit off center. Not much but enough to notice.
I know you get what you pay for and I would like to be able to hand this down to my boy when he is older. Also, if it is 27 years old, that says something for quality right there.

Thanks for your input. Mike.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, 26 inch barrels are pretty far out of vogue, right now, though that doesn't keep them from breaking targets.
No, just because the gun is 27 years old doesn't say anything about quality. It may not have been shot much, that's all. Of course, there are some that have been shot a lot and performed flawlessly; maybe this one will be one of those. Overall, however, Red Labels do not have a good reputation for reliability.
If is cosmetically good and has choke tubes, $800 is probably a fair price, though shading toward the high side. Personally, I wouldn't pay it as I'm not a Red Label fan.

#3 ·
Vette,
Thanks for your reply. I have edited my original post to clarify some points. You are absolutely right about the age of the gun not saying anything for quality, as it may have sat in a closet for 26 of it's 27 years. Point taken. What is it about Red Labels that you don't care for, if you don't mind my asking.
Thanks, Mike.

#4 ·
Mike, that sounds like a fair deal. The 26" is my preference but you did not state your intended purpose. I am not a formal clay shooter but only a hunter and for the country I hunt in the 26" Red Labels work very well. That is the barrel length I have in all gauges.

#5 ·
$800 is on the steep side for any used Red Label, but especially so for one in such an undesirable configuration. I'd value the gun closer to $600, and that's if you are looking for a hunting gun. Since you mentioned sporting, I'll assume that's your interest... and be advised that you'll likely be the only one out there with a RRL...

#6 ·
flakeys2005 said:
Vette,
Thanks for your reply. I have edited my original post to clarify some points. You are absolutely right about the age of the gun not saying anything for quality, as it may have sat in a closet for 26 of it's 27 years. Point taken. What is it about Red Labels that you don't care for, if you don't mind my asking.
Thanks, Mike.
For me, the comb of every Red Label I've handled is way to low. When I shoulder the gun all I can see is the opening lever. Further, except for the 28 gauge, I think Red Labels are too heavy for field guns. Far too many that I seen used at our skeet field develop some sort of mechanical problem, such as fail-to-fire and the safety going on between shots on doubles.

#7 ·
I would sure like to know where I can get a mint 20ga RRL for $600. I check Gunbroker everyday, and I have never seen one sell for anywhere near that price. OK, I would prefer a 28ga for that price, but you get the point.

#8 ·
Beemanjohn said:
I would sure like to know where I can get a mint 20ga RRL for $600. I check Gunbroker everyday, and I have never seen one sell for anywhere near that price. OK, I would prefer a 28ga for that price, but you get the point.
Just because someone who is not in the market for one and does not care for them puts an absurd value out there is no reason is no reason to think you will find one that price. You might come across some drunk in a bar or some widow lady who has one and you can take advantage of, but in this part of the country it's not likely.

#10 ·
Thats why I put up the post. We had a guy who really wants to buy a gun, and another guy who is not in the market for a RRL who is telling him it is worth much less than it really is. If the guy wanting to buy a gun waits till he finds one for $600 he better find a new hobby, because he is not going to be shooting a mint 20ga RRL.

#11 ·
Beemanjohn-- I paid $400 for my 28ga RRL. That's a better deal than most will find, but when I see them on the boards at the clubs I frequent most sell in the $600 range.

In this case, it's a 26 inch gun with a poorly fitted recoil pad (you're approaching $100 to replace that) and it's 27 years old... a mid-80s gun. Far from a collectable, and not mint as described.

I don't think I'm that far off in my valuation.

#12 ·
Guns must sell a lot cheaper in NY than out here in the real world, but I would love a 28ga Ruger. If you can find a nice one with choke tubes for $600 please let me know. If I have not found one by that time I'll buy it.
Heck, for that price I might buy it even if I have one allready. Keep one, sell the other on Gunbroker and make some $$$.

#13 ·
28's don't come on the market very often, but I see 20's a 12's all the time for $600-- and people still have a hard time selling them.

Heck, with the economy as bad as it is right now, I know a fellow who just sold a Citori skeet gun for $600.

You just have to be patient. Good deals come along for those who are patient.

#15 ·
Dinosaur - you got some good deals in KY ,
I get to travel routinely through the 48 states and see some pretty good differences in price from region to region. Also I do belive the down economy is now staring to effect prices where a year ago I did not see it as much. And where I live there just is not as much interest in shooting sports as in the past. Certainly much less hunting.

#16 ·
You guns are killing me! I live in southeast Colorado where there are not a whole lot of people. About the only place I can even look for used RRLs are on the 'net. The cheapest RRL on Gunbroker right now is a 12-26 with worn off blueing on the reciever for $700. There is one 28ga on the for sale forum, but it is $825 for a 26". I have been looking for a long time and have never seen one for anywhere near those prices.
I'm going to a big gun show tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath.

#19 ·
Please turn me onto a new 500.00 28gauge. I'm in Western PA and willing to drive.

#20 ·
Listen, there's always someone that will find a better deal than you or a worse deal than you. On these forums you'll hear many stories of killer prices and many of them which may be true or a little bit of puffing. Check the prices in the classifieds, search Gunbroker etc and look in your area. When you're happy with a price in your area, buy the gun. A poster here telling you he sees RRL's for $500 everyday at multiple clubs isn't going to do you any good, unless he is your neighbor. I paid $600 for my RRl 12/26 with an english stock, original box, manual chokes etc, in good mechanical condition, but fair aesthetic condition. After refinishing the stock, it looks new. My concern wasn't what someone else thought of the configuration, price or gun itself, pnly that it fit my exact wants/needs, so I feel I got an excellent deal and furthermore haven't seen too many others even available in this particular configuration in my area. It may not have any collectors value, high resale, or whatever, but it's perfect for me. That's what you need to be concerned about and then go out and enjoy the gun. If you are looking to buy guns for investment/resale then you need to really do your homework and only buy what is going to get you more than you paid. If you are looking for a gun to use and enjoy, use your best judgement and know that you may sell it for a few dollars less than you paid after you get your use out of it. Good Luck!

#21 ·
Ducky's Dad said:
There was a 1993 20ga-28" for sale (blue) for $975. Sold in two days.
If it's the one I'm thinking of, that was a nice gun and worth the price. A blued frame gun with factory choke tubes is fairly scarce, and some guys prefer that to the stainless frame.
Which would make the gun flakey is looking at the same gun except for barrel length...and barrel length is a personal preference. I'd say $800 is not out of line at all...especially if he prefers the 26" barrels.
flakeys2005 said:
a red label 20 gauge with 26 inch barrels for $799. and I was told that the price is firm. The serial number is 401-02008 which makes it a 1984 if I did my research correctly...... Choke tubes...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.